Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
missK said:
Inside info from a friend who works at CNBC.........seems that Gary Bettman was at CNBC today and Wayne Gretzky was piped in live from Los Angeles. They are both appearing on the McEnroe show tonight at 10pm on CNBC.

With McEnroe's rating no one is gonna see it. No joke i heard that last week his rating were so bad the only cable show he beat was The Food Networks "How to Boil Water"

bradp

Oct 30, 2004
Vancouver
I was the one who saw it

I may have been the only one to see the interview with Gretzky. It was very interesting. After initial pleasentries .. they got into the lockout ... if Chelios thinks #99 should be the commish he is nuts. Gretzky said that Bettman is the best man for the job and that Wayne is 100% behind him ."Bettman is the best commish in pro sports"

Gretzky went on to say that owners cannot keep losing money .. for example in Phoenix to keep losing 15-20 million$ per year is not sustainable.
Players today ARE overpaid, said the Great One .... something must be done to correct the rise in salaries ... hockey hasn't caught on in the USA and as a result there is no TV deal.
Wayne said that he understands the comradery between the players but this time the owners are left with no options ... the owners must have something in place that seriously deals with the issues.

Considering all that ive heard about other players ie Commodore, speaking out ... im shocked that nobody has brought up Gretzky's comments ... since he is definitely behind Bettman and the owners.

Regarding coaching - he's thinking about it ... definitely.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
bradp said:
Gretzky went on to say that owners cannot keep losing money .. for example in Phoenix to keep losing 15-20 million$ per year is not sustainable.
Players today ARE overpaid, said the Great One .... something must be done to correct the rise in salaries ... hockey hasn't caught on in the USA and as a result there is no TV deal.
Wayne said that he understands the comradery between the players but this time the owners are left with no options ... the owners must have something in place that seriously deals with the issues.

Will Chelios listen?

X0ssbar

bradp said:
I may have been the only one to see the interview with Gretzky. It was very interesting. After initial pleasentries .. they got into the lockout ... if Chelios thinks #99 should be the commish he is nuts. Gretzky said that Bettman is the best man for the job and that Wayne is 100% behind him ."Bettman is the best commish in pro sports"

Considering all that ive heard about other players ie Commodore, speaking out ... im shocked that nobody has brought up Gretzky's comments ... since he is definitely behind Bettman and the owners.

Regarding coaching - he's thinking about it ... definitely.

Some good info. I caught Bettman but missed Gretzky.

bradp

Oct 30, 2004
Vancouver
Re: Will Chelios listen?

That's a good question ... considering Chelios doesn't make sense most of the time anyway ... I get the feeling he didn't think this one through before he said it. He probably just assumed #99 would be on the side of 'No Cap', and the players. I think if anyone actually watched this McEnroe interview, it would be bigger news. In Canada every sound bite from any player is scrutenized and replayed etc, how this got by un-noticed amazes me.

Chelios should listen. In fact sooner or later Waynes opinions will become more public and in the NHL when #99 speaks, players will listen or risk losing all public support.

Careful what you wish for Chelios ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->