Better Skater - Eichel vs. Young Crosby

Better overall skating ability?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How does Eichel compare to a young Crosby in terms of overall skating ability? Their styles are obviously very different but who would you say is/was better? I think it's Crosby just barely but also believe Eichel has a faster top end speed. You could also compare them both before and after their high ankle sprains.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I think Eichel has great edgework, agility, acceleration and balance as well.

He does. Eichel is an amazing skater, but Crosby has tree trunks for legs. That helps significantly when down low on the boards and people are leaning into him. It's much harder to knock Crosby young/old off of the puck. It's not a knock against eichel, they are just built differently.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Eichel is faster than Crosby ever has been, but Crosby's edgework and quick turns are so otherwordly that they turn the tide for him quite clearly.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Eichel is faster than Crosby ever has been, but Crosby's edgework and quick turns are so otherwordly that they turn the tide for him quite clearly.

I think people forget how fast/explosive Crosby was when he first game into the league, and only remember Crosby after his high ankle sprain.

He wasn't quite at McDavid's top end speed, but he was capable of burning defenders with his speed regularly like McDavid does before he took the tumble into the boards and cost him almost 30 games.

Reactions: 99664987

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I think people forget how fast/explosive Crosby was when he first game into the league, and only remember Crosby after his high ankle sprain.

He wasn't quite at McDavid's top end speed, but he was capable of burning defenders with his speed regularly like McDavid does before he took the tumble into the boards and cost him almost 30 games.
Crosby was fast, but I don't think he was as fast as Eichel. The average skating speed in the NHL now is quite a bit higher than it was when Crosby came to the league. Here's a really impressive highlight video from Crosby back then, but I don't think he was ever among the very fastest players in the league.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He does. Eichel is an amazing skater, but Crosby has tree trunks for legs. That helps significantly when down low on the boards and people are leaning into him. It's much harder to knock Crosby young/old off of the puck. It's not a knock against eichel, they are just built differently.

Yeah I wasn't arguing in Eichel's favour, I was arguing that Crosby doesn't have him beat by a longshot in skating.

Reactions: North Cole

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Crosby's edges with the puck around the boards are incredible. Eichel might be faster in a straight line but I have more of an appreciation for players like Crosby who are very proficient with lateral movement.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Crosby's edges with the puck around the boards are incredible. Eichel might be faster in a straight line but I have more of an appreciation for players like Crosby who are very proficient with lateral movement.

While Crosby might be the model for lateral skating in the NHL, Eichel still has top-level lateral mobility and edges as well.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Eichel is faster but crosby’s Agility is nearly unmatched (I say nearly because of guys like Barzal and skinner)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Young Crosby was closer to McDavid than Eichel in terms of skating ability.
Not true. Perhaps you remember things that way because the general skater in NHL was much worse back then. But McDavid's skating is far above what Crosby's was upon entering the league.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Crosby was smooth as butter, strong, phenomenal edgework, and one of the best skaters in the league in his prime. Eichel barely beats him in a speedskating contest but gets destroyed around pylons.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
This is pretty easily Crosby but Eichel’s skating is so unique there are certain things he does that Crosby can’t. Take a look at his breakaway goal earlier this week - takes a couple powerful strides and then just spreads his legs wide using his span to box out as he takes the puck in. He can slow the game down and control with his skating and stick it like few others can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad