Better Playoff Run: Ovechkin '09 or Crosby '18?

Better playoff run?

• Total voters

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Peak Ovechkin was a force of nature. Hard to replicate that even if you and your winger both go on a hot streak.
(Crosby and Guentzel both shot at 30% in 2018; Ovechkin shot at 12% in 2009, he was just so good he got 11 goals and 21 points in 14 games anyway).

Reactions: Meloun

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Just like the other one, I think there’s a clear answer here, but in reverse. Ovechkin was at his best here, Crosby was post-peak on a heater.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Just like the other one, I think there’s a clear answer here, but in reverse. Ovechkin was at his best here, Crosby was post-peak on a heater.
Yeah, Crosby was very good but young Ovechkin was an absolute force offensively.

The funny thing is that the results of these polls will reveal the bias in the pro-OV cadre.

"Stats only matter when they favor OV"

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Crosby easily. Same amount of points in 2 less games

Kind of funny how you brought up linemates in the other thread but not this one. Not saying your answer is right or wrong, but that seems deliberately biased.

Ovechkin led his team in scoring by six points and in goals by six goals whereas Crosby was tied with Guentzel in points and Jake had one more goal.

Reactions: um and stl76

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Kind of funny how you brought up linemates in the other thread but not this one. Not saying your answer is right or wrong, but that seems deliberately biased.

Ovechkin led his team in scoring by six points and in goals by six goals whereas Crosby was tied with Guentzel in points and Jake had one more goal.
Just playing the game

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Crosby easily. Same amount of points in 2 less games

There should be a too clsoe to call option here.

I thought about that and on the surface sure but Ovi was a slightly better play driver but I also think Backstrom and Semin are better linemates than Guentzel and the assorted cast on the wing.

I can see someone taking Ovechkin but this year is alot closer than the 09 crosby/18 Ovechkin year is.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is Ovi and it shouldn't be close.

Crosby put up a ton of points in 2018, that is true. Ovechkin dominated like very few other players ever have done in the playoffs in those two rounds. Both Crosby and Ovechkin were better in the playoffs in 2009 than they were in 2018. Their battle in 2009 was the battle of two behemoths, 2018 was just not on that level.

Reactions: Khomutov

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
This was OV’s best playoff performance that lasted more than a round (not close either). Crosby was great in 2018, but didn’t dominate like Ovechkin did in 2009.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin by a huge margin.

Sid was a defensive liability in 2018, especially in the playoffs. He had 7 even strength points in the Capitals series and still found a way to be plus minus zero - which means the Penguins were getting scored on a lot when Sid was on the ice.

Ovechkin's 2009 playoffs has no weakness individually.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Sid was a defensive liability in 2018, especially in the playoffs. He had 7 even strength points in the Capitals series and still found a way to be plus minus zero - which means the Penguins were getting scored on a lot when Sid was on the ice.

Good call on the importance of +/-.

I assume you also think Crosby should have won the Hart above Ovechkin in 2012-2013 season right? Crosby a + 26 - in only 36 games, whereas Ovechkin barely a +2.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Good call on the importance of +/-.

I assume you also think Crosby should have won the Hart above Ovechkin in 2012-2013 season right? Crosby a + 26 - in only 36 games, whereas Ovechkin barely a +2.

I didn't say anything about plus minus - which is largely a team stat.

I was talking about Sidney Crosby's pathetic defense.

Anyway, no, Hart winners - if they are forwards - should generally not be more than doubled up in goals IMO.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Ovechkin and Crosby were both better through 2 rounds in 2009 than Crosby in 2018 imo.

It's a little weird how you bring up defence and +/- in some circumstances, but not all :sarcasm:

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Seems like both the Caps and Pens fans are getting caught up in their own double standards here…

Their overall offensive was close, but like mentioned above, Crosby rode a very high shooting % and was equally produced by a teammate. And if I can recall correctly, didn’t the Pens essentially play against AHL goalies in that Philly series (please correct me if I’m wrong). Comparing just point and goal per game numbers isn’t at all accurate in the playoffs when the opponents are vastly different.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Ovechkin.

Also like others have mentioned Crosby was better in 2009 than in 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad