Bettman and Lou on Mike & MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
I'm hoping that Bettman announces that the draft lottery was held in secret and the Devils are the proud owners of Sidney Crosby.

Sanman19

Jun 28, 2005
New Jersey
my first .02 cents

Bettman and Lou will be part of a special 24-hour Mike and MD that will happen on Thurs.

This has been planned for a quite a while so I would venture to assume that Bettman has been scheduled for quite a while to appear. What that means I really don't know.

But, my money is on that it will be a normal interview about the future of hockey, JR's comments.. the usual, no big announcements.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Sanman19 said:
my first .02 cents

Bettman and Lou will be part of a special 24-hour Mike and MD that will happen on Thurs.

This has been planned for a quite a while so I would venture to assume that Bettman has been scheduled for quite a while to appear. What that means I really don't know.

But, my money is on that it will be a normal interview about the future of hockey, JR's comments.. the usual, no big announcements.

I'm with Sanman. If there were a deal announced on Thursday, I don't think Bettman or Lou would waste their time by doing a radio show. They would be too busy doing television interviews, talking to players, coaches, etc....

IMO it doesn't mean anything that they are on except that the CBA is done but being ratified so they could waste their time doing something like this.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
LPHabsFan said:
I'm with Sanman. If there were a deal announced on Thursday, I don't think Bettman or Lou would waste their time by doing a radio show. They would be too busy doing television interviews, talking to players, coaches, etc....

IMO it doesn't mean anything that they are on except that the CBA is done but being ratified so they could waste their time doing something like this.
If, somehow, there's a press conference on Thursday to announce they have a deal in place, going on the highest rated sports talk show in the US (arguably in the world) is an absolute must. Getting any airtime is NOT a waste of time.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
bcrt2000 said:
shes a girl who drools over bono ;)

hehe... i noticed kritter recently signed up to a u2 forum i go to :)
Huh. Well, no accounting for taste on that one. :dunno: I could say "i think bono sucks" but that would be a major understatement on my part.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
LPHabsFan said:

On the other hand a whole boatload of hirings and firings happend in the last couple of days. Seems that teams are getting their houses in order in anticipation of something:

Star's extend Tippett's contract
http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/sports/story/2519085p-10888069c.html

Toronto extends Quinn's contract
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3724726

and just now Panther's fire their goaltending coach
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/8604735

May be just a coincidence that all of these housekeeping moves happened at the same time, but I am thinking that Thursday may be the day.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
I'm not saying they aren't getting close to making a deal, but this really has nothing to do with it.

For whoever asked, they aren't on the "latino" channel or something, they are huge in the northeast and constantly have huge guests etc. Bettman doesn't usually do long interviews, especially radio, but he's been on Mike and MD a couple of times during the lockout.

But, they are doing a 24 hour show and they have all kinds of guests. In fact I think they are having 2 of the other 3 major commisioners on too. It's probably been planned for a while, they are pretty much having multiple people from every sports....Bettman works in NY and is commish and Lamirello in NJ. Don't take it as a sign of a deal.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Mike and the Mad Dog are doing the 24 hour show to raise money for the NYC Police and Fire Departments.It's their final show before they go on vacation for most of July and August.They will be doing the show live from a Rockefeller Center restaurant where the ice rink is located during the winter.Gary Bettman is scheduled to be a live guest.Deal or no deal,it will be curious to hear his comments since Bettman has not made any public statements in the past couple of months

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
It's just as likely (more so IMO) that they are just going on to talk in vague, generic terms about the negotiations and to say that maybe it will take a little bit longer to get every detail nailed down but that they are working very hard at it and both sides are committed to reaching a resolution of "the process".

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
HF2002 said:
If, somehow, there's a press conference on Thursday to announce they have a deal in place, going on the highest rated sports talk show in the US (arguably in the world) is an absolute must. Getting any airtime is NOT a waste of time.

Oh don't get me wrong I fully agree with you that any airtime is great. But to associate a pre-determined radio interview with Bettman and a general manager with there being an Press Conference on the same day just does not seem logical. For me it's the fact that he is going on with Lou and the fact that it's scheduled that rules it out. All the interviews that would be done would be in the same place as the press conference with no specific timeline as to when it will start and when it will end. And also, a PC would likely be around 3 or 4 p.m. because I think it would be dumb to do a PC when it's still morning on the west coast. So then even if it's at 3 there would be no time to get to where they are doing the broadcast since the PC would probably be around an hour, then another like hour and a half of interviews and then maybe more interviews since by then it would be news time.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Are these the same two radio guys that humiliated Goodenow in an interview over the phone?

Saskins also felt the wrath of these two guys?

:dunno:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
HF2002 said:

You're giving Gary Bettman too much credit

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I agree with the previous comment that this was a booked interview, Bettman will say very little except we are making good progress and stilll a tonne of work to do. The final comment will be two weeks or so

I believe the CBA will be done is the week of July 15th IMO.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
With all due respect to Mike and MD, I don't think we're going to find out the lockout is over on their show. Obviously, Bettman and Lamoriello have been scheduled for some time on this "special" 24-hour fundraiser. But I will say you guys do like to let your imaginations run wild. ;)

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
BobMckenzie said:
With all due respect to Mike and MD, I don't think we're going to find out the lockout is over on their show. Obviously, Bettman and Lamoriello have been scheduled for some time on this "special" 24-hour fundraiser. But I will say you guys do like to let your imaginations run wild. ;)

Bob, you just did more with that statement than GKJ's 7 mm optimisim hunting gun could have ever done... ;)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I agree with Bob. Actually... 5pm is supposed to be the kickoff of the fundraiser. It's kinda ironic that they kick it off with 2 guests from the sport they know the least about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad