• Getzlaf

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Spezza

Votes: 62 47.0%

• Total voters

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Spezza ainec. Though obviously Getzlaf surpasses him in everything else.

Interesting, I’d argue that Spezza is a far better goal scorer, whereas Getzlaf has approx 85 more assists in approx 75 fewer games. Statistically speaking, the consensus in this thread is the opposite of the reality. I will say I think the statistical difference isn’t representative of the actual difference in playmaking ability, but I’m surprised to see Getz viewed as the better goal scorer

Reactions: Vipers31

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Interesting, I’d argue that Spezza is a far better goal scorer, whereas Getzlaf has approx 85 more assists in approx 75 fewer games. Statistically speaking, the consensus in this thread is the opposite of the reality. I will say I think the statistical difference isn’t representative of the actual difference in playmaking ability, but I’m surprised to see Getz viewed as the better goal scorer

I mean Getzlaf is likely to be a HOFer.

Spezza? Hall of very good.

Reactions: Boo Boo

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Yeah I was thinking the same thing

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Top 10 assist finishes:
Getzlaf:
3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 7, 8

Spezza:
2, 7, 9

Top 10 assist per game finishes:
Getzlaf:
1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 7, 7, 9, 9

Spezza:
2, 6, 6

This is Getzlaf and it’s not remotely close.
Yea, i'm really not understanding how Spezza is leading this poll.

Reactions: Paul4587

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I almost think you have to break it down further than that to accurately reflect things. I'd say Spezza has been the far more "creative" and "exciting" playmaker by a pretty substantial margin. Whereas the numbers in this thread demonstrate Getzlaf has been the slightly more productive raw "assist collector".

Spezza is much more what i think of when someone says, "playmaker" though. Particularly at his peak, he truly "created plays". Lots of flash and dazzle in creating scoring opportunities for linemates in unique ways. There was always a superlative level of vision and inventiveness to his game. Getzlaf to me on the other hand, has always been one of those guys who is an "on paper playmaker" more than a "pure playmaker". In the sense of being a very productive player, and not much of a goalscorer...yet mostly just quietly moving the puck to areas where goals are most typically scored, or situations where goals are most typically generated. Comparatively, Getzlaf has always just had a real "efficiency" to what he does passing the puck.

There's a wide chasm for me between the two, when it comes to creating those memorable plays, or ones that pull you out of your seat with amazement. But whether you think that kind of thing is relevant or whether it's just a pure question of, "who had more assists" and the ruthless efficiency of making those simple passes that lead to goals, kinda changes how one might answer this question.

Reactions: Felidae

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Spezza here. He didn’t have a great shot, or was even a good skater but man was his playmaking something special.
Spezza ainec. Though obviously Getzlaf surpasses him in everything else.

man what

Spezza had a great shot and was a pretty good skater in his prime.

I’d say Getzlaf was clearly a better playmaker and obviously tougher, but Spezza was more skilled and a better scorer.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
I’ve always felt Getzlaf’s playmaking reputation has suffered due to his power forward style and the presumption that PFs are more goalscorer than playmaker. He was a better playmaker over his career than Spezza, even if Spezza did peak higher during the Pizza line years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad