News Article: Bettman "Oilers a well run, well owned team"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure if anybody caught the statement at the ASG but according to Bettman;

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman defends Edmonton Oilers organization

“To suggest that the Edmonton Oilers are in disarray or in trouble, I think is a gross overstatement,” said Bettman. “That franchise is well owned, well run, but they have some issues to deal with.”

“This is an incredibly competitive league and everybody wants to win,” Bettman said. “I know Daryl Katz and Bob Nicholson are committed to winning. The team is being provided with all the resources, but it’s tough to win.”

These are crucial thoughts coming from the commish, who either see's no problems here or isn't saying so. In anycase the comments are putting lipstick on a pig. Telling Oilers fans "its tough to win" is like throwing salt in wounds. As if we wouldn't know. The Oilers lose more than any team in the league in the current CBA.

But its startlingly tonedeaf that Bettman, in 2019, would opine with "Well run, well owned team"

But when one considers business side the comments become more clear. This is a team with a deep pockets owner that has a new funded arena, all proceeds of that arena, with improved revenue streams, and that has several arena district collorary projects that have given him some great return. Katz has already sold Edmonton Tower, which has been largely leased by the City of Edmonton, to an Alberta Crown Corp investment arm. Disclosures are that Katz made huge turn around on this deal in a very short time frame. It should be noted the City, and provinces(indirect) involvement in Edmonton Towers huge profits to this point.

As many have understood is its the real estate and property plays Katz has made in the Entertainment district that really transform revenues. Edmonton, that has historically had an office and tower suites glut has suddenly (I wasn't sure this was coming) become an investment darling in the portfolio of real estate investment and holdings that have seen huge pricing in Vancouver and Toronto. Suddenly Edmonton is touted as the value add for investors and development fund managers. With almost every tower touting attractive relative to Vancouver and Toronto pricing. So that the rental and lease towers being built in the district are selling a lot faster than could be expected. Mainly due to influx of outside investment coming to this market. This all spells gold to Katz who has hit a gusher on these developments.

In turn the Oilers Forbes valuations are higher than ever, and spectacular considering a perennial non playoff team.

David Staples: 'Any other market besides Edmonton would have abandoned the Oilers a long time ago': Sports business expert

Worthy to note the valuation of the Oilers franschise is now 540M, Over 5 times as much as it was in the 2004 season. Oilers revenues are twice as much as they were even in the Pronger cup final year, and the valuation of the org 4X increased in value in a mere 12 years.

So when Bettman is talking "well owned" he's talking dollars and cents. But when he's saying this org has good people that will figure out the on ice team he's talking out of his ass.

This thread exhibits that the actual performance of a club doesn't even matter, it doesn't even factor. In todays pro sports environments of massive corollary investments the on ice performance hardly even factors in the bottom line.
Take a look at the chart. The valuations and revenue in the respective years that this club made the playoffs barely did anything to move numbers forward. The biggest change that led to the Oilers being valuated differently, and the franchise worth much more, is the Arena and Entertainment (and real estate) district. It would be less sexy if it was just called the Real Estate district but its what the whole investment play is about.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bettman won’t throw any team or owner under the bus unless it’s imminently moving or the owner f***ed up.

The only time I recall him doing that was with Atlanta.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well it wouldn't be Bettmans job to make sure our were managed or that we make the right moves so what is he going to say?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bettman won’t throw any team or owner under the bus unless it’s imminently moving or the owner ****ed up.

The only time I recall him doing that was with Atlanta.

Oh I know, and I don't expect him to, and its not surprising to me that these are his statements. But I think it should be emphasized to the fans here, that these are the stated feelings of the Commish, that the Oilers are a "Well owned, well run team"

Fly that comment up the flagpole in contrast to the feelings of actual fans here, and pundits around the league.

What does surprise me is Bettman's comments are not being called out, at all. They should be.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well it wouldn't be Bettmans job to make sure our were managed or that we make the right moves so what is he going to say?

If Bettman had simply stated the team was "well owned and well run" and stuck to business side there would not be a reason for this thread. But Bettman stated this at the height of org dysfunction here and the recent firing of Chiarelli. Bettman stated this saying the org will "figure it out" and are "committed to winning"

The latter two are demonstrable fiction. When have the Oilers brain trust figured it out or showed commitment to winning? Those are lazy, poor thoughts expressed by Bettman, and with little connection to reality. That he at the end ties it together with the excuse "but its tough to win" made me lol.

One can tie the two thoughts together and its "Oilers are committed to winning but its tough to win"

How much faith can one have in such thoughts?

As my thread points out the only winning that matters is in bank accounts.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What Bettman saidif I read in between the lines is that the Oilers are a well run business .

The Oilers make money for now but another awful season or two should (at least i hope it should) decimate the Oilers profits.

That's exactly how I framed it in the thread. That Bettman here is engaging in verbal slight of hand. He's talking really about business, while alluding to on ice success.

As if all it takes is for all that proficient bean counting to turn into on ice success. When actually in a capped NHL league theres little correlation to business winning and on ice winning.

To wit the Rangers and Leafs rarely "figuring it out"

This thread though is in response to such bolded notions. I've demonstrated how this is simply not the case. Katz investment here won't even be appreciably impacted by winning or losing on ice. Its simply a real estate play, it was that all along, and with entertainment as a backdrop.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Bettman had simply stated the team was "well owned and well run" and stuck to business side there would not be a reason for this thread. But Bettman stated this at the height of org dysfunction here and the recent firing of Chiarelli. Bettman stated this saying the org will "figure it out" and are "committed to winning"

The latter two are demonstrable fiction. When have the Oilers brain trust figured it out or showed commitment to winning? Those are lazy, poor thoughts expressed by Bettman, and with little connection to reality. That he at the end ties it together with the excuse "but its tough to win" made me lol.

One can tie the two thoughts together and its "Oilers are committed to winning but its tough to win"

How much faith can one have in such thoughts.

As my thread points out the only winning that matters is in bank accounts.
I guess it is true that bettmans comments open the door to criticize him on it. It is proof about how much lip service he will give to owners who fork over cash and to orgs who get good arenas built for the league. The ones bettman will criticize are usually teams with arena issues.

I think most people know that bettman is always someone's puppet

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
From a business standpoint they are a well run team but that has more to do with the fan base then the people running it. Katz puts a lot of money into the team and the team is one of the best revenue generators in the league. The problem is that the “brilliant” minds running the teamnhave zero idea on how to build a winning team or obtain on ice results.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
From a business standpoint they are a well run team but that has more to do with the fan base then the people running it. Katz puts a lot of money into the team and the team is one of the best revenue generators in the league. The problem is that the “brilliant” minds running the teamnhave zero idea on how to build a winning team or obtain on ice results.

As per Op the business success is due to; A new funded arena with increased revenue potential. Katz getting all that arena renue, massive real estate and development in Arena district and these being hot sellers to speculative investment firms who have now turned their eyes to Edmonton (because Toronto and Vancouver are insanely expensive).

It doesn't much matter if the org is missing playoff revenues. Its a drop in the bucket compared to what Katz is raking in on the whole development or even the sale of Edmonton Tower.

In anycase the Oilers current valuation (Its only Forbes, I realize) potentially means that his initial investment of 200M in buying the Oilers just a decade ago has turned out quite well, and was a real estate investment shell game pretty much all along. Did Katz buy a hockey team or a conduit for a mega real estate investment play? The Oilers and concert entertainment I think are just backdrop scenery.

That's how all these entertainment "districts" roll. In the end its really about the real estate district. Its all about that.

Last edited:

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Of course they want to win. Who doesn't.

I think Katz is so terrified of losing he isn't letting go of who he trusts.

For all we know he may have a tighter grip on things now as he can say: "Look i trusted your guy (Chia) and he fucjed us so badly that it will take years to recover. I'm not letting that happen again.

Nobody will ever really know what is going on there.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I guess it is true that bettmans comments open the door to criticize him on it. It is proof about how much lip service he will give to owners who fork over cash and to orgs who get good arenas built for the league. The ones bettman will criticize are usually teams with arena issues.

I think most people know that bettman is always someone's puppet

Bettman to me is really the Commish of getting Arena's built and Entertainment districts devised. Its his biggest legacy. He's good at it, this aspect certainly creates wins for the owners. Not sure how much it works with the fans.

I think what people have so far missed in the thread (I made a mistake in how I chose the title) is that on ice winning and bottom line winning has no connection. Standings results in sports really don't matter. Only that people attend, only that people buy condos near arena's etc.

The more corollary these sporting enterprises become the less the results even matter. The bookies should be betting on the best real estate moves. Those are the big stories.

Katz has already won a relative Stanley Cup since purchasing the Oilers. But for the fans? Don't worry, the club is well run..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Of course they want to win. Who doesn't.

I think Katz is so terrified of losing he isn't letting go of who he trusts.

For all we know he may have a tighter grip on things now as he can say: "Look i trusted your guy (Chia) and he fucjed us so badly that it will take years to recover. I'm not letting that happen again.

Nobody will ever really know what is going on there.

Katz is winning, in his portfolios. Regardless of how the Oilers perform on ice that economic winning continues. For instance the profit of the sale of the Edmonton Tower is rumored to be in neighborhood of 250-300M. That would be equal to revenue generated by 10 successful playoff runs.

Katz hit the Real estate investment market here DT at an interesting time. Again he's brilliant at assessing unrealized potential. But its also interesting he's already at least with Edmonton Tower in sell mode. This suggests that his play here, all told, could be relative short term, vs long term in nature.

It took Katz only just one decade to parlay his buying of the Oilers to a funded arena, a built out entertainment district, and already a lucrative sale of Edmonton Tower. Despite all opposition and hurdles, this is a rapid pace and return on investments. Katz is set to make a killing.

Last edited:
Reactions: rboomercat90

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
well if read that correctly....

Chiarelli was pissing away his players because other teams needed them more than the oilers do because the oilers fans are so dumb they keep renewing tickets and spending money.

makes sense

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Katz is winning, in his portfolios. Regardless of how the Oilers perform on ice that economic winning continues. For instance the profit of the sale of the Edmonton Tower is rumored to be in neighborhood of 250-300M. That would be equal to revenue generated by 10 successful playoff runs.

Katz hit the Real estate investment market here DT at an interesting time. Again he's brilliant at assessing unrealized potential. But its also interesting he's already at least with Edmonton Tower in sell mode. This suggests that his play here, all told, could be relative short term, vs long term in nature.

It took Katz only just one decade to parlay his buying of the Oilers to a funded arena, a built out entertainment district, and already a lucrative sale of Edmonton Tower. Despite all opposition and hurdles, this is a rapid pace and return on investments. Katz is set to make a killing.

Katz isnt stupid he wouldn't have taken it on if there was no financial gain. I think his love of the OBC proves that his heart is in the team and winning. That is probably starting to wane as its been forever and hes tired of being the laughing stock of the league.

The money is keeping the team here. If he was losing money he would move the team. I dont doubt that for a minute.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers are a well run business. Good revenue etc. Heard good things from people who work for them. The hockey side of things, well the team building side at least hasn't been good in any wau

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Bettman loves the oilers and katz. His highest achievement in suckering a city to pay for a new arena. Too bad for him cities like Calgary are not total morons when it comes to this kind of thing.

He is a flat our liar because I do not think he is stupid. By almost any metric this team is run as poorly as any franchise in any sport anywhere product wise.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Bettman to me is really the Commish of getting Arena's built and Entertainment districts devised. Its his biggest legacy. He's good at it, this aspect certainly creates wins for the owners. Not sure how much it works with the fans.

I think what people have so far missed in the thread (I made a mistake in how I chose the title) is that on ice winning and bottom line winning has no connection. Standings results in sports really don't matter. Only that people attend, only that people buy condos near arena's etc.

The more corollary these sporting enterprises become the less the results even matter. The bookies should be betting on the best real estate moves. Those are the big stories.

Katz has already won a relative Stanley Cup since purchasing the Oilers. But for the fans? Don't worry, the club is well run..
vztc6Bw.gif

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure if anybody caught the statement at the ASG but according to Bettman;

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman defends Edmonton Oilers organization

“To suggest that the Edmonton Oilers are in disarray or in trouble, I think is a gross overstatement,” said Bettman. “That franchise is well owned, well run, but they have some issues to deal with.”

“This is an incredibly competitive league and everybody wants to win,” Bettman said. “I know Daryl Katz and Bob Nicholson are committed to winning. The team is being provided with all the resources, but it’s tough to win.”

These are crucial thoughts coming from the commish, who either see's no problems here or isn't saying so. In anycase the comments are putting lipstick on a pig. Telling Oilers fans "its tough to win" is like throwing salt in wounds. As if we wouldn't know. The Oilers lose more than any team in the league in the current CBA.

But its startlingly tonedeaf that Bettman, in 2019, would opine with "Well run, well owned team"

But when one considers business side the comments become more clear. This is a team with a deep pockets owner that has a new funded arena, all proceeds of that arena, with improved revenue streams, and that has several arena district collorary projects that have given him some great return. Katz has already sold Edmonton Tower, which has been largely leased by the City of Edmonton, to an Alberta Crown Corp investment arm. Disclosures are that Katz made huge turn around on this deal in a very short time frame. It should be noted the City, and provinces(indirect) involvement in Edmonton Towers huge profits to this point.

As many have understood is its the real estate and property plays Katz has made in the Entertainment district that really transform revenues. Edmonton, that has historically had an office and tower suites glut has suddenly (I wasn't sure this was coming) become an investment darling in the portfolio of real estate investment and holdings that have seen huge pricing in Vancouver and Toronto. Suddenly Edmonton is touted as the value add for investors and development fund managers. With almost every tower touting attractive relative to Vancouver and Toronto pricing. So that the rental and lease towers being built in the district are selling a lot faster than could be expected. Mainly due to influx of outside investment coming to this market. This all spells gold to Katz who has hit a gusher on these developments.

In turn the Oilers Forbes valuations are higher than ever, and spectacular considering a perennial non playoff team.

David Staples: 'Any other market besides Edmonton would have abandoned the Oilers a long time ago': Sports business expert

Worthy to note the valuation of the Oilers franschise is now 540M, Over 5 times as much as it was in the 2004 season. Oilers revenues are twice as much as they were even in the Pronger cup final year, and the valuation of the org 4X increased in value in a mere 12 years.

So when Bettman is talking "well owned" he's talking dollars and cents. But when he's saying this org has good people that will figure out the on ice team he's talking out of his ass.

This thread exhibits that the actual performance of a club doesn't even matter, it doesn't even factor. In todays pro sports environments of massive corollary investments the on ice performance hardly even factors in the bottom line.
Take a look at the chart. The valuations and revenue in the respective years that this club made the playoffs barely did anything to move numbers forward. The biggest change that led to the Oilers being valuated differently, and the franchise worth much more, is the Arena and Entertainment (and real estate) district. It would be less sexy if it was just called the Real Estate district but its what the whole investment play is about.

It's sports entertainment. It's a live Television show called Hockey.

Reactions: Dark Ambient

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad