Who is the better prospect?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know Robertson's stock has risen, but why are we comparing him to a top 5 pick with superstar potential?

I didn't think I should vote because I put the poll up.

The reason I'm comparing them is that they are 12 days apart in age. No one will care about what draft they were in when they are 28-29. It's only considered relevant now. There are also similarities between the two players. They both have been excellent in the OHL this year, they both are under-sized skill forwards, they both are not elite skaters for smaller forwards, and I think there are positional similarities. Robertson already moved off center, Rossi might have to.

I don't know which player I'd vote for, and I'm not going to vote because I put up the poll, but I don't understand why it's as lopsided as it is.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007

The reason I'm comparing them is that they are 12 days apart in age. No one will care about what draft they were in when they are 28-29. It's only considered relevant now. There are also similarities between the two players. They both have been excellent in the OHL this year, they both are under-sized skill forwards, they both are not elite skaters for smaller forwards, and I think there are positional similarities. Robertson already moved off center, Rossi might have to.

I don't know which player I'd vote for, and I'm not going to vote because I put up the poll, but I don't understand why it's as lopsided as it is.

Recency bias, more press on Rossi for the upcoming draft. Robertston is a fine prospect. Voted Rossi, but this one could be a lot closer a few years down the road, maybe even shifted in the other direction.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Fair enough. I do really like Robertson and was screaming at the TV for the Wings to take him last year at 35. He definitely is a good prospect, but in my opinion, if we are projecting the ceiling for these 2 it is not even close.

Percent chance of getting a few NHL games: Rossi 100%, Robertson 100%
Percent chance of being an NHL regular: Rossi 100%, Robertson 90%
Percent chance of becoming AT WORST a 2nd liner: Rossi 95%, Robertson 70%
Percent chance of becoming a first liner: Rossi 75%, Robertson 50%
Percent chance of becoming an NHL star: Rossi 60%, Robertson 30%
Percent chance of becoming elite: Rossi 50%, Robertson 5%

This is my assessment of the 2 at the moment. Basically they're both going to be good NHL players, but I think Rossi has a higher ceiling, and is a safer bet to reach his full potential.

And yes, I know I am very high on Rossi. I think he's going to be unreal, and I've been a fan of his for a while now.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

I don't think most realize that Robertson was merely days away from being eligible for this draft. If he were eligible it would be very interesting where he would fall. I suspect both could go top 10 (in the scenario where Nick is eligible). Rossi had slightly higher production but played on a truly stacked junior team. Robertsons goal scoring is staggering and a true possible game changer.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I’m a huge Robertson fan, I was praying he would fall to the leafs and he thankfully did. What he’s done this past season is tremendous, but Rossi plays center and more than doubled Robertson’s draft year production. I’d take Rossi everyday but I’m so happy the leafs got nick.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

I like Robertson and he was a steal at 53, but I don't see him becoming more than a complimentary NHLer. That's not a bad thing — for a 2nd round pick it's a great outcome — but I see him more as a top-6 finisher and energy player than a line driver. Rossi is different. He's a much better playmaker and can control the game both offensively and defensively. Robertson reminds me of Yamamoto, Rossi reminds me of better-passing Brayden Point.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
@wetcoast - Rossi is less than 2 weeks younger than Robertson.

I realize that after reading other posts but the point still stands Rossi is clearly the superior offensive player with more elite skills.

Robertson is better at scoring goals and that's about it.

I respect the OP as he takes scouting seriously but he is really out to lunch here and I say this respectfully.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty much this, why is this even a poll here as Rossi outscored Robertson 2.14 PPG to 1.87 despite being a year younger last year.

It’s worth noting that Rossi plays on one of the best teams in the CHL. Both players score a lot. I wouldn’t use pure totals or PPG averages as a reason for or against either player. There are factors there that always need to be adjusted for.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I realize that after reading other posts but the point still stands Rossi is clearly the superior offensive player with more elite skills.

Robertson is better at scoring goals and that's about it.

I respect the OP as he takes scouting seriously but he is really out to lunch here and I say this respectfully.

Scoring goals is a pretty great thing to be better at, though. 16 more goals in 10 less games played, mostly on a worse team is not something that I would handwave.

This isn't me knocking Rossi, I voted as a homer but the reality is a playmaking C that can skate is hard to beat. I just don't think we'll look back on this as the embarrassment of a comparison some are portraying it as. I think pedigree and an illusion of an age difference is driving that sentiment.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It’s worth noting that Rossi plays on one of the best teams in the CHL. Both players score a lot. I wouldn’t use pure totals or PPG averages as a reason for or against either player. There are factors there that always need to be adjusted for.

Sure but part of that reason is Rossi he still has a 30 point lead on his team mate.

I still remember people saying his incredible rookie season was in part due to the strong team he joined in 18-19 and he almost doubled his point totals this year.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Robertson is a very good player and I would be surprised if he’s not a top six forward.

But clearly Rossi here.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I have not watched Rossi so I won't vote but 12 days apart is cute. It's fine if Rossi wins, no matter what we got a value pick. Sort of has me wanting Ottawa to take Rossi now though so we can compare them for the next decade.

I might be mistaken but I think the word is Rossi is more likely to play NHL C which is an endorsement on it's own.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
The age gap is barely relevant in this argument. This was Robertson's 3rd OHL Year and Rossi's 2nd.

Reactions: bert

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I have not watched Rossi so I won't vote but 12 days apart is cute. It's fine if Rossi wins, no matter what we got a value pick. Sort of has me wanting Ottawa to take Rossi now though so we can compare them for the next decade.

I might be mistaken but I think the word is Rossi is more likely to play NHL C which is an endorsement on it's own.

Is he likely to stick at C as a pro? I know Robertson was also a C at one point but moved over, I suspect to capitalize on his shot. It's Rossi but it shouldn't be some landslide. Pretend both are eligible this season, if you/anyone believes Rossi goes top 5 ish where does Robertson and his 81 goal pace (or whatever) fall? I also think Robertson has "it", which I know is silly and immeasurable metric but I just see him as a big game player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad