Bettman goes to Russia today.Tells them to take it or leave it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skroob*

is the KGB still around? Wouldn't be too shocked if he were do "disappear" on the way back to the airport.

Master Shake*

Skroob said:
is the KGB still around? Wouldn't be too shocked if he were do "disappear" on the way back to the airport.

Nobody can say Bettman doesnt have balls.
A great commish

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
Put doug mclean in charge of "transportation" for russian players. He made some alright plans with Zherdev last year.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
"Master Shake" said:
NHL will not honor any Russian contracts and take its players at will
Yes, but deal provides the same thing, but without deal ... lets compare :

With deal:
- NHL team can bring palyer who is under contract in Russia;
- NHL team will pay some peanuts;
- RST team can not bring player who is under contract in NHL;

Without deal :
- NHL team will not pay some peanuts;
- RSL team can bring player who is under contract in NHL;
- RSL team will not pay for it too;

I'd prefer second variant :D

Last edited:

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Small men with big plans usually don't fare too well in Russia...

Kaizer said:

With deal:

Without deal :

900k for a good prospect is hardly peanuts, and lets not get back to overstating how the RSL will start stealing NHL players left and right. It AIN'T gonna happen. The odd marginal north american will go over, a handful of Euros who can't adapt to the North American style or are at the end of their careers and a few mid level Russian players who will never make the really high-end dollars in the NHL and would rather play at home are all they will get. If that is worth it to them to lose the likes of Ovechkin, Malkin, Zherdev, etc... for free, then I guess it's win-win since the NHL make off like bandits if the RSL is unwilling to sign a deal like this.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Does Gary think he is negotiating against Bob Goodenow again? ;)

Gary better not eat his food.Look at what happened to the president of Ukraine.He was poisoned and his face was disfigured

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Master Shake said:
Tells Russia they will take the deal or get nothing and NHL will not honor any Russian contracts and take its players at will. That is roughly translated. Perhaps someone who speaks both languages can explain better.

Hes supposedly on his way to Czech to tell them the same thing. :handclap:

http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2005/08/a_343954.shtml

http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?107438
In my opinion this is utterly brazen. If they take the players they can at least pay some real compensation or wait til the contracts are done.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Master Shake said:
Tells Russia they will take the deal or get nothing and NHL will not honor any Russian contracts and take its players at will. That is roughly translated. Perhaps someone who speaks both languages can explain better.

Hes supposedly on his way to Czech to tell them the same thing. :handclap:

So if the russians were annoyed at the NHL before, they will be furious after this.

Dec 29, 2004
Kaizer said:

With deal:

Without deal :

Ok. But don't expect a flood wave of quality players coming over. The NHL is still the place to be.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Wisent said:
In my opinion this is utterly brazen. If they take the players they can at least pay some real compensation or wait til the contracts are done.

That is what the transfer agreement is about. The RIF knows that it is open season on their players if they dont sign. Their risk.

The NHLPA already tried to squeeze more out of Bettman & the owners and got kicked to the curb as a result.

The very, very corrupt Russian Ice Hockey Federation wants to try as well? Fine. Kick em too.

The only unfortunate thing about the Russians and Czechs not signing is no pros at the olympics. Well, I'll get over it, and I suspect most fans will as well.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Resolute said:
The only unfortunate thing about the Russians and Czechs not signing is no pros at the olympics. Well, I'll get over it, and I suspect most fans will as well.

Though that will benefit the european teams at the Olympics, since they can use players from their domestic leagues but the north americans can't use any players from the NHL/AHL.

Master Shake*

Egil said:
Why is the transfer agreement key to the Olympics? I fail to see the connection.

The NHL allows players to go play in the Olympics. Now the NHL doesnt shut down for the Olympics and doesnt allow its players under contract to go play in them.

I dont blame the NHL one bit for this. They refuse to let their wallets be held hostage. :handclap:

Any players leaving the NHL to play in Russia are the type who will hardly be missed. :)

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I still don't understand. The NHL, right now, has released its schedule with an Olympic break. So what is the NHL going to do? Sit around and do nothing for 2 weeks?

The NHL may use the Olympics as leverage, but at this point I would say they are comitted. I don't see how a transfer agreement would change Olympic participation.

Master Shake*

Egil said:
I still don't understand. The NHL, right now, has released its schedule with an Olympic break. So what is the NHL going to do? Sit around and do nothing for 2 weeks?

The NHL may use the Olympics as leverage, but at this point I would say they are comitted. I don't see how a transfer agreement would change Olympic participation.

Maybe put in an allstar game? Maybe let them play one last one? Who knows.

LuLuBelle

Jul 8, 2005
I have a question. Wasn't the CBA ratified under the conditional premise that the IIHF/NHL agreement would be signed?

since the condition wasn't met because it wasn't signed, wouldn't that nullify the CBA entirely?

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
What is this transfer fee about? If a player is under contract with a russian team is at that team discretion if they want or don't want to let him go. The player should honour his contract, shouldn't he? And after all, if he doesn't isn't he personally liable as specified in the contract? The team could sue his ass. I don't understand how could NHL snatch under contrcat player. Those who aren't under contract, they are fare game, why would anyone pay a fee for that.
Than again, I don't really know what this is about, so if I spoke nonsense, plaese clarify.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
honestly if contracts aren't honoured then thats great, malkin will be able to come over.. its in the NHL's interest anyways... plus i want to get this done before the opening night and not drag on and threaten the olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad