Better skater: Young Crosby or Young OV

Better young skater?

• Total voters

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think people forget how fantastic a skater young Ovechkin was. He was just as fast as anyone in the league at full speed and he could stickhandle and shoot going that fast. He was kinda like MacKinnon the way he could just burst into top speed in an dgsnt.

This is still Crosby though, who was probably just as fast but with better agility.

Both were like bulls on their edges.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Before his high ankle sprain Crosby was better overall skater. He wasn't quite as explosive but propably as fast on top speed as OV. Crosby had better lateral movement and he was quicker to turn.

But in his sophomore season he lost bit of his speed and Ovechkins skating remained on higher level.

So, pre high ankle sprain I'd say Sid but after that Ovechkin. Voted OV for that reason.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Ovechkin skating is technically bad he has always looked like beer league player his skating is bad.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I feel like every poll involving Crosby is severely tainted. A fair portion of those voting in his favour would vote for him in practically any situation, and a very significant portion of those voting against him would do so even if his competition was a rotten banana peel.

Anyways, @Plural outlined it perfectly.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby might not be the fastest skater ever (even though he was very fast in his younger days), but overall (including edgework, agility, lateral movement, etc) he's one of the best skaters to ever play the game.

Reactions: jw2 and 99664987

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Crosby might not be the fastest skater ever (even though he was very fast in his younger days), but overall (including edgework, agility, lateral movement, etc) he's one of the best skaters to ever play the game.

Yeah. Without that ankle injury he propably scores 10 more points/82 games. He was very fast.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Crosby was always better on a technical level but Ovi was just insane physically. One of the most explosive players I've ever watched. You could vote either way on this one.

Reactions: varank

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
If people argue that Crosby was the better overall skater because of his balance on his skates and lateral agility, I’m completely fine with that. I will say though that young Ovechkin had about as explosive an opening few strides as I’ve ever seen in hockey. I remember watching him live during his third year in the league (when I was fortunate enough to have lower bowl seats next to Bruce Boudreau’s wife), and I remember thinking that this dude was Adrian Peterson on skates. Guy was an absolutely freakish combination of size/speed and suddenness.

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
i knew this video was out there...

Like most Crosby/Ovechkin comparisons, Ovechkin's attributes (explosiveness) are more obvious than crosby's subtleties (edgework). the poll could go either way.

6:18 of the video is freakish/pre-high ankle sprain Crosby.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
i knew this video was out there...

Like most Crosby/Ovechkin comparisons, Ovechkin's attributes (explosiveness) are more obvious than crosby's subtleties (edgework). the poll could go either way.

6:18 of the video is freakish/pre-high ankle sprain Crosby.

An ankle sprain does not stop Crosby from jumping in the air or doing spin moves

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Ovi was the more dynamic skater but I think Crosby was a better skater in just about every other way. More balanced, more agile, more powerful, better edgework. His technical abilities are literally off the charts

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Ovi was the more dynamic skater but I think Crosby was a better skater in just about every other way. More balanced, more agile, more powerful, better edgework. His technical abilities are literally off the charts

I think you need to check what dynamic actually means

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
OV that acceleration was just sick. It was like he just exploded.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'm surprised that Ovechkin is winning this poll. The only advantage he has are the first 2 strides, which was arguably the best in the league. Crosby had better top end speed and technical abilities like stopping, turning, lateral movement and balance.

I think people forget that Crosby was among the fastest in the league before his ankle injury in iirc year 3

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin does this while weighing 230-240.

There are other players who are as big.

There are other players who skate as well.

There are no other players who are Ovechkin's size who can move like he does. Guy is a physical freak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->