Better Player: Tobias Rieder or Vinnie Hinostroza

Rieder vs Hino

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Vinnie is miles better, he has actual hands and vision on the ice. Plays with compete that Reider lacked and can actually move laterally as well as blazing forward speed

Reactions: Lilhoody and Mosby

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
At his absolute best I think Rieder was the better player. But his peak didn't last all that long.
Played much tougher minutes with a two way game and could PK.

Hinostroza is much more creative on the ice and a better offensive player in general.

If Hinostroza repeats this season again, I'd take his two best years over Rieders best two pretty easily. We're comparing 292 games to 54 so that's a factor. These are the types of players who flame out. If Hinostroza proves to be even marginally more consistent than Rieder he'll be the winner of this at some point.

But as of right now I'd take 15/16 Rieder over 18/19 Hino, slightly.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
At his absolute best I think Rieder was the better player. But his peak didn't last all that long.
Played much tougher minutes with a two way game and could PK.

Hinostroza is much more creative on the ice and a better offensive player in general.

If Hinostroza repeats this season again, I'd take his two best years over Rieders best two pretty easily. We're comparing 292 games to 54 so that's a factor. These are the types of players who flame out. If Hinostroza proves to be even marginally more consistent than Rieder he'll be the winner of this at some point.

But as of right now I'd take 15/16 Rieder over 18/19 Hino, slightly.

You're fired.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think it's really that close. Rieder was a tenacious puck hound to start out.
I like Vinnie, who has had a good stretch lately, but I don't think he's impacted games the same way Rieder did at his peak.

As Sniper notes, it wasn't a terribly long peak, but still higher.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I added a poll, I like these questions :P

You're fired.

I will say if THIS team traded Hinostroza for the best version of Rieder we'd might actually get worse. This squad needs Hinostroza's game more than it needs Rieder's.

The question is interesting because I think it's pretty close in the abstract, but based on need the answer could change.
We already have the best PK, Rieder would be redundant. But say Chicago with the league's worst PK? Probably helped more by a Rieder type.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I go Hino. Better offensive instincts and shot selection. Can actually score breakaways with decent consistency haha.

However, I was never super high on Rieder to begin with.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is the traditional request there really should be a Kyle Chipchura choice there.... :naughty:

Seriously speaking tho.....

Rieder was better defensively, Hinostroza is better offensively.

Rieder was made for the style of That Coach Who Shall Not Be Named, Hinostroza fits what Tocchet wants now.

We got Reider’s prime years before he got hurt (thanks Cory Perry.... you pr*ck!!).

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I must be the only one in here who doesn’t view Hinostroza as a throwaway “tweener”. I might be biased because I’ve liked him since his Norte Dame days, but he has as much potential as anyone on this roster aside from Keller, Chucky, or Schmaltz.

Reactions: Lilhoody

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I must be the only one in here who doesn’t view Hinostroza as a throwaway “tweener”. I might be biased because I’ve liked him since his Norte Dame days, but he has as much potential as anyone on this roster aside from Keller, Chucky, or Schmaltz.
I thought last night was an eye opening performance on his potential. I always just thought he was just a 3rd liner with upside.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
TL said:
Rieder was better defensively, Hinostroza is better offensively.

To me the deciding factor, at least for now, is Hinostroza being "better offensively" hasn't translated to anything.

Peak Rieder was putting up very similar numbers, made an impact defensively, and and didn't disappear at stretches. Over a couple seasons, not just a month or two.

If we haven't seen peak Vinnie, then he could very well elevate above the bar. But so far, I've seen mostly flashes amid stretches of him just being "there". He's been more engaged of late, so maybe he turns a corner. That shootout goal was disgusting!

I like him. I'm glad we have him. I just think there is some recency bias at play here. Past month or so has been great for him. And Rieder fell off a cliff and is now a 4th liner.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Toby had wheels and was excellent defensively. But he comes with no hands, couldn’t figure out Tocchet’s system, and his agent is a space cadet.

So I pick Vinny.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Hinostroza because he's playing well right now and he's a Coyote. I don't watch Rieder much anymore and he plays on another team so I know for sure he's not as good. ;)

Reactions: Katie Connauton

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'd say hino as he has been better this year than a average Rieder season. Rieder peak though so far.

Not just Rieder's avg. If you compare each players best season Hino comes out slightly ahead. I also prefer Vinnie's grit.

Toby has completely fallen off the planet this season. Zero goals in 50 games. His agent was right to have high salary demands. Must have foreseen a short career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad