Bettman comments @ ASG 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

Your assertion that the Canadian dollar was particularly significant in the growth of league revenues has already been utterly refuted elsewhere. You never did come up with a CAD source for the several hundred million dollars the BEST CASE SCENARIO for your argument required accounting for.

Utterly refuted? Utterly? Ike, you wound me, mon ami.

I'd love to have the HRR in CAD. LOVE IT. Two things, Ike. The CAD was ONE part of it. The other part of it was organic growth in the Cdn markets + the guys in the US who always made money to begin with. Except Chicago. And maybe Pittsburgh and Washington.

Find me any other US team that has had fantabulous growth in HRR since the lockout. Also, please show me that the revenue gap between the teams that always made money and the have not's hasn't widened.

If I can get you to fill in the blanks here, we'll work on the rest of your post. :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Bettman said, "Ripping a franchise out of one city in violation of League rules and procedures to put it somewhere else isn't the way we do business. and comparisons to Quebec and Winnipeg aren't valid, because we couldn't find anybody who wanted to own the teams there."

At the time Winnipeg had an ownership group in place ready to buy the Jets and keep them in Winnipeg, but Bettman claimed that group ownership was not permitted in the NHL. He wanted one owner, no groups, because having a group ownership was against league rules. So the potential Winnipeg ownership group was told to go away.

Then, after the Jets where taken out of Winnipeg and shipped to Phoenix, he allowed an ownership group in Edmonton. Edmonton had something like 60 owners at one time.

So whats the truth? According to the NHL constitution:

3.2 Eligibility. Any person, firm, association, or corporation that meets the criteria for membership set from time to time by the BoG may be eligible for membership.

So in Winnipeg's case, Bettman told a potential ownership group they were not welcome because it was against the constitution, but in Edmonton's case it was well within the rules to have group ownership.

"It's not a lie, when the teller knows the truth"

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Bettman said, "Ripping a franchise out of one city in violation of League rules and procedures to put it somewhere else isn't the way we do business. and comparisons to Quebec and Winnipeg aren't valid, because we couldn't find anybody who wanted to own the teams there."

At the time Winnipeg had an ownership group in place ready to buy the Jets and keep them in Winnipeg, but Bettman claimed that group ownership was not permitted in the NHL. He wanted one owner, no groups, because having a group ownership was against league rules. So the potential Winnipeg ownership group was told to go away.

Then, after the Jets where taken out of Winnipeg and shipped to Phoenix, he allowed an ownership group in Edmonton. Edmonton had something like 60 owners at one time.

So whats the truth? According to the NHL constitution:

3.2 Eligibility. Any person, firm, association, or corporation that meets the criteria for membership set from time to time by the BoG may be eligible for membership.

So in Winnipeg's case, Bettman told a potential ownership group they were not welcome because it was against the constitution, but in Edmonton's case it was well within the rules to have group ownership.

"It's not a lie, when the teller knows the truth"

Not precisely. The league will allow an ownership group without a single source core if it can be convinced that the group is stable and secure enough to maintain the franchise. This is SOLELY at the league's discretion. The Winnipeg group never even came close. The Edmonton group did, but note even with a genius at its helm (Cal Nichols) and far better support than Winnipeg had, the group almost fell apart at least once and needed multiple cash calls. It's a HUGE risk for the league to take to allow it.

Winnipeg wasn't rejected simply because it was against the rules. It just failed to demonstrate why an exception should have been made in its case... probably because despite YEARS where it could have formed, by the end it STILL didn't have what it needed to have to satisfy the league. They had plenty of opportunity to do so, it just wasn't there.

CC Chiefs*

It is amazing that some think the words yes and no can be taken out of context? Are there any easier words in the English language to understand the meaning of?

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Wrong. As the question became more detailed he simply adjusted to the different context of what was being asked. The initial "no" does not mean what you think it means, Bettman was simply rejecting the slant MacLean was attempting to put on the situation. It's not a lie.

It wasn't a slant. MacLean quoted the NHL's lawyers as to what Bettman had said, Bettman said No it wasn't about saving Moyes from public embarassment. MacLean confronts Bettman with his own quote in an article and he flip flops and says yes it was about saving Moyes from public embarassment. No slant. It was a simple No to a simple yes.

And don't presume to give me advice on my own points.

You may have a past experience of pushing your points via bully tactics rather than real arguments, but it won't fly with me.

One would think that if you have acknowledged you have no idea what the NHL did or didn't know should be a hint that you probably aren't in a position to castigate them for the outcome.

Let me get this straight. You are stating my assessment is incorrect because I don't have the inside knowledge of what the league processes are for due dilligence. Yet you are saying the league used adequate means even though you have no idea what processes were used. I quantify my statement by a track record of a decade of debacles in ownership. You don't quantify your stance with any source, but choose to hang on my lack of working with the NHL as the counterpoint to my argument. Clever sir.. you don't actually have to say or prove anything, you just have to reapet "You're wrong you're wrong"over and over ad nauseum.

Yes, you are, but as you have admitted, you don't actually have any idea what the league is doing to check up on these people nor do you know what information was even available that they should have gotten. In essence, you complain about problems without knowing if there was ever even an alternative. You are arguing from ignorance.

I am arguing from a point of track record. You are arguing from the point of arguing.

And yet, the mortgage meltdown happened anyways.

Yes... many of us saw it coming years before it happened and have profited from it in fine fashion.

Regardless, you haven't actually pointed to any comparable "smoking gun" for the league. You apparently simply assume they should have known, presumably via the aforementioned tarot cards and crystal balls.
Guys who hoodwinked major financial institutions managed to also mislead a hockey league with a tiny fraction of the same resources, who would have thought. Next time the league should hire financial experts with access to time machines to satisfy you.

Let's look at Del Biaggio then...

1. Part of his disclosed financials was a 4 million dollar loan.... from his own bank. Anyone worth their salt in due dilligence would see this as a huge red flag. Major conflict of interest.

2. He borrowed money behind closed doors from Craig Leipold. The NHL changed their operating processes as a result of this. By making any change in process they admit they had a shortcoming and needed to re-vamp.

3. A damn Canucks Blogger had major questions as to Boot's financial wherewithal prior to the deal being done. If Tom Benjamin (link) can smell a rat wouldn't the NHL be able to smell a rat?

4. Of course this wasn't a unique scenario... Only 10 years removed from the John Spano fraud, which in fact was a horse of the exact same colour.

In summary, I will state this. The pattern that reveals itself is that in the interests concerning profitable teams in secure markets, the NHL manages to find sound owners. Teams that are in a state of flux and losing money annually, in general, are a tough sell. As such the NHL has a track record of taking anyone who can at least make it appear as if they have the fortitude to own a franchise.

Then we continue to wait for a first lie.

Definition:
A lie (also called prevarication, falsehood) is a known untruth expressed as truth.

A lie is a type of deception in the form of an untruthful statement, especially with the intention to deceive others, often with the further intention to maintain a secret or reputation, protect someone's feelings or to avoid a punishment or repercussion for one's actions. To lie is to state something that one knows to be false or that one does not honestly believe to be true with the intention that a person will take it for the truth.

I hope this helps. I am more than happy to provide definitions on any other basic 3-letter words you require assistance with.

No, it's you either wilfully or accidentally twisting the situation to pretend it's a lie. You aren't a G&M writer, are you?

Ohhhh you got me there. :laugh:

No, really, this one statement of yours indicates a BRUTAL lack of understanding of what these people are doing. The league keeps the pressure ratcheted up as part of the give and take of negotiations, to get the best possible deal for their team, because they HAVE that leverage.

I understand what they are doing, Ike... I get it. My point is that it osn't the COG's job to find an owner for the franchise and subsidize said owner because the league has decided that they will not sell the team for market value. They chastized Moyes for wanting the ability to sell the team for top dollar, but when they are wearing the shoes they won't take the hit.

I'm not condemning the choice. Being faced with eating over $100 million, I can't blame them. It is the correct fiscal choice. That being said, they are officially not doing everything possible. They are doing what they are willing to do. Doing everything would be selling the team for 50 -70 million which is, in my opinion a high valuation for the Coyotes. I would like to re-direct your attention to my above posting of the definition of the word lie.

Nobody said anything about bluffing and the fact you assumed it was being referred to pretty much clinches that you don't really understand poker at all. It's not about bluffing, and if you only play when you have the nuts, you will never win anything. It's about knowing the odds and therefore knowing what bets to take and what bets to fold to.

You're Poker metaphor relates nothing on the world of business. Now you are changing the shape of that metaphor... talk about revisionism... :shakehead

Every new owner in the league is a risk of some sort in the sense that you can only know so much about them. Sometimes they prove less than worthy, but as you've not actually provided any alternatives for the league to discover the criminals beforehand, your complaints that they don't really can't be taken seriously.
No one respects someone who only complains without offering solutions in return. So be my guest, tell us what the league SHOULD have done, and be specific as to what they did and did not do. Use no evidence that wasn't available at the time. Starting now, you're on the clock.

Hehehe... yeah.. you can never completely know anyone... geez. This is your whiz-bang stance on the league's recent gaffes in ownership selection. You are correct, I never had any intent on describing what the NHL should have done. I made one line stating that the league was sloppy in their selection of owners in recent years. Now its on my shoulders to offer my ideas to improve how the BOG selects their partners. How about a start with using actual original documents for financials, rather than photocopies that are easily doctored. I'll email you the rest of my report.. :laugh:

You don't happen to be in the employ of the NHL?? I would love to send you my resume. :laugh: :biglaugh:

So it should be easy for you to show us where the league didn't do its research and diligence, shouldn't it? Clock's ticking.

You can stop the clock now I guess... :laugh:

And so does the league, and yet here you are complaining that they didn't. My guess is because you think you've been successful at "being a part of ventures", therefore all the league had to do was do the same thing and they would have been as clever about their business dealings as you apparently are.
Seems kinda arrogant, doesn't it?
I guess we'll find out when you post your evidence of a lack of due diligence on the league's part. Tick... tick... tick

I've never taken the stance the league hasn't been a successful venture. There are what? 12 teams showing even a minimal profit... that which prop up the remaining 18 that range from being on the bubble to being over their heads. The model used isn't for me to decide... that would be very arrogant.

Ike, the problem with trying to be a 'Bully' debater is that louder doesn't make you right. In a desperate attempt to 'hang on' you just keep pushing the same issues and expand on them to new regions in hope of having the last word. You've run into a person who is equally as stubborn.

I will suggest for your next post again... not for any benefit, just out of simple spite because now I know it something that gets under your skin. How about you start using some real data or examples to back up your stance. Stop personalizing the issues and just get back on point.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Find me any other US team that has had fantabulous growth in HRR since the lockout. Also, please show me that the revenue gap between the teams that always made money and the have not's hasn't widened.

Well, I wouldnt call it "fantabulous" with the exception of the NYR, however, according to Forbes & SBJ, Minny, NJ, Pitts, Philly & Boston have all enjoyed a surge in HRR since the lockout. Wirtz Sr. "claimed" losses of $191M over the 10yr period ending in 2007 but in reality when 1/2 of all rev's from the United Center (the other 1/2 with the Bulls) is included the Hawks are quite profitable. Detroit's HRR have also ascended, and of course if Ilitch succeeds in acquiring the Pistons, he'll build a new arena, likely start a regional 3 sport (including the Tigers) sports channel & bundle sponsorships to cover all 3 teams. How that pans out in light of recent developments in MI remains to be seen.

The fact remains however, that of the 24 US based teams, only 8 are showing black ink in HRR, another 4-5 teeter-tottering; the remainder relying on Capital Cash Calls from the principals & or the creative blending on non-HRR into hockey operations, not to mention their shares of Rev-Sharing in order to meet their obligations. San Jose' in particular does a "fantabulous" job in that regard, as do most teams ownership groups, so its not quite the Armageddon as prognosticated by many here & elsewhere for the NHL just quite yet. Clearly the CBA needs an overhaul, and IMO a few teams moved, but yes, I think we can point to several teams in the states that the current systems working for. And yes Fugu, the gap is wide between the 2 main bodies. No more middle class, and thats a serious problem, and one that frighteningly has transcended the NHL & most of the other leagues into a societal one as well.

Is it a fantabulous night for a Moondance?. Well, its full & their are strange goings on in Phoenix, Atlanta, Columbus, Miami, Dallas, Colorado & Long Island to be sure, buts its more Motown than a funereal Mummers March. Cant think of a better guy than Bettman to be leading the band at this time. Whether you like him or not, and ya, he's prickly alright, he's earned his stripes through trial by fire, earning my respect & appreciation. So bring out the Howitzers.

Feeling Lucky?. Well are ya?. m a k e m y d a y... :squint:

Last edited:

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
We know that more teams are losing money in the NHL but other than contraction, what are the alternatives and why would Bettman pursue other options?

As a whole, the NHL is posting a profit right?

Fugu

Well, I wouldnt call it "fantabulous" with the exception of the NYR, however, according to Forbes & SBJ, Minny, NJ, Pitts, Philly & Boston have all enjoyed a surge in HRR since the lockout. Wirtz Sr. "claimed" losses of $191M over the 10yr period ending in 2007 but in reality when 1/2 of all rev's from the United Center (the other 1/2 with the Bulls) is included the Hawks are quite profitable. Detroit's HRR have also ascended, and of course if Ilitch succeeds in acquiring the Pistons, he'll build a new arena, likely start a regional 3 sport (including the Tigers) sports channel & bundle sponsorships to cover all 3 teams. How that pans out in light of recent developments in MI remains to be seen.

Those teams always made money. I don't know about NJ, but they had arena issues apparently, just like Pittsburgh, except Pittsburgh somehow started making money before they moved to their new arena. I guess we should give Gary credit for AO and Syd, right? (And did pull Pitt and Washington out as making more $$ postlockout.)

So we're back to finding US teams that are making substantially more money today than pre-lockout--- excluding Chicago for obvious reasons because they should have been top five all along.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Those teams always made money. I don't know about NJ, but they had arena issues apparently, just like Pittsburgh, except Pittsburgh somehow started making money before they moved to their new arena. I guess we should give Gary credit for AO and Syd, right?.....So we're back to finding US teams that are making substantially more money today than pre-lockout--- excluding Chicago for obvious reasons because they should have been top five all along.

Syd & AO?. Why, those 2 teams are just getting bye'. Innocently springing up like perennial's. Crocuses' in January at the Winter Classics. Your arguments with Mother Nature, not Gary Bettman. :naughty:..... You singled out a few teams as "always making money anyway"?. We've figured out the dealeo with the Pens' & Caps' to some extent, so moving on to New Jersey, the Devils took over the running of the Prudential Ctr from AEG last year & of course have the Nets for tenants (temp). Investors who own the Devils are heavily leveraged, and without deep playoff runs over the past 3yrs (out in Round 1) they were hurtin units. However, they secured a really decent deal with MSG for broadcasting rights. Back in the black. I think finding any team in any sport making substantially more profits than they were 3yrs ago in the teeth of the recession would be impossible, yet collectively apparently, league revenues as whole have increased and at a pretty healthy clip.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
It wasn't a slant. MacLean quoted the NHL's lawyers as to what Bettman had said, Bettman said No it wasn't about saving Moyes from public embarassment. MacLean confronts Bettman with his own quote in an article and he flip flops and says yes it was about saving Moyes from public embarassment. No slant. It was a simple No to a simple yes.

Except it wasn't, of course. Trying to characterize it as the same question being asked twice with two different answers once again simply ignores the surrounding context, which you have demonstrated is pretty much your entire modus operandi.

You may have a past experience of pushing your points via bully tactics rather than real arguments, but it won't fly with me.

Someone thinks he's a "board warrior", apparently. Those of us who really have been around a long time get a kick out of your kind.

Let me get this straight. You are stating my assessment is incorrect because I don't have the inside knowledge of what the league processes are for due dilligence.

Actually YOU have admitted such. I'm just repeating your own words.

Yet you are saying the league used adequate means even though you have no idea what processes were used.

You made the claim, YOU back it up.

I quantify my statement by a track record of a decade of debacles in ownership.

...but refuse to demonstrate whether or not it is of any deviation from other large businesses.

Your argument is the exact same as someone claiming a .333 batting average sucks because the batter is not getting on base two times out of three, while completely glossing over the fact that virtually the entire baseball world does worse.

And, as usual, the context of that "bad ownership" is completely ignored in favor of just generalizations. No weight given to whether or not there was even an opportunity to discover the "bad ownership" beforehand, or even acknowledgement that in some cases they only went bad AFTER they became owners.

You don't quantify your stance with any source, but choose to hang on my lack of working with the NHL as the counterpoint to my argument. Clever sir.. you don't actually have to say or prove anything, you just have to reapet "You're wrong you're wrong"over and over ad nauseum.

Apparently you're not a proponent of formal logic. You are the one making the claim that the league hasn't done all it could have done to stop these "bad owners" and that this somehow reflects on Bettman. I've simply asked you to support it. You then proceed to use your conclusion AS the supporting evidence . Well, the questions are still pending - what should the league have done differently, and how is their performance any different from other big businesses who are looking to add multimillionaires to their roster?

On the other hand, I have not actually made any claim at all. Were I to have actually taken a stand, I would have mentioned that I believe the NHL has switched the firm or firms it uses to vet potential owners at least once. This isn't general knowledge and isn't something the sports media would typically report on, so I don't have a link for it.

There will never be any perfection in the vetting process. The Boots situation makes it clear that if someone has the background and the will to push a certain amount of wealth, they can probably get away with it for a while no matter what anyone does. It wasn't the NHL or CIT who discovered Boots' misdeeds, after all, but a completely different group looking a completely different issue (completely unrelated to Boots at all) who suddenly noticed what Boots was using as collateral wasn't actually his own brokerage statements at all.

I am arguing from a point of track record.

Which is a fallacy, of course.

You are arguing from the point of arguing.

Poking holes in faulty arguments is a favorite pastime of mine, I admit it. If you're going to go after someone like Bettman, who has demonstrated sheer brilliance in his running of the league, I expect the arguments to be a lot more sound than you have made them so far.

Some people just stick to dislike because they don't WANT the league to do what it does, like Fugu. That's a different story, opine all you like. But when you try to prove objectively that he SHOULDN'T have done things he did, or was wrong to do so, the bar is set a lot higher, and I call to account.

Yes... many of us saw it coming years before it happened and have profited from it in fine fashion.

I'm happy for you. Doesn't address the point at all, of course.

Let's look at Del Biaggio then...

1. Part of his disclosed financials was a 4 million dollar loan.... from his own bank. Anyone worth their salt in due dilligence would see this as a huge red flag. Major conflict of interest.

CIT is not "worth their salt in due diligence"? A financial institution with over a hundred years of experience in investment, and you think its own vetting process on Del Baggio can be dismissed with a message board post and a wave of your hand?

We're right back to arrogance.

The article in the Sports Business Journal quite clearly showed that there was pretty much no way the league could ever have caught Del Baggio before the unrelated audit suddenly found he was using - not false documents, but documents that didn't actually show his own dealings.

The article is unfortunately no longer available (that I can see at least), however. If I can find the archive of it I will give you the link, however, the actual details are: the point at which the league would have found many of the details you are accusing them of being negligent in not finding had not actually been reached - in other words, Boots had not progressed towards ownership to the point at which the league would have started looking at these things. It's a habit of many to believe that Del Baggio was "an owner". He wasn't. He never became one. He was a minority investor with no controlling interest, which the league - like everyone else - doesn't need to delve as deeply into. Del Baggio, through his family connections, had demonstrated he was able to raise 30m in his own capital, and that was good enough for what he was trying to do at first. When he tried to do more, when he tried to raise financing to take over the Predators, he couldn't do it. At some point after this, his double dealing was almost accidentally exposed by an unrelated company doing an unrelated audit.

I get the feeling you think you are bringing up new information that we haven't seen before. We've actually been through this on this board long ago several times already.

Let me make a few things clear in any event. Del Baggio passed along financial documents that were correct. They weren't actually HIS, but they were correct for what they were. So the numbers were working out. This is fraud. But it's fraud that could only ever be discovered through an audit. The NHL never got to the point of doing so because Del Baggio never got to the point of being able to make an offer to take over the Predators.

Or, to put it another way, you are using hindsight to castigate the league for not knowing what it couldn't possibly have known at the time.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=667540&page=2

The issue has already been hashed out. You're a bit late to the party.

As such the NHL has a track record of taking anyone who can at least make it appear as if they have the fortitude to own a franchise.

Actually, history has shown the league has always found the crooks out when the time came to do so, your 20/20 hindsight standards notwithstanding.

Definition:

I hope this helps. I am more than happy to provide definitions on any other basic 3-letter words you require assistance with.

Feel free. Still waiting on the first lie, though. One would have thought that since Bettman's statements were a matter of public record that perhaps your interpretation of two completely separate statements as somehow being contrary to one another might be a bit iffy.

I understand what they are doing, Ike... I get it. My point is that it osn't the COG's job to find an owner for the franchise and subsidize said owner because the league has decided that they will not sell the team for market value. They chastized Moyes for wanting the ability to sell the team for top dollar, but when they are wearing the shoes they won't take the hit.

They chastised Moyes for attempting to sell something he didn't actually own - the rights to a franchise in Hamilton. Had Moyes decided to stick it out, and assuming he had a way out of the lease in the first place (he didn't), then it would be expected that he would play the exact same negotiating game with the city as the league is.

You still seem to be confusing the idea of maintaining a team where it is no matter what vs maintaining it where it at least has a chance to at some point succeed. If that was all the league cared about, it could have allowed the Jets to be sold for 5 bucks to Joe Blow on the street and watched it fold three minutes later. The lease negotiations (ie, the sbusidies) are what the league believes the team now needs to survive in the market given its poor history and the more recent, and quite possibly fatal, damage done to it by Moyes and Balsillie.

It will NOT sell the team just to have it fail just so it can say it "did all it could to keep the team where it is". That is not a reasonable definition of doing so, when the league is right back to square one a few days later.

I invite you to do what you apparently didn't do: reread but instead of "doing everything" to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix, remember the full line is "doing everything IT CAN" to keep it there. It has to be a viable solution.

And so endeth the argument that they are somehow NOT doing so.

You're Poker metaphor relates nothing on the world of business. Now you are changing the shape of that metaphor... talk about revisionism... :shakehead

Rejected. Risk analysis is at the heart of every business that is trying to expand. I boggle at the idea that you are somehow involved in one and don't understand this. I reiterate my opinion that you don't know enough about poker to actually understand the analogy. To you, poker is about "bluffing" apparently. But at the high end, poker is about the odds (in other words, risk analysis) and making sure you always play on the right side of them.

If you are sitting with a 50/50 chance of winning should you stay in, the pot is at $1000, but it only costs you $250 to play, the correct action is to stay in. Doesn't mean you'll win, but over the long haul these odds will pay out. If the odds are 67/33 against you... its STILL worth it to play even though you will now lose two times out of three. In fact, as long as your odds of winning that hand are better than 20% (!), the correct move is to play.

And so it goes in business. Some risks are worth the payout should they succeed. To the league, southern expansion's odds were worth the risk. It's not even really true to say they didn't win, either, given the southern teams contribute somewhere around 800m a year in revenue (from memory, so give or take a bit). They didn't have to take this risk, they could have sat at 21 teams, or just expanded in Columbus and added in some Canadian teams, maybe bringing it to 24 or 25. The "safe" move, no risk. Apparently what you think they should have done, CERTAINLY what many here think they should have done. And the outcome? At least half a billion less revenue every year and that is BEFORE accounting for the pre-lockout TV deals which almost certainly they wouldn't have gotten without those teams (even though they rarely actually show any of them).

Seems to me the BOG (since the expansion mostly predates Bettman they get most the credit) has come out a lot better in this than is generally given credit.

You are correct, I never had any intent on describing what the NHL should have done. I made one line stating that the league was sloppy in their selection of owners in recent years. Now its on my shoulders to offer my ideas to improve how the BOG selects their partners.

That's right. That's how a logical argument works. You make the claim and then provide supporting evidence. So far, all you've done is restate the conclusion AS the evidence ("well there are bad owners therefore they MUST have done something wrong!").

You can stop the clock now I guess... :laugh:

I suppose so, since you've indicated you will not attempt to defend your statement.

I've never taken the stance the league hasn't been a successful venture. There are what? 12 teams showing even a minimal profit... that which prop up the remaining 18 that range from being on the bubble to being over their heads. The model used isn't for me to decide... that would be very arrogant.

Are you really so new here? Surely in the hundreds of threads talking about the business side of hockey here you've seen people mention that the year-to-year operating profit is not necessarily the best measurement for team or league health, right?

Man if things like that are getting missed, I should make sure to stick around here more. I guess with GSC gone the patience of the few, as Killion called them, "sane" people is getting strained at the sheer amount of Bettman-hating noise being thrown around.

Ike, the problem with trying to be a 'Bully' debater is that louder doesn't make you right. In a desperate attempt to 'hang on' you just keep pushing the same issues and expand on them to new regions in hope of having the last word. You've run into a person who is equally as stubborn.

You're not equally as stubborn. You're just caught in between a rock and a hard place because you bet your ego on your posts - when you lapped up someone giving you props, you exposed it for all to see. You don't have any choice but to hang on with all your strength now, because you've wrapped your self-image up in "winning".

I, on the other hand, have no such issue. I can, and do, respond as long as new arguments are presented simply because it amuses me to do so. Yours are not particularly difficult to dismantle, so I welcome you to stay as long as you can continue to provide new arguments to replace the ones that are dismantled, such as your Del Baggio attempt above was. Of course, if you just stick your fingers in your ears and repeat things without acknowledgement... well, I can deal with that as well.

I will suggest for your next post again... not for any benefit, just out of simple spite because now I know it something that gets under your skin. How about you start using some real data or examples to back up your stance. Stop personalizing the issues and just get back on point.

Nothing gets under my skin, and thank you for admitting you are trolling. It will be handy should the time come to put some brakes on your posts if you cannot keep your irritation under control.

:laugh:

Last edited:

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Maclean : The attourneys submitted that Jerry Moyes retain his title to avoid public embarassment, and you went along with it.

Bettman : No, a lot of things get mis-characterized. When we forwarded monies, Moyes executed proxies to not make any extraordinary acts but could retain his position.

Maclean shuffles papers, umm it says here that you said it was a matter of public embarassment.

Bettman: Correct.

He got caught in a lie and retracted. It may have only been a lie for 17 seconds, but a lie none the less.

You seem very much hung up on this. Here's the interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1_K2H11pQ

Skip to the 4:30 minute mark if you don't want to listen to them talk about headshots and the viability of Hamilton as an expansion city.

Once you actually listen to the quote, it's pretty clear that (despite the characterization of some here with an axe to grind) Bettman was never denying anything. He simply rejected how Ron was framing the quote (insinuating that Bettman had allowed Moyes to retain control of the team). Bettman said explicitly to start that Moyes was only allowed to keep the title as long as he didn't actually try to do anything, in order to save him the embarrassment of being removed. He didn't contradict himself at all, he contradicted the idea that Moyes was still in control of the team. MacLean was trying to "gotcha" him by pushing the argument that Bettman had allowed Moyes to retain control. Bettman set him straight.

People who were around here two years ago remember that one of what could have been a key item during the bankruptcy hearing was that Moyes was not actually in control of the team when he put it into bankruptcy. The league advanced this argument but it was never ruled on.

That is all that was being referred to. Sorry, no lie.

Fugu

Syd & AO?. Why, those 2 teams are just getting bye'. Innocently springing up like perennial's. Crocuses' in January at the Winter Classics. Your arguments with Mother Nature, not Gary Bettman. :naughty:..... You singled out a few teams as "always making money anyway"?. We've figured out the dealeo with the Pens' & Caps' to some extent, so moving on to New Jersey, the Devils took over the running of the Prudential Ctr from AEG last year & of course have the Nets for tenants (temp). Investors who own the Devils are heavily leveraged, and without deep playoff runs over the past 3yrs (out in Round 1) they were hurtin units. However, they secured a really decent deal with MSG for broadcasting rights. Back in the black. I think finding any team in any sport making substantially more profits than they were 3yrs ago in the teeth of the recession would be impossible, yet collectively apparently, league revenues as whole have increased and at a pretty healthy clip.

Where are these increases? Collectively, they are increasing, but we have a third of teams with stagnant revenues.

What has increased since the lockout? Well, the Canadian TV contracts, and TV money for teams like Detroit and Chicago. In the US, revenues from the national TV guys is down vs pre-lockout when ESPN was paying $120m. That's a decline, btw. :sarcasm:

I cannot recall what CBC and TSN paid on their last broadcast agreements, but both increased since the lockout. :sarcasm:

2004 vs 2006 vs 2010
Toronto $117m..119..187
NYR ...... 118..109..154
Montreal ...90...90...163
DRW ....... 97...89...119
Dallas .....103...89....95
Philly ......106...88...121
Boston ......95...86...110
LA ............80...82....98
Tampa ......88..82....76
Van ..........74..80...119
Ottawa .....70..76....96
Anaheim ...54..75....85
Oilers .......55...75...87
Carolina ....52...72...75
Minnie .......71..71...92
Buffalo ......51...70...81
San Jose ....74...69...88
Calgary ......70...68...98
Chicago ......71..67..120
STL ............66..66...79
CBJ ............66..66...76
Florida ........60..65...76
Atlanta .......54...64...71
Phoenix ......57...63...67
Pitt ............52...63...91
Wash .........61.. 63...82
NJD ...........61...62..104
Nash ..........57...61...74
NY Isles ......64...56...63

Factor in the revenue transfer kicked in for the bottom 15 in HRR who are eligible (so exclude Chi, NYI, Anaheim)--- and I see rather stagnant revenue growth since 2004 for everyone except:

The big markets and/or O-6; rest of Cdn teams; Wash, Pitt, SJ, NJD (also in a large market), Minnie, Buffalo, and Anaheim. St Louis is holding steady as well, but iirc, they did get some revenue sharing, no?

Fugu

People who were around here two years ago remember that one of what could have been a key item during the bankruptcy hearing was that Moyes was not actually in control of the team when he put it into bankruptcy. The league advanced this argument but it was never ruled on.

That is all that was being referred to. Sorry, no lie.

It was ruled on by default. Only Moyes filed for bankruptcy, the NHL protested but in the end they bought the team out of a bankruptcy court proceeding. They'd be worse than Glendale because according to you, they just bought the team from themselves. It seems Moyes had enough control to actually get a bankruptcy court to take a few months off for giggles.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
It was ruled on by default.

Fugu if GSC saw that he would have apoplexy. You KNOW there is no such thing. It was never ruled on. The judge did not find it necessary to rule on it because Balsillie was removed from the process in another area.

according to you, they just bought the team from themselves. It seems Moyes had enough control to actually get a bankruptcy court to take a few months off for giggles.

I said no such thing - that conclusion would require the judge to have ruled on the issue in the NHL's favor.

But he never ruled on it.

Fugu

Fugu if GSC saw that he would have apoplexy. You KNOW there is no such thing. It was never ruled on. The judge did not find it necessary to rule on it because Balsillie was removed from the process in another area.

I said no such thing - that conclusion would require the judge to have ruled on the issue in the NHL's favor.

But he never ruled on it.

He probably sees it and attacks his twitter account instead. :)

Anyhoo...

What I mean is that in spite of the allegation that Moyes could not place the team into bankruptcy protection, the team stayed there and the team was sold out of bankruptcy. Only Moyes wanted it to be in the BK process, so it's rather moot to even discuss it since the process was finalized in court.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Except it wasn't, of course. Trying to characterize it as the same question being asked twice with two different answers once again simply ignores the surrounding context, which you have demonstrated is pretty much your entire modus operandi.

I didn't characterize it as the question being asked twice. It was asked once, answered, confronted with a quote, answer changed.

Someone thinks he's a "board warrior", apparently. Those of us who really have been around a long time get a kick out of your kind.

You have me pegged wrong. I notice how you keep quoting your tenure through your response, is there a pension plan here that I'm mising out on?

...but refuse to demonstrate whether or not it is of any deviation from other large businesses.

Of course. Other businesses work on the opposite direction of the stream. Let's say I have a net worth of 1 billion dollars and I'm looking to buy a business. I see that business xyz is for sale. Who conducts the due dilligence?

Now in what other business do you want to buy into as a franchise and due dilligence is conducted on you? Retail and Hospitality. The problem is that you cannot draw a fair comparison for the dollars at risk aren't in the same realm.

Now, I could compare to other sports leagues. That will take some time to answer accurately. I can't recall any recent owners in the competing leagues that have plunged any team into bankruptcy or have purchased a team by fraudulent means. I will get back to you.

Apparently you're not a proponent of formal logic. You are the one making the claim that the league hasn't done all it could have done to stop these "bad owners" and that this somehow reflects on Bettman.

You're right... I hedge more in in-formal logic. I find it leaves me more time on my weekends for golf.

Quick question though... that um bolded part right up there... what are you talking about? Once I complete this post, I will re-post my original statement that you are so vehemently trying to pull apart.

On the other hand, I have not actually made any claim at all.

Yes you have. You claim that the leagues current record in choosing its franchise owners is on par with other businesses. Well... teach me kind sir... what comparable businesses have comparable records? I have a notebook and pen at the ready.

There will never be any perfection in the vetting process.

Absolutely. Never claimed it to be otherwise.

The Boots situation makes it clear that if someone has the background and the will to push a certain amount of wealth, they can probably get away with it for a while no matter what anyone does. It wasn't the NHL or CIT who discovered Boots' misdeeds, after all, but a completely different group looking a completely different issue (completely unrelated to Boots at all) who suddenly noticed what Boots was using as collateral wasn't actually his own brokerage statements at all.

The bolded part I agree with, the underlined is a crock. Logic would dictate that someone could have discovered his fraudulent dealings. Not to mention the blogger that had his doubts.

Poking holes in faulty arguments is a favorite pastime of mine, I admit it. If you're going to go after someone like Bettman, who has demonstrated sheer brilliance in his running of the league, I expect the arguments to be a lot more sound than you have made them so far.

Let's keep track here. This will be the second time I ask what the heck you are talking about?? As for the pastime, I'm with ya.

Some people just stick to dislike because they don't WANT the league to do what it does, like Fugu. That's a different story, opine all you like. But when you try to prove objectively that he SHOULDN'T have done things he did, or was wrong to do so, the bar is set a lot higher, and I call to account.

:facepalm: Oye.... I never stated Bettman was wrong to do anything. He doesn't chose the owners... the BOG's are the ones who vote.

CIT is not "worth their salt in due diligence"? A financial institution with over a hundred years of experience in investment, and you think its own vetting process on Del Baggio can be dismissed with a message board post and a wave of your hand?

I've also tried telekinesis... is it working yet? :laugh:

The article in the Sports Business Journal quite clearly showed that there was pretty much no way the league could ever have caught Del Baggio before the unrelated audit suddenly found he was using - not false documents, but documents that didn't actually show his own dealings.

Right.... not false documents but falsified... :laugh:

It's a habit of many to believe that Del Baggio was "an owner". He wasn't. He never became one. He was a minority investor with no controlling interest, which the league - like everyone else - doesn't need to delve as deeply into.

I have no disagreement with you here.

I get the feeling you think you are bringing up new information that we haven't seen before. We've actually been through this on this board long ago several times already.

Nope, never considered I was adding anything new. You had asked me to provide a hard example, and what the league could have done differently... Just doing what I was asked. While I may not have your 'seniority', I can postulate the topic would have provided ample opportunity to discuss when he was exposed.

Let me make a few things clear in any event. Del Baggio passed along financial documents that were correct. They weren't actually HIS, but they were correct for what they were.

Right... the documents weren't false.. they were falsified documents... :biglaugh: aww geez..

Or, to put it another way, you are using hindsight to castigate the league for not knowing what it couldn't possibly have known at the time.

Nope... I gave you 2 examples of how they could have knew at the time if they tried a little harder. Just because you ignored/rejected them doesn't mean I am using hindsight.

Actually, history has shown the league has always found the crooks out when the time came to do so, your 20/20 hindsight standards notwithstanding.

Spano was a little late, no? Just sayin'.

They chastised Moyes for attempting to sell something he didn't actually own - the rights to a franchise in Hamilton. Had Moyes decided to stick it out, and assuming he had a way out of the lease in the first place (he didn't), then it would be expected that he would play the exact same negotiating game with the city as the league is.

I'll need a little help interpereting your logic there... He wouldn't be able to get out of the lease, but if he would have waited he would be able to give the COG the same purple nurple the league is doing right now?

I'll start for you... without the Bankruptcy the league would not have the leverage they have today with the COG.

You still seem to be confusing the idea of maintaining a team where it is no matter what vs maintaining it where it at least has a chance to at some point succeed. If that was all the league cared about, it could have allowed the Jets to be sold for 5 bucks to Joe Blow on the street and watched it fold three minutes later.

That's a baloney comparison. My statement is that the league could sell the team for market value. That doesn't mean sell it to joe blow for 5 bucks. Why would I quip about the leagues process in chosing owners for their depressed teams in one paragraph then endorse them doing the exact same thing in Phoenix? Ludicrous. My question is fair and contemplatable. Why would the league not be able to sell the team to a responsible owner with the capability to do so at market value, and work with the COG on a lease that doesn't burden the taxpayers great-great grandchildren?

And so endeth the argument that they are somehow NOT doing so

Not yet, buckaroo.

Risk analysis is at the heart of every business that is trying to expand. I boggle at the idea that you are somehow involved in one and don't understand this. I reiterate my opinion that you don't know enough about poker to actually understand the analogy.

That is not what your first statement entailed. In my next post that states my first post I will add your poker statement. What you just wrote above is rational.

To you, poker is about "bluffing" apparently. But at the high end, poker is about the odds (in other words, risk analysis) and making sure you always play on the right side of them.

No... you are taking my argument that I made to your first statement and applying it to your new take. Very 1984ish

If you are sitting with a 50/50 chance of winning should you stay in, the pot is at $1000, but it only costs you $250 to play, the correct action is to stay in. Doesn't mean you'll win, but over the long haul these odds will pay out. If the odds are 67/33 against you... its STILL worth it to play even though you will now lose two times out of three. In fact, as long as your odds of winning that hand are better than 20% (!), the correct move is to play.

Cool tip... I expect to see you at WSOP across from Mr. Negreanu.

Some risks are worth the payout should they succeed. To the league, southern expansion's odds were worth the risk. It's not even really true to say they didn't win, either, given the southern teams contribute somewhere around 800m a year in revenue (from memory, so give or take a bit). They didn't have to take this risk, they could have sat at 21 teams, or just expanded in Columbus and added in some Canadian teams, maybe bringing it to 24 or 25. The "safe" move, no risk. Apparently what you think they should have done,

Why must you insist on characterizing me without reading my record? Hmmm? At savvy veteran of HFboards like yourself should know what I have been typing for the last year. I'll save you the time of archiving through my old posts.

1. I like Bettman
2. I agree with the Southern Expansion
3. My NHL includes Phoenix and Atlanta
4. Bettman's record with the league is impressive in my opinion.
5. I like to joke.
6. Maple Leafs are awful (Take that Killion)

Are you really so new here? Surely in the hundreds of threads talking about the business side of hockey here you've seen people mention that the year-to-year operating profit is not necessarily the best measurement for team or league health, right?

Well... 1 year and over 1,100 posts later I'm still a Rookie in your eyes... HOw will I ever earn your endearments?? :cry:

Man if things like that are getting missed, I should make sure to stick around here more. I guess with GSC gone the patience of the few, as Killion called them, "sane" people is getting strained at the sheer amount of Bettman-hating noise being thrown around.

Looks like someone is looking to keep his "Board Warrior" job. Ike, buddy.. you can have it. I really never wanted it anyhow. GSC is your measuring stick?

You're not equally as stubborn. You're just caught in between a rock and a hard place because you bet your ego on your posts - when you lapped up someone giving you props, you exposed it for all to see. You don't have any choice but to hang on with all your strength now, because you've wrapped your self-image up in "winning".

You've got me pegged wrong, dude/dudette. You are hung up on a post I made in humor? Wowee-Zoweee. I change my mind... please archive through my posts.

I, on the other hand, have no such issue. I can, and do, respond as long as new arguments are presented simply because it amuses me to do so. Yours are not particularly difficult to dismantle, so I welcome you to stay as long as you can continue to provide new arguments to replace the ones that are dismantled, such as your Del Baggio attempt above was.

Nope... no ego there... :laugh:

Nothing gets under my skin, and thank you for admitting you are trolling. It will be handy should the time come to put some brakes on your posts if you cannot keep your irritation under control.

:laugh

Threats? I never thought you would resort to such measures.

Fugu

@Ike, and AB. Tone down the personal stuff. I'd rather have you do it than leave it in our hands.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

<snip>

Sir, that is a very long post. I'll try to read it when I have an hour. :laugh:

GHOST

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
What I mean is that in spite of the allegation that Moyes could not place the team into bankruptcy protection, the team stayed there and the team was sold out of bankruptcy. Only Moyes wanted it to be in the BK process, so it's rather moot to even discuss it since the process was finalized in court.

It's moot to discuss it NOW. It wasn't moot in 2009 when the quote in question was actually made, which is the important thing. Remember it was only brought up because some are attempting to claim it was a lie. Having posted the video, it is pretty clear what exactly the "no" was actually referring to, despite the furious spinning.

Sir, that is a very long post. I'll try to read it when I have an hour. :laugh:

GHOST

Mr Ghost, it is nothing, NOTHING compared to what I have posted during the lockout, and those pale in comparison to posts I have made on other boards on other topics completely. It is a pity the board software can't do poster stats by total word count (though kdb might have me beat still).

:D

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
I for one like Bettman. He entertains me immensely and has conviction in his direction. He doesn't quiver. It is a quality I can respect in another human being. Let's not kid ourselves though. He has lied.

The NHL as a group has missed steps in chosing their partners. They have been made the fool in countless ownership debacles in a very short period of time. They need to just stop being sloppy. A friend of mine always says "Half measures avail us nothing". The NHL have been Kings of half measures and it tires Bettman to have to make excuses.

As promised my first post that has been picked apart for the wrong reasons.

Of course not. Don't exaggerate for effect. The question is whether the risk was worth the benefit. Don't you play poker? You don't win every hand even if you had the odds. What is the measure for success? Whether your bankroll goes up in general. How's the NHL doing? Something like 600% growth over his tenure, isn't it?

Not a poker player, I see. You don't grow without taking some risks.

The league should thank its lucky stars it didn't listen to people like you. You would have cost them uncounted billions of dollars in your "correct", no-risk attitude. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably do NOT make 7m a year to decide on what risks to make.

This is the first post that contained the poker analogy... quite a different tone from your last inference.

I will admit, though that my relation to "bluffing" had nothing to do with either of your examples.

Carry on..

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Where are these increases? Collectively, they are increasing, but we have a third of teams with stagnant revenues. What has increased since the lockout?....... Well, the Canadian TV contracts, and TV money for teams like Detroit and Chicago. In the US, revenues from the national TV guys is down vs pre-lockout when ESPN was paying $120m. That's a decline, btw. :sarcasm: .....The big markets and/or O-6; rest of Cdn teams; Wash, Pitt, SJ, NJD (also in a large market), Minnie, Buffalo, and Anaheim. St Louis is holding steady as well, but iirc, they did get some revenue sharing, no?

Increases are substantial at league level Fugu, and their on their way to a record $2.9B in revenues this season, an increase overall from last year of 4-5%. Sponsorship & Advertising on their TV Network & Website are up 55%. ShopNHL.com sales are up 12%. Video starts are up a whopping 128%. Sponsorship & Marketing is up 32%, overall attendance league wide sits at 92% capacity. Additionally, the league itself, members of the BOG's, sports broadcast execs & media observers are predicting an increase of at least, minimum, 50% for broadcasting rights.

Forbes suggests 16 of 30 teams are losing money (assuming St. Louis is in that mix, as for rev-sharing, sorry, no idea). Media sources and our own LadyStanley estimating 6-12 teams for sale in whole or in part. Yes, their are some problems. Rarely in business do things ever go exactly according to plan. Collectively, from the top down, the league is extremely good shape and I think it behooves us to salute its stewards (I bet you spit out your cocoa & cookie their Fugu, I will give you a few moments to recover from the thought & my audacity).........Feel better now?. Excellent. The ownership difficulties are nothing new, and given time, a recovery in the lending markets & general economy, combined with the increase in broadcast revenues and sterling record of the leagues growth, a tweaking of the CBA & Revenue Sharing mechanisms, the relo of a team or 3, and Id' say we should all be pretty darn Happy-Slappy & Good to Go for another decade. And thats damn straight.

Last edited:

Fugu

Increases are substantial at league level Fugu, and their on their way to a record $2.9B in revenues this season, an increase overall from last year of 4-5%. Sponsorship & Advertising on their TV Network & Website are up 55%. ShopNHL.com sales are up 12%. Video starts are up a whopping 128%. Sponsorship & Marketing is up 32%, overall attendance league wide sits at 92% capacity. Additionally, the league itself, members of the BOG's, sports broadcast execs & media observers are predicting an increase of at least, minimum, a 50% increase in broadcasting rights revenues which may close prior to the end of fiscal 2011.

Percent increases are meaningless without context. I'd rather take a 3% increase if the base is $1 b than 50% if the starting point is $70m.

One looks so little and lonely. The other is used in Press Releases. :)

How about adding some meat to these bones, buddy?

Forbes suggests 16 of 30 teams are losing money (assuming St. Louis is in that mix, as for rev-sharing, sorry, no idea). Media sources and our own LadyStanley estimating 6-12 teams for sale in whole or in part. Yes, their are some problems. Rarely in business do things ever go exactly according to plan. Collectively, from the top down, the league is extremely good shape and I think it behooves us to salute its stewards (I bet you spit out your cocoa & cookie their Fugu, I will give you a few moments to recover from the thought & my audacity).........Feel better now?. Excellent. The ownership difficulties are nothing new, and given time, a recovery in the lending markets & general economy, combined with the increase in broadcast revenues and sterling record of league wide growth, a tweaking of the CBA to & Revenue Sharing mechanisms, the relo of a team or 3, and Id' say we should all be pretty darn Happy-Slappy & Good to Go for another decade.

There's the problem. That collectively thingy you keep bringing up.

There are several teams that indeed are NOT doing well and are NOT in good shape. Reporting collective figures for independently run teams (other than their central revenues, which a mere 2-3 yrs ago comprised only 10% of the entire take) is just misleading. It doesn't matter to Phoenix that the Leafs have estimated revenues of nearly $190m. They are seriously revenue-challenged. The NHL can toot its horn all it wants with growth rates and website hits, but let's look at where the money is again.

2004 vs 2006 vs 2010
Toronto $117m..119..187
NYR ...... 118..109..154
Montreal ...90...90...163
DRW ....... 97...89...119
Dallas .....103...89....95
Philly ......106...88...121
Boston ......95...86...110
LA ............80...82....98
Tampa ......88..82....76
Van ..........74..80...119
Ottawa .....70..76....96
Anaheim ...54..75....85
Oilers .......55...75...87
Carolina ....52...72...75
Minnie .......71..71...92
Buffalo ......51...70...81
San Jose ....74...69...88
Calgary ......70...68...98
Chicago ......71..67..120
STL ............66..66...79
CBJ ............66..66...76
Florida ........60..65...76
Atlanta .......54...64...71
Phoenix ......57...63...67
Pitt ............52...63...91
Wash .........61.. 63...82
NJD ...........61...62..104
Nash ..........57...61...74
NY Isles ......64...56...63

Surely anyone with a modicum of interest in the business side of things here will notice a lack of growth in revenues in the 4-5 yrs since the lockout ended-- and be concerned. Why do people spend so much time denying any problems when you can see the numbers for yourself? They may not be absolute, but relatively speaking, I think we're in the ballpark. This isn't about just winning arguments but seriously analyzing the lack of any ability of the weaker teams to close the gap in revenue. The NHL's new TV deal, 50% higher !!!!!!, will only serve to raise that same cap/floor.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I didn't characterize it as the question being asked twice. It was asked once, answered, confronted with a quote, answer changed.

But, as we see with the interview posted, the answer never changed. Your attempt to frame it as such via the way you presented it in text format doesn't do it justice, but the video does. Bettman was clearly refuting the idea that Moyes still had some control, and MacLean's quote didn't change that, so when he brought it up Bettman more or less said "yep, we were just trying to save him public embarrassment. That's what I just said."

You have me pegged wrong. I notice how you keep quoting your tenure through your response, is there a pension plan here that I'm mising out on?

No, but there's several thousand posts you should catch up on that all deal with the points you're trying to raise. You aren't actually presenting any new argument and it is tiring to have to repeat it every time some hotshot comes along and thinks they're the cat's meow.

Of course. Other businesses work on the opposite direction of the stream. Let's say I have a net worth of 1 billion dollars and I'm looking to buy a business. I see that business xyz is for sale. Who conducts the due dilligence?

Analogy fails because Boots had not actually entered the formal process of buying the business. He never got past the 'raising financing' part. Apparently his plan was to try to get around it by becoming a minority investor (which carries a much lower standard of proof, which he easily through his family connections and personal wealth qualified for anyways) and then working up. Fortunately (for everyone but him), he never succeeded in ever raising the money he needed. Had he, then a deeper analysis of where his money was coming from would have happened. Would he have been caught then? It's impossible to say. He had CIT fooled. He and his pappy owned a bank, a bank Boots was instrumental in bringing about. He might have pulled it off. But we'll never know, because he was caught before it ever got to that point.

To quote kdb:

kdb209 said:
Could/Should the league have uncovered the blatant fraud when other, more financially savvy players with much more vested interest (DGB Investments, Security Pacific Bank, the Private Bank of the Peninsula, Modern Bank, Heritage Bank) failed to do so? The fraud was only discovered by an SEC Examiner auditing Merriman (the brokerage whose statements Boots' forged using an inside broker collaborator) from internal documents which would not have been available to the NHL, no matter how thorough their due diligence.

Unless you have something new to offer that argument, I consider it as closed now as it was when we hashed it out then. You hold the NHL to an impossibly high standard, one beyond what the people in the business themselves consider acceptable.

Quick question though... that um bolded part right up there... what are you talking about? Once I complete this post, I will re-post my original statement that you are so vehemently trying to pull apart.

One wonders if you have forgotten what this thread is actually about. Are you now saying you don't believe crooked owners such as Del Baggio reflect poorly on Bettman? If that is the case, thank you for acknowledging I am right.

Yes you have. You claim that the leagues current record in choosing its franchise owners is on par with other businesses.

Actually, no. I have said you haven't demonstrated it is different. The initial claim is still yours, I am simply asking for the evidence.

A refresher: "The NHL as a group has missed steps in chosing their partners. They have been made the fool in countless ownership debacles in a very short period of time. They need to just stop being sloppy."

That's the first relevant quote from you. Of course, you are simply referring to the NHL, not necessarily Bettman - though my point would still stand regardless. In any event you explicitly said Bettman a post or two later, ending any doubt.

Well... teach me kind sir... what comparable businesses have comparable records? I have a notebook and pen at the ready.

The burden of proof is still on you. Show us, if you will, how your claim above indicates "sloppiness" outside of the norm of big business.

Absolutely. Never claimed it to be otherwise.

But you have indicated the NHL is "sloppy" without posting your evidence for such, other than the circular argument that they must have been since there have been bad owners.

The bolded part I agree with, the underlined is a crock. Logic would dictate that someone could have discovered his fraudulent dealings. Not to mention the blogger that had his doubts.

Logic dictates nothing of the sort. Refer to the above list of financial institutions Del Baggio had hoodwinked. The guy OWNED A BANK. He had successfully fronted 30m dollars. His family had a sterling reputation in the area they were active among the hoidy toidy crowd. He was no flash in the pan. He was a crook, but he had all the background he needed to hide it.

:facepalm: Oye.... I never stated Bettman was wrong to do anything. He doesn't chose the owners... the BOG's are the ones who vote.

The BOG determines a direction, Bettman is the executor. In question is the execution, so it is Bettman who is at stake, not the BOG, unless you want to go back before he was even hired. Working with potential owners and finding financing for teams is a huge part of what Bettman does every day, it is, in effect, his "job".

Right.... not false documents but falsified... :laugh:

What are you laughing about? Boots took legitimate documents from another source and passed them off as his own. By doing so, the numbers inside actually work out perfectly. They aren't HIS, but they work out.

I quote Wineshark this time:

WindShark said:
Most diligence would not have picked up the irregularities. Recognize the family had a very good reputation in the Valley and used it to successfully start a Bank. That in itself takes a fair amount of background checking to get off the ground. The parts re: Sandhill Road Capital are nothing more than the story of several funds that had some good years and some bad ones. The diligence that took place would have included background checks on his personal financial statements, copies of his tax returns, his business dealings, and personal references.

This is the story of a charismatic guy using the good name of his family to get credibility and raise millions in funding from others. Not everything he did was dishonest. But read the little note at the bottom of the article about what the locals were saying because its exactly what people were saying (I have first hand knowledge).

Right... the documents weren't false.. they were falsified documents... :biglaugh: aww geez..

You're missing the point. The documents WORKED. They fooled a LOT of people. They fooled people who's jobs it is to not be fooled by this sort of thing. They were only uncovered by someone who noticed not "numbers not working", but "numbers that belonged to something else". Sheer luck, actually.

What do you think is harder to pass off: financial records that work with each other right down to the nuts and bolts, or ones that were falsely created from scratch?

As others have said, even if the league had gotten to the point of vetting Boots for majority ownership, they may not have discovered the fraud. No one else had, after all, with a lot greater access.

Nope... I gave you 2 examples of how they could have knew at the time if they tried a little harder. Just because you ignored/rejected them doesn't mean I am using hindsight.

Your examples come out to a blogger without any specific details being suspicious and a demand for them to "try harder" to do something they didn't actually need to do yet. I could go on a blog and post random conspiracy theories too in the hopes that I randomly hit one right. Does Tom Benjamin note that Del Baggio owned a bank, had successfully fronted the money to become a minority investor, and was generally thought of (outside the league) as a rising star?

As for Leipold, yes, not passing along his little loan was not acceptable. Bettman is not omnipotent, he is not like the all-seeing eye of Sauron out there. If people are going to make slimy deals behind his back he can't exactly stop them, just execute consequences when they are found out.

Spano was a little late, no? Just sayin'.

Spano is evidence that if you fire off enough fraudulent documents you can keep the ball rolling for at least a time. The system to catch the crooks actually worked, it was just slowed down by the sheer amount of falsehood it had to hack through to get to the bottom of it. A bigger problem was the banks. They didn't follow their own rules in their dealings with him. The banks are telling the league he is legit, it's tough to tell them they are wrong without some reason to believe so.

Basically, Spano provided everything the league asked for. All lies, but everything they asked for. The proof, things like letters from bank vice presidents, were also based on lies told to the banks. The problem came when it came time to actually provide money, and that's where it all falls apart.

So, for all you potential defrauders out there, keep that in mind - play a good game and present a good face and you can always make it work... for a while. It takes time to hack the lies apart. Just make sure you make your getaway before they get there...

I'll need a little help interpereting your logic there... He wouldn't be able to get out of the lease, but if he would have waited he would be able to give the COG the same purple nurple the league is doing right now?

The league's leverage comes from the fact they are under no obligation to stay in Glendale. Moyes didn't have that luxury. The entire reason for going into bankruptcy in the first place was to void the lease. The penalties for breaking it would have left him hundreds of millions in debt even including what he received from Balsillie, if it were even legally possible.

And your characterization of the league as not attempting to work with the COG to find an owner is hogwash. They're in a frenzy trying to get it to work.

I'll start for you... without the Bankruptcy the league would not have the leverage they have today with the COG.

Without the bankruptcy the team would have been bought by Reinsdorf and HE would be negotiating with the COG.

That's a baloney comparison. My statement is that the league could sell the team for market value. That doesn't mean sell it to joe blow for 5 bucks. Why would I quip about the leagues process in chosing owners for their depressed teams in one paragraph then endorse them doing the exact same thing in Phoenix? Ludicrous. My question is fair and contemplatable. Why would the league not be able to sell the team to a responsible owner with the capability to do so at market value, and work with the COG on a lease that doesn't burden the taxpayers great-great grandchildren?

I have no idea what you think is going on in Glendale. There are NO "responsible owners" in Glendale willing to buy the team without an adjustment to the lease, not for $1. It's questionable whether there was even BEFORE the bankruptcy did incomprehensible damage to the franchise.

Pretty tough to sell a team to something that doesn't exist, hmm?

Not yet, buckaroo.

The league has told Glendale what it needs to keep the franchise alive. It's up to Glendale to figure out if they can swallow the pill. The league has control of the team, it can make the situation RIGHT without having to let someone else do the negotiating. Why in god's name would they NOT want to do this. Do you think they want to have the Phoenix situation suddenly appear once again two years from now because the new owner didn't get a good enough deal? Your position is nonsensical. The league has something it almost never has - the direct power to negotiate the deal for one of its teams. It's not going to give this power up nor should it.

Why do you want the league to shoot itself in the foot?

That is not what your first statement entailed. In my next post that states my first post I will add your poker statement. What you just wrote above is rational.

No... you are taking my argument that I made to your first statement and applying it to your new take. Very 1984ish

Uh, it was almost word for word what I said in the first place: "Not a poker player, I see. You don't grow without taking some risks. The league (before Bettman) decided to try to take the risk to get a national TV deal by expanding south."

This was in response to you claiming the league should only do the "correct" thing, ie the one that always works. No risk. I simply pointed out that if you want to grow, the "correct" thing is actually the one the "pot odds" favor - even though you don't actually always win the pot.

100% consistent from start to finish. I never changed my argument one iota.

Why must you insist on characterizing me without reading my record?

Might I remind you that you responded to me? Post #58 is the first time I knew you existed. If you are going to quote one of my posts and take a contrary stance to it, you can't be surprised.

I will admit that it is possible I unfairly lumped you into the wide mass of unsupported "buttman" haters. However, until this exact point, you gave me absolutely zero reason to believe you were any different. It takes more than a few posts in a couple days for me to register a general impression of someone and I don't read this board every day in these times where there is actually very little interesting going on on the business side of things, especially since Fugu took away my favorite poster. :(

Well... 1 year and over 1,100 posts later I'm still a Rookie in your eyes... HOw will I ever earn your endearments?? :cry:

By ensuring the quality of your arguments does not fall to the level of... certain others.

Looks like someone is looking to keep his "Board Warrior" job. Ike, buddy.. you can have it. I really never wanted it anyhow. GSC is your measuring stick?

I suspect it is against the rules to discuss removed posters. But yes, I found his posts incomparably informed. He was the smartest person on the board with by far the most legal experience, but the effort of dealing with "buttman hates canada" posters every minute of every day eventually pushed him over the edge. He should have taken more breaks.

Nope... no ego there... :laugh:

We all have our conceits.

CC definition of lying:

"Did you go to Toronto on Tuesday?
"Yes."
"So you didn't go to New York?"
"No"
"You said Yes and then you said No! You lied!"

Dado

I'd love to have the HRR in CAD. .

Good lord, not this again.

The Loonie is up more 50% from the days of "it would take 25 cent phone call to move Vancouver". It's a trivial exercise to figure out what HRR would be if the Loonie were back at those levels - and it's a damn ugly sight.

It's painfully obvious that HRR growth is being driven by Canadians spending Canadian dollars. And that's why, all of a sudden, Winnipeg and QC are back in the (re)location mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad