Better skater (skating abilities) — Guy Lafleur or Yvan Cournoyer?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I was wondering who was the better skater—and by skater I mean their skating abilities, not who was the better player—between Guy Lafleur and Yvan Cournoyer? (Lafleur was obviously the better player, all due respect to the Roadrunner)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I would tip it in Guys favor. Both had blinding speed. But Guy could fly down the ice, set up a scoring play, then be the first guy back behind Dryden battling for a loose puck. The Flowers speed really stood out in all three zones (especially in big games and play offs).

In Cournyers favor he was almost done when I saw him play. Scored 15 goals in the 71 play offs though. A record at the time.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I saw when the Roadrunner played only on the PP.

When it came to speed I think Beep Beep was faster than Flower Power. But Guy had better edges.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
It must be understood that back then the RR was one of the fastest skaters ( back then ) today due to better training, better skates, better conditioning lots of players in the current NHL are as fast as YC was back then. The NHL has gone through big changes in the last 3-4 years. No longer dominated by super heavy power forwards, it's all about speed these days

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was wondering who was the better skater—and by skater I mean their skating abilities, not who was the better player—between Guy Lafleur and Yvan Cournoyer? (Lafleur was obviously the better player, all due respect to the Roadrunner)
Cournoyer was faster skater but Lafleur could dangle. Both were explosive

Reactions: jj cale

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Lafleur was so explosive that when he took possession of the puck in the center it already was a scoring chance.

I feel old today.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Lafleur was so explosive that when he took possession of the puck in the center it already was a scoring chance.

I feel old today.
I would agree. Both players were among the fastest players of their contemporaries. Having watched both of them play their entire careers I can only say that Lafleur was a more dynamic skater with the puck than the great Cournoyer.

Brownies

Looking at old tapes, I was surprised by Henri Richard. He was a great skater ! Something very modern about his technique... with old equipment. Hard to say between Cournoyer and Lafleur. I’ll side with everyone and say Cournoyer was faster but Flower better dangling with the puck. Still : probably Cournoyer overall.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Guy had the puck handling and dekes at top speed, Yvan was the Road Runner, no one caught him. Take both in their prime and one on one in the speed competition, I bet Yvan's a second faster. but it sure would be fun to see. We should get someone to ask them since they're both around the Habs a lot. Would be interesting to get their takes on the subject.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->