Bettman and Lou on Mike & MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Sanman19 said:
Regarding honoring the contracts, he said he couldn't speak of it because its a CBA issue. But Bettman did say in other sports work stoppages player's contracts have been eliminated. Not sure what that meant.
It's an interesting point, but no other sport has lost an entire season's worth of contracts to a work stoppage. Baseball stopped in the middle of the season, basketball and football picked up in the middle of the season. So trying to use that as his reasoning is completely full of wholes.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gary Bettman was talking about the lockout in the past tense.He had a really late night because he mentioned listening to Mike and Chris at 2 in the morning when he was driving home

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
DARKSIDE said:

Hopefully Lou sheds some light on the 2004-05 contracts.I didn't hear Milbury but he said those contracts will be rolled but I heard Bettman say in not so many words that wasn't the case and then Gary said he shouldn't say anymore

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
RangerBoy said:
Bettman said the NHL lost around $300-400 million by not playing.Does that mean the NHL is a $1.6-1.7 billion business?

wait a second...wasn't the quote throughout the season "we lose less money by not playing."???????????? 300-400 million is more then the reported losses in the Levitt report for 03-04 and 02-03. Yet another PR lie by Bettman.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
nyrmessier011 said:
wait a second...wasn't the quote throughout the season "we lose less money by not playing."???????????? 300-400 million is more then the reported losses in the Levitt report for 03-04 and 02-03. Yet another PR lie by Bettman.
I was under the impression that it was a number of teams that lose less by not playing but not the league as a whole.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
nyrmessier011 said:
I don't believe he was referring to losing that money this year. I believe he was talking about the effect of a lost season on the overall industry... i.e., that it would go from a 2.1 billion-dollar industry to, say, a 1.7 billion-dollar industry in the upcoming year. Just my interpretation; I could be wrong. (Then again, if you're intent on just believing that everything Bettman says is a lie, this probably won't matter to you.)

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
What Lou said...

Said a lot and yet revealed nothing.

Anyway here goes.

Indicates that the Devils will be in good shape going into the new CBA.

Concerning the CBA and honoring last year contracts: It’s unknown what will be included. However, everyone won’t be happy, but we must all go into the new CBA with a positive attitude.

As for rule changes, he likes the sliming down the goalie equipment the most. Not crazy about shootouts. Forgot what he said about the redline.

Concerning the opening up of the game, “I’m not worried, my team will adapt.â€

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Forgot what he said about the redline.

He mentioned that in the Swedish Elite League, where they took out the red line in the two-line pass rule, most teams that normally set up their trap around the red line just moved back to the blue line. He feels it is worth trying, however, in the NHL.

I have heard this before from Swedish fans, as well.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
jratelle19 said:
He mentioned that in the Swedish Elite League, where they took out the red line in the two-line pass rule, most teams that normally set up their trap around the red line just moved back to the blue line. He feels it is worth trying, however, in the NHL.

Thanks. I was interrupted when he discussed the redline issue. And I'm hearing that a lot lately about defensemen positioning at the blue line. They will have to create some kind rule that does not allow defensemen to back up until the puck reaches the neutral, I would hope.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
nyrmessier011 said:
That also includes TV, merchandise. 60 Million alone went to the NHL for the ESPN rights. Factor in all the regional coverage too and you've got a big number.

Enough with the mouthpiece antics, the PA couldve used you in February

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
jratelle19 said:

The difference is that in Sweden there is large ice. I think it'll be interested seeing no redline on a smaller ice surface...more precise passing, you know?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
thinkwild said:
After the last lockout, didnt the players get part of the missed contracts paid to them?

that was different though cause in 94 they saved 1/2 a season, so the players got paid for the 1/2 year they played.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
just to note, as of 10:00 the only interview from the whole 25 hour marathon posted on wfan.com is an interview with yankee gm brian cashman...so far interviews with bettman, gretzky, messier, milbury and lameriello have not been posted. hopefully they are just slow getting them up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RangerBoy said:
Bettman said the NHL lost around $300-400 million by not playing.Does that mean the NHL is a $1.6-1.7 billion business?

I hope the lockout ends up being worth it then because they wouldn't have lost that much if they played.

jratelle19 said:

God said it's worth trying just NOT in the NHL. Which I agree. Try it in the AHL first.

MattintheHatt said:
The difference is that in Sweden there is large ice. I think it'll be interested seeing no redline on a smaller ice surface...more precise passing, you know?

More Trap. I am wondering what GM's like the idea. I know MIke Keenan from an old Sports Illistrated interview hates the idea. And so does Lou.

I bet Glen Sather likes the idea.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
DARKSIDE said:
Thanks. I was interrupted when he discussed the redline issue. And I'm hearing that a lot lately about defensemen positioning at the blue line. They will have to create some kind rule that does not allow defensemen to back up until the puck reaches the neutral, I would hope.

No way! A rule that does not allow a defenseman to back up?
I'm not a purist, but imagine the chaos around such a rule.

"2 minutes for skating backward before the puck was in the neutral zone." :biglaugh:

Otter

Forgive me if this sounds naive because I play more hockey than I write about it but doesn't it seem that the trapping defenseman has an advantage from the two-line pass rule in that the offense is limited in who they can pass to as they come up the ice and that eliminating that restriction should make it harder to trap because now they have to cover the guys who are sneaking behind them rather than just pinching the play?

How's that for a run-on sentence? :amazed:

In short: I can't see how more options for the offense helps the defense. Please help me understand. Thanks.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
RangerBoy said:

So did you just take the 2.1 billion and subtract the 300 - 400 million?

nyrmessier011 said:

It wasn't the league that was saying, it was individual team owners. The only one off the top of my head that I can remember saying it were Leonsis in Washington and I think Mario in Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad