Bettman & Goodenow to hear the fans

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by ehc73, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. ehc73

ehc73 Registered User

CS Student
    Home Page:
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=99365

On the National, Mansbridge will interview Bettman and Goodenow on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. Each bigwig will be taking calls from fans (probably selectively screened so someone won't start screaming incoherently at them).

This is just a PR move and will likely have no effect whatsoever. And we'll just hear more of the same crap spewing from their mouths about whatever the hell they choose to focus on ($300 M in losses! Owner's fault! $1.3 M is plenty! Marketplace!). :shakehead

2. Digger12

Digger12 Gold Fever

Technical Analyst
    What a waste of TV time.

Seems like a lot of wasted effort for minimal gain IMO. Does it really matter whose fault it is at this point?

Oh well, the PR dance will continue until both sides start to take substantial financial hits.

3. Chili

Chili Registered User

They need to be talking to each other.

4. DuklaNation

DuklaNation Registered User

Believe me, if there were more public pressure on the players, they would back off their hard stance in these negotiations. Anyone with half a brain can see that too many teams are not viable financially.

5. YellHockey*

YellHockey* Guest

The player's hard stance? The players are the ones that have made concessions in their alleged proposals. The owners are the ones making all the demands and have locked the players out.

And what would impact would public pressure have on the players? Do you really think that they'd give in because the owners have brainwashed the public that is jealous of the players' millions but not the owners' billions?

As for the half a brain comment, it is sad that there are so many people out there with only half a brain that actually believe the owners at face value. Those with fully functioning brains should see the owners' bs and half-truths from a mile away.

6. Cawz

Cawz Registered User

Home Page:
    The players have a hard stance. So do the owners. Thats why they are at a stand still.

And what inpact would public pressure have on the players? Nothing. I think we all know that.

And as for your half brain full brain comments, most people on here seems to be able to embrace both perspectives. Some, like yourself, seem to only be looking from one side. Looking at a few of your comments, you seem to be the polar opposite of the bias people that simply state "the greedy players make too much to play a game blah blah blah".

Everyone involved in this dispute loves this game, and they believe their position is for the betterment of hockey. What is this CBC forum going to accomplish? Nothing but get CBC ratings for the next 2 nights. Both sides might as well just pre-record their rhetoric. Cost certainty! Market value! 200 million is losses! Correction already happening!

7. Legolas

Legolas Registered User

Public pressure is one of the reasons the NBA player's association caved on their last CBA. The only way the two sides will resume negotiating in my opinion is if one side realizes they can't afford to lose the season. Traditionally, that's been the owners. This time, I think it will be the players. I've heard far more anti-player sentiment this time around than in 1994. Eventually, the players will get sick of playing in Europe or the AHL and will get sick of not being paid their salaries. The only question is will that point occur before the owners have to give in or not?

8. ladybugblue

ladybugblue Registered User

Graduate student
    If you have Directv you may be able to watch these shows. There is a channel called News World International that shows Canada news and it is CBC. They also show The National in the evenings. I am going to record it to see if it will be on. I just thought some people may be interested down in the U.S. if they get Directv or this news channel. Not sure if this will accomplish anything but I hope the fans are able to at the very least voice their disguist at both parties for NOT continuing to negoitiate.

9. How do we send questions to them?

I want to ask Bob if he has ever studied Economics and does he understand what he talks about, because it seems he knows nothing of what he talking about.

10. GabbyDugan

GabbyDugan Registered User

This should work...

http://www.cbc.ca/national/

11. thinkwild

thinkwild Veni Vidi Toga

I remember the famous town hall meeting when CBC found that waitress to ask Jean Chretien questions and coached her how to not take no for an answer. and boy did she ever let him have it. Chretien was dumbfounded.

I sure hope they find some fans like that to hammer these two guys.

Hopefully at least one person will watch this and tell us if they said anything.

12. hockeytown9321

hockeytown9321 Registered User

Well, since I live in Detroit, I can watch this. I already sent my question in: Why did Bettman extend the CBA in 1999 when he knew it was ruining hockey that same year?

13. Malefic74

Malefic74 Registered User

Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
    Home Page:
    I picked up EA's NHL 2005 yesterday. I installed it and went to play a game and my PC crashed. Guess if it's in the game, it really is in the game.

14. Elyoric

Elyoric Registered User

I'm sure it was in his curriculum, however when you become a lawyer you're automatically an expert on everything.

Awesome.

E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.