Better Ranger - Fast or Hagelin

Better Ranger?

• Total voters

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Fast is a good guy. I like him and want him to do well but all the never ending praise had a disconnect when it came to trade value and salary. I'm not bashing Fast by any means but if Fast is as good as some Rangers coaches imply wouldn't he be in much stronger demand by other teams GMs? There have been some strong value for defensive guys in NHL history. I think of Fast like I think of Jan Erixon. A guy that got huge praise from Rangers coaches every year but did not have strong demand from other GMs.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I'm going with Fast. He was somehow able to keep up with Panarin and not look out of place on that line which lit the lamp on a nightly basis. That, in addition to all of the defensive attributes he brought to the table made him a lot more versatile than Hagelin.

Hagelin, did, however, give the team a speed identity and was fantastic for getting to loose pucks. He was great, especially in the playoffs.

Let's face it, both players punched above their weight and contributed far beyond what was advertised with pure effort and determination. They're the types of players you need to build a contender.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Hagelin better player

Fast only shown how shallow the Rangers depth was that prospects could not replace a no offense PK player

Reactions: CasusBelli

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
This is a tough one. Hags will probably win because he was the more popular/exciting player and had excellent wheels. But Fast, IMO, was the more important player in terms of their overall on-ice performance. He never made a mistake, played great defense, and never took a shift off. He got flack last year for being put in a position that was probably above his pay grade...but it also didn’t stop Artemi from having an MVP-type season. So...did he really do a bad job?

It’s close, but I’m voting Fast.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I’d say Hagelin yet Fast, ironically was slower. You need these type role players to win imo.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hagelin but they weren't similar players.

Hagelin was one of the most unique players in hockey at the time and was basically the marquee support player. Fast is much better defensively and had much better stick play (Hagelin was pretty overrated defensively at ES) but Hagelin had a massive edge on offense, PK, and of course speed and tempo.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If only Hags had better hands he would be an elite player.

Not really. He didn't have great vision or offensive IQ, couldn't really slow the game down. He was all speed, his hands were average but nothing that held him back from being anything more than what he was. a really good role player

Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
I certainly agree with your points. But, maybe if he didn't have hands like feet the game would slow down for him, and improve his offensive IQ and vision. Seemed he always struggled with the puck.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Just seeing this thread now. Both were among the most underrated players in the league, underappreciated by fans when they were here, and criminally discarded.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hagelin put up 130 points in 266 games as a NYR. Just under .50 points per game.

Fast put up 147 in 422 games.

Offensively its not close. As both were primarily 3rd/4th line tweeners.

Defensively I give the nod to Fast, but its not some cavernous gap. Hags was very good defensively in his own right

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad