Bettman: Expectations for record revenue

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
From the PrimeTime Sports Management Conference and Trade Show yesterday

According to Commissioner Bettman, preliminary data suggests the League is on pace to set a record for revenue this season. The current record is $3.3 billion, which the League took in during the 2011-12 season.

"The preliminary data, and it's preliminary, looks strong, but I'm not comfortable with disclosing it at this point," Commissioner Bettman said.

He said the League is playing to approximately 95 percent capacity in all arenas and that television ratings are on the rise in most markets, both locally and nationally.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=690967&navid=nhl:topheads

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
From the PrimeTime Sports Management Conference and Trade Show yesterday

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=690967&navid=nhl:topheads

"He said the League is playing to approximately 95 percent capacity in all arenas"

Is there any source, any data to back this claim up because when you see some teams(I will not name any) their arenas are half empty. We all knew that that revenue's were going to go up because of the new Canadian TV contract and mostly because the Canadian teams are bringing most of the revenue's.

DyerMaker66*

"He said the League is playing to approximately 95 percent capacity in all arenas"

Is there any source, any data to back this claim up because when you see some teams(I will not name any) their arenas are half empty. We all knew that that revenue's were going to go up because of the new Canadian TV contract and mostly because the Canadian teams are bringing most of the revenue's.
For the sake of argument, he could simply be using the average announced attendance, which might not be far off.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
For the sake of argument, he could simply be using the average announced attendance, which might not be far off.

The average, based on the OVERALL attendance (both HOME and AWAY) is: 94.25.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

There are Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics...

th

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
If Gary Bettman said the sun rises in the East and the sky is blue; I still wouldn't believe it. This man's credibility is worse than that of a congressman.

I remember all those times he said "The League has never been healthier. Every franchise is doing record business." And who can ever forget this immortal line; "The NHL is back in Atlanta to stay. There are no plans to move this franchise."

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This is great news for people who like lockouts.

Yup.

Remember when so many people were predicting that that last lockout would cause irreparable harm for the league?

Wonder if those same people are going to be making those claims during the next lockout that will definitely happen when this CBA expires because fans haven't given any incentive to them to try to avoid work stoppages yet...

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yup.

Remember when so many people were predicting that that last lockout would cause irreparable harm for the league?

Wonder if those same people are going to be making those claims during the next lockout that will definitely happen when this CBA expires because fans haven't given any incentive to them to try to avoid work stoppages yet...

Yep. The league knows for sure now that every 7-8 years they can take a 4-8 month sabbatical, during which time the poorer owners save some money, and at the end of it, all of the owners get to share in a 10-20% claw back of the salary commitments they made over the course of the CBA.

Everybody (except for the players and the fans) wins! :shakehead

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
There is a difference between marketing a team directly and having a winning product on the ice. People in Edmonton are starting to slowly realize it.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
There is a difference between marketing a team directly and having a winning product on the ice. People in Edmonton are starting to slowly realize it.

Even when you don't put a winning product on the ice and you market your team well you can do things finically(just ask the Toronto Maple Leafs ). Edmonton is selling out it's building by th way.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Yes, how ironic is that, eh? The only way Winnipeg gets a playoff team may be.... to send a message to ownership by not showing up to games :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The Maple Leafs are an example for nobody. They don't make money because they are marketed correctly. They make money because there is a bigger disparity between supply and demand than basically any other entertainment product on earth.

The Maple Leafs do well because of external factors. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yep. The league knows for sure now that every 7-8 years they can take a 4-8 month sabbatical, during which time the poorer owners save some money, and at the end of it, all of the owners get to share in a 10-20% claw back of the salary commitments they made over the course of the CBA.

Everybody (except for the players and the fans) wins! :shakehead

That pretty much sums it up. When Bettman was asked if he was concerned of the ramifications during the last lockout, he wasn't because ' NHL fans are be best in the world'.. I guess at the end of the day he was right :sarcasm:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
If Gary Bettman said the sun rises in the East and the sky is blue; I still wouldn't believe it. This man's credibility is worse than that of a congressman.

I remember all those times he said "The League has never been healthier. Every franchise is doing record business." And who can ever forget this immortal line; "The NHL is back in Atlanta to stay. There are no plans to move this franchise."

A google search of this quote found only one result - this post where you claim Bettman said that. Who's credibility is shot now?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yup.

I'm not sure fans have that much power either way. Show up, or don't show up, and the owners and the PA will either be fighting over a larger pie, or fighting, possibly even more viciously, over a smaller pie.

The bright side in the work stoppages is that it's going back the other way. There was a short strike, then a half season missed, then a full season, then a half season. Maybe the work stoppages hit their peak in 2005.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Yes, how ironic is that, eh? The only way Winnipeg gets a playoff team may be.... to send a message to ownership by not showing up to games :laugh::laugh::laugh:

How else could you defend paying thousands of dollars for a seat to watch a losing product and know that there will gladly be 5 others to take your place?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
A google search of this quote found only one result - this post where you claim Bettman said that. Who's credibility is shot now?

The infamous comment was made in Jan/Feb before Moyes put the Coyotes into BK court. It was along the lines that the media was making things up and that all 30 franchises had the opportunity to thrive thanks to the new economic landscape-- or something lawyer-speakish.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It's funny how you get the positive spin from Bettmen on revenues going up, but never any comment on how those increasing revenues are going to hurt the bottom half of the league, when the salary cap floor has to come along for the ride....

Oh yeah.... That's what the next lockout will address.... sorry, I forgot.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Record business doesn't mean record profits.

So it's his fault that the owners did everything possible to get the team out of the building, and thus out of town.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The infamous comment was made in Jan/Feb before Moyes put the Coyotes into BK court. It was along the lines that the media was making things up and that all 30 franchises had the opportunity to thrive thanks to the new economic landscape-- or something lawyer-speakish.

The use of quotation marks implies a quote, not 'Gee whiz, well he kinda sorta said something to that effect, and what I typed is a close enough hallucination of what I think he said'.

'Every team has the opportunity to thrive' and 'every team is doing record business' aren't even in the same universe.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The use of quotation marks implies a quote, not 'Gee whiz, well he kinda sorta said something to that effect, and what I typed is a close enough hallucination of what I think he said'.

'Every team has the opportunity to thrive' and 'every team is doing record business' aren't even in the same universe.

Well hopefully someone with a little more time today and good search skills can find the original quote. It's always entertaining, at least. :)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm not sure fans have that much power either way. Show up, or don't show up, and the owners and the PA will either be fighting over a larger pie, or fighting, possibly even more viciously, over a smaller pie.

The bright side in the work stoppages is that it's going back the other way. There was a short strike, then a half season missed, then a full season, then a half season. Maybe the work stoppages hit their peak in 2005.

Major League Baseball used to be the most labor contentious league out there. Then they had a massive, multi-year fan backlash that resulted in big declines in revenue and attendance that lasted until the home run chase, which scared both players and owners alike.

Now they've had 20 years of labor peace.

Fans do have a voice if they're willing to not be taken for granted, and so far NHL fans have shown a willingness to come running back like it never happened. MLB fears the consequences of a work stoppage, the NHL doesn't.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Oh look, jolly Bettman is back.

"Everything's the greatest of the great greats. Record Revenues! Record Attendance!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->