Better rookie season - dahlin vs hesikanen

Better rookie season - dahlin vs hesikanen

• Total voters

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How many points have the Sabres scored without one of Reinhart-Eichel-Skinner on the ice? It seems like the only time they score at all is if it's with one of them or Dahlin on ice.

Sadly the same has applied with the Stars for nearly the entire season. Both teams have bad offenses, with the Stars being slightly worse this season than the Sabres

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Last time I checked Dahlin had better possession numbers, both raw and relative to team, but by all means if you have the time please present all statistics in which Heiskanen has been just as good or better.

Miro Heiskanen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Rasmus Dahlin Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

You also need to remember Heiskanen has almost 400 more shifts than Dahlin so some information will be skewed. By what i post it looks like Heiskanen has better overall numbers.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Miro Heiskanen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Rasmus Dahlin Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

You also need to remember Heiskanen has almost 400 more shifts than Dahlin so some information will be skewed. By what i post it looks like Heiskanen has better overall numbers.
Looking at those stats Dahlin actually has better relative Corsi and Fenwick numbers and not as close as stated earlier in the thread. Also if we look at their respective teams, Dahlin leads all Sabres skaters who has played more than 20 games in both CF% Rel and FF% Rel whilst Heiskanen is #3 and #5 respectively.

2018-19 Buffalo Sabres Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

2018-19 Dallas Stars Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Or am I looking at the stats wrongly?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
And what analysis is your opinion based on? Because stats wise you are completely incorrect.

Stats wise I’m pretty spot on actually - Raw possession numbers, relative possession numbers, points. But mostly the eye test, Dahlin is going to be absolutely elite and already is well on his way.

Heiskanen is a hell of a talent. But Dahlin is the best rookie Dman I’ve seen in my lifetime.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Heiskanen has a pretty solid advantage in scoring chance for and high danger corsi for rates. Defensively they are actually not super different statistically when you factor in that Dallas as a team is clearly better at defending than Buffalo this year. Dahlin performed better when defending a lead while interestingly enough Heiskanen has had better results while his team is trailing and he's trying to attack. Dahlin is much better on the PP but Miro is solid on the PK where Dahlin barely plays.

Statistically you can cherry pick 10 stats for either that makes them look clearly better than the other, it just depends which stats you value, which style you prefer, and whether you buy into one player's hype vs the other's. As a Stars fan my choice is obvious, but Dahlin is just extraordinary, there's no doubt about it. If this poll were about high end potential or projected career impact, my vote would be his.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Stats wise I’m pretty spot on actually - Raw possession numbers, relative possession numbers, points. But mostly the eye test, Dahlin is going to be absolutely elite and already is well on his way.

Heiskanen is a hell of a talent. But Dahlin is the best rookie Dman I’ve seen in my lifetime.
Haven't been alive very long eh?
Or is this where you throw in the qualifier @18yrs old?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Haven't been alive very long eh?
Or is this where you throw in the qualifier @18yrs old?

I wasn’t around for Bourque, MacInnis, Housley etc. Am too young to remember Lidstrom. I rate Dahlins year as being better than Myers/Phaneuf/anyone else post lockout.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I wasn’t around for Bourque, MacInnis, Housley etc. Am too young to remember Lidstrom. I rate Dahlins year as being better than Myers/Phaneuf/anyone else post lockout.

Dude may have an extremely high ceiling but this rookie season, while really good, isn't at the level you seem to be putting it at. A good argument has been made that Heiskanen may have had a better rookie season. So do you think they both are having the two best seasons in decades?

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
And Heiskanen is a really good hockey player. The difference is that Dahlin is a record breaking defenseman. Why try to compare some of the better up and coming players around the league to a player whose a generational defensemen?

Is "record breaking" such a big deal? What if he didn't "break" the record, and only scored 39 or 40 points this season? Would he still be generational and so much better than Heiskanen in your mind? 39, 40, 41, they are all very arbitrary numbers to me.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I might aswell write this here, but is comparing Heiskanen vs. Dahlin a somewhat taboo subject on hfboards? A thread about calder race on main boards got deleted, apparently because the discussion about Heiskanen and Dahlin wasn't to some moderators' liking. And when I inquired about it my posts got deleted as well.

I mean I can understand locking threads when things get too heated, but just deleting it? Like it didn't exist? Out of sight, out of mind?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad