Better Skater: Peak Sidney Crosby vs Connor McDavid

Better Skater: Peak Sidney Crosby vs Connor McDavid

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Because this is HF I always expect Crosby to win polls, but McDavid is just objectively a better skater

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Crosby was a fine skater at his peak, but McD is one of the best ever. This shouldn't be close.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Crosby does numerous things better than McDavid. Skating is definitely not one of them

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Crosby was a fine skater at his peak, but McD is one of the best ever. This shouldn't be close.

‘Fine’ is a huge understatement...Crosby is one of the best skaters ever as well.

Seems like people are forgetting how good Crosby was at his peak. Not quite as fast as McDavid but he was different kind of skater.

The stops and starts, 10-2 kind of skating, crazy balance and strength on his edges.

This is much closer than people making it out to be imo.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The argument for Sid is his edgework. Because there is a clip of Crosby crossing over McDavid behind the net and McDavid can't defend him. I can't find it so if someone knows what I'm talking about post it.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Lol @ TO and Pen fans voting Crosby.

Just a big lol

There is no aspect of skating Crosby has on McFlash other then having a lower center of gravity thus giving 87 slightly more balance.

McDavid along with Coffey and Orr are revolutionary skaters. Greatest of all time.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
This is an unfair poll to Crosby.

Peak Crosby was actually a very elite skater (he's still great now too).

But McDavid is arguably the best skater in NHL history.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Mcdavid is likely the greatest skater in NHL history. Pretty much flawless.

Crosby had great edges in his prime but that's not going to help him in a comparison against McDavid.

Reactions: snipes

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'd love to see a side by side comparison. McDavid is faster and that's a given. However, regarding sharp turns, edgework and for all the less "flashy" aspects of skating I did not see him enough to be able to say whoever is the best (that is to say, almost every highlights I see of McDavid are him just flying through everyone, so I can just attest that he's better than Crosby based on speed and on a more or less straight line).

People saying Crosby's skating was "fine" are out to lunch. He couldn't have been the (arguably) best hockey player in the world for most of his career by using "fine" skating. It was at the very least excellent.

Reactions: sanscosm

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'd love to see a side by side comparison. McDavid is faster and that's a given. However, regarding sharp turns, edgework and for all the less "flashy" aspects of skating I did not see him enough to be able to say whoever is the best (that is to say, almost every highlights I see of McDavid are him just flying through everyone, so I can just attest that he's better than Crosby based on speed and on a more or less straight line).

People saying Crosby's skating was "fine" are out to lunch. He couldn't have been the (arguably) best hockey player in the world for most of his career by using "fine" skating. It was at the very least excellent.

McDavid with the puck on his stick at full stride is the greatest skater in NHL history.

But yes, peak Crosby was an outstanding skater but not the GOAT skater like McDavid is.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Crosby might have better edge work but McDavids far superior acceleration and top end speed are more than enough to make up the difference.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid AINEC.

I disagree that Crosby has better edge worth, that's just media hype. Or people not understanding what edge work is.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think some people underrated McDavid’s overall skating ability. He’s not just some speedster. His edgework is what allows him to control the puck as well as he does.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Mcdavid is faster than Sid ever was, but in terms of edgework, balance, etc. Sid is certainly superior.

McDavid's edge work is as good as I've ever seen, including Crosby. Sid definitely had/has more strength on is skates, but that's about all he has on McDavid as far as skating goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad