Better player - Sean Monahan vs Ryan Johansen

Who's better

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Both are kind of disappointments. I guess it should be Monahan for his regular season production. I feel like Johansen is better when he's on though, and has shown more in the playoffs. Maybe he'd look better on another team since forward production seems to die in Nashville.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I like Monahan as a player. He’s a true number one centre. I really think Ryan Johanson is more of a second line centre.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Monahan gets treated like he is a 55 point center who makes 8 million and shows little effort.

Ryjo fits that description better than Monahan. Idk why so many flame fans are always roasting the guy. They talk about him like leaf fans did regarding tyler bozak when he was our 1C.

Monahan is a quality 1C. Not an elite one but he is a sure 1C. Before this year he had 146 pts in 156 games the previous 2 years. That's a 77 point pace. I know he plays with Gaudreau but good players play with one another all the time. He shouldnt be criticized for having a talented linemate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schred

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Monahan gets treated like he is a 55 point center who makes 8 million and shows little effort.

Ryjo fits that description better than Monahan. Idk why so many flame fans are always roasting the guy. They talk about him like leaf fans did tyler bozak when he was put 1C.

Monahan is a quality 1C. Not an elite one but he is a sure 1C. Before this year he had 146 pts in 156 games the previous 2 years. That's a 77 point pace. I know he plays with Gaudreau but good players play with one another all the time. He shouldnt be criticized for having a talented linemate.

Those numbers are somewhat skewed by one outlier season in 18-19 though. He has decent production but he's a bad defensive player who isn't very good at driving offense and whose effort level also comes and goes. If he's a 1C, he's on the very low end of it. There's at least 25 centers I take before him.

Reactions: ArtemisIncarnate

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Those numbers are somewhat skewed by one outlier season in 18-19 though. He has decent production but he's a bad defensive player who isn't very good at driving offense and whose effort level also comes and goes. If he's a 1C, he's on the very low end of it. There's at least 25 centers I take before him.

But that just means he's capable of putting up those kinds numbers, and I wouldn't call him bad defesively.
RyJo has shown that he can too, but only in spurts. The extra 3+ mill/year well into his 30's and that contract doesn't look so good.
Right now I'll stick with what I have.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
But that just means he's capable of putting up those kinds numbers, and I wouldn't call him bad defesively.
RyJo has shown that he can too, but only in spurts. The extra 3+ mill/year well into his 30's and that contract doesn't look so good.
Right now I'll stick with what I have.

I don't know if it does really. That was a year where everything went right for the team, and he's old enough to know what he is at this point and it seems unlikely he will hit those numbers again. Defensively, all his underlying numbers point to him being a negative defensively. Numbers aren't perfect, but at the very least I think it's hard to argue he offers much outside of his production. I would stick with Monahan too, especially with the contract differences, but I was mainly responding to the posters comments on why Monahan gets criticized so much. He's a good player, and he's a 1C in the top 31 center sense, but his strengths don't really jive with what you usually want out of your number 1 center

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Monahan is a guy who I feel like he always gets a bad rap, but it seems like he always comes through with some big goals, whenever I watch the Flames if it's late in the third or when they are in a close game Monahan is the guy you really look out for. Him and Horvat were two guys I always saw as being similar sorts of players. Horvat is faster and better off the rush and Monahan is better in around the net and in the slot but they are both that sort of well-rounded 2c who is not necessarily a two-way guy but not a huge liability there either, and brings leadership and character.

Johansen plays more of a free-flowing kind of game where Monahan is more about playing a zone game inside the bluelines. I feel like Johansen has not really played on a team whose style fits with the style of game he wants to play and it shows more and more over the years. They have changed a lot of personnel in Nashville but I still think he could use a change of scenery, I think he would do well on a team like Carolina or Chicago where they open it up a bit more and have other top offensive guys to carry more of the load.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I'm not a Monahan fan and would trade him for much less than the average Flames fan. However Ryjo is always one of those names that makes me go ehhhh. He's been pretty good in the playoffs throughout his career and I might take him over Monahan but I don't think I'd make a straight across trade because of his contract.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Monahan is the Rodney Dangerfield of hockey, he keeps putting up numbers but gets no respect.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, I agree with this. Very disappointing player. Has all the talent to be a top 15-20 center. Monahan is not as talented, but he isn’t the underachiever that Johansen is.
Yup. RyJo at full force is unplayable. The only issue is that you see that player like 15 times a year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In a playoff series I have a strong preference for Johansen over Monahan. Monahan gets wrecked in the toughest matchups, Johansen can handle them if he cares to.

In the regular season I'd prefer Monahan just because the part-time job approach of Johansen is such a drain on the spirit of the team. But he's still maybe better than Monahan in a lot of ways. Lower scoring currently but if he was the one flanked by Gaudreau the scoring totals would be reversed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad