Better peak: Howe vs Lemieux?

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
I keep seeing people saying that they rank Howe over Lemieux based on Howe's longevity. Am I the only one who would also rank Howe over Lemieux for peak?

In my book Howe was almost as good offensively as Lemieux, but better in almost any other aspect of the game: Defense, leadership, toughness, competitiveness etc.

Who would you rather have on your team in a Stanley Cup final - Howe or Lemieux?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
As strange as it may sound; Lemieux never lead the finals in scoring. Finished behind teammates in both trips.

As to who had the better peak. Heart says Lemieux, head says Howe.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I keep seeing people saying that they rank Howe over Lemieux based on Howe's longevity. Am I the only one who would also rank Howe over Lemieux for peak?

In my book Howe was almost as good offensively as Lemieux, but better in almost any other aspect of the game: Defense, leadership, toughness, competitiveness etc.

Who would you rather have on your team in a Stanley Cup final - Howe or Lemieux?

My answer is always to very, very quickly say Lemieux for peak (especially offensive peak).

If someone loves all around play enough to offset the offensive domination of Lemieux and pick Howe....fine. Some people pick Toews over Crosby after all, so that's fine. What really bugs me is people who suggest Howe was better than Lemieux offensively at his peak.

Especially when the only metric/argument they come up with is his domination over peers in his art ross winning seasons. Crosby is also above Lemieux in that sense. You need to apply a ton of proper context to use such a statistic in any Howe or Lemieux comparison and i've rarely seen anyone do so properly.

To your question Lemieux for both.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
My answer is always to very, very quickly say Lemieux for peak (especially offensive peak).

If someone loves all around play enough to offset the offensive domination of Lemieux and pick Howe....fine. Some people pick Toews over Crosby after all, so that's fine. What really bugs me is people who suggest Howe was better than Lemieux offensively at his peak.

Especially when the only metric/argument they come up with is his domination over peers in his art ross winning seasons. Crosby is also above Lemieux in that sense. You need to apply a ton of proper context to use such a statistic in any Howe or Lemieux comparison and i've rarely seen anyone do so properly.

To your question Lemieux for both.

why is that? '53 howe had a larger lead over rocket richard than '89 mario had over yzerman.

hell, '53 howe had a larger lead over ted lindsay, his own linemate, than '89 mario had over yzerman.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
why is that? '53 howe had a larger lead over rocket richard than '89 mario had over yzerman.

hell, '53 howe had a larger lead over ted lindsay, his own linemate, than '89 mario had over yzerman.

So you bolded one sentence and purposefully ignored the next paragraph where i specifically address that?

% domination over field is a lazy inaccurate method of counting domination. Needs a ton of context to be useful.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

I don't think it's unreasonable to make a case that Lemieux was better offensively than peak Howe. But even if he was, his lead over Howe would certainly be much smaller than Crosby's offensive lead over Toews. You know what Howe's best seasons were relative to his peers and you know what Toews' best seasons were relative to his peers. It's not close.

IMO you have to at least rate Howe on par with Lemieux or at the very least close to him when you compare their overall peak play (offensive play plus everything else) even if you rate Lemieux the better offensive player. Howe obviously makes up a lot of ground with his all-around game and the difference offensively is nowhere near as large as Crosby vs Toews.

Why don't you go ahead and tell us specifically what context is missed or not used properly by your opponents?

Reactions: Sentinel

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
When presented with two equal or near equal talents, take the more violent player. Sometimes you play hockey, other times you play hockey. A player who can defend himself might save you a roster spot.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
We will see a Gordie Howe again. We will never see a Mario Lemieux again (nor a Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
FWIW, peak Mario was more sustained than peak Howe.

i see too many breaks in mario's peak years to reasonably call it sustained.

1988 season

1989 season

1990 season up to mid-february

1991 season starting at the end of january

1992 season up to the beginning of january, picking up again near the end of january, taking another break for the entire first half of february, taking another break for the second half of march, and again for half of april (five playoff games)

1993 season up to the beginning of january picking up again at the beginning of march

1994 season up to the beginning of november, picking up again in february

1996 season

that is the equivalent of one hell of an awesome five and a half year peak though. five art rosses, three harts, two cups, two conn smythes. average of 180 points/season.

but you are right that mario has more otherworldly peak than howe. if we pretend the 1990 and 1991 add up to one single season and throw out 1994 as noise, mario has five peak years, howe has four.

but then obviously howe has so incredibly much more prime...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think it's unreasonable to make a case that Lemieux was better offensively than peak Howe. But even if he was, his lead over Howe would certainly be much smaller than Crosby's offensive lead over Toews. You know what Howe's best seasons were relative to his peers and you know what Toews' best seasons were relative to his peers. It's not close.

IMO you have to at least rate Howe on par with Lemieux or at the very least close to him when you compare their overall peak play (offensive play plus everything else) even if you rate Lemieux the better offensive player. Howe obviously makes up a lot of ground with his all-around game and the difference offensively is nowhere near as large as Crosby vs Toews.

Why don't you go ahead and tell us specifically what context is missed or not used properly by your opponents?

I wasn't saying Toews is to Crosby what Howe is to Lemieux. I was saying if people can find a way to justify Toews above Crosby for being better "all around", the gap between Howe and Lemieux is much less than that so of course it can be done there too.

Context. Offensive peak. Basically boils down to, in a vacuum, would Howe have topped 199 points in 1989 with proper era adjustments, or Lemieux have topped 95 in 1953? It's too lazy to just look at domination over #2 and draw an immediate conclusion. To me 199 in 1989 is much more impressive and unattainable than 95 in 1953.

Competition. Richard 61 points. He had .87 PPG that year. That's his 2nd lowest in his career to date. He was also 31, 1953 was out of his peak. Howe benefited from weak competition (as Crosby in 14)
Yzerman 1989. 155 points. Career year, both in points, and PPG. Anomaly, much greater than anything else he's come close to.
Bernie Nichols? Again - career year. Anomaly. Howe's 1953 season is missing any anomalies.

Is Sidney Crosby's 2014 season pretty great? What if Kane had peaked in 2014 instead of 2016 - does it make Crosby's season suckier? I think scoring 104 points in 2014 should be evaluated based on how much we decide 104 points in 2014 should be, and not draw drastically different conclusions based on 1 or 2 player's career season occurring at the same time. Is 95 points in 1953 = to 199 points in 1989? What if Beliveau plays in 1953 and has his 1956 season then, do you change your answer?

In 1956 Beliveau scored 88 points. If Beliveau had been 3 years younger and had had his 56 season in 53 - do you think he scores 88 points? More? Less? Less than Richard's 61? Would Howe's peak have all of a sudden been that much weaker without changing a single thing to his own resume? You need proper context.

when I ask whose offensive peak was better - I try to answer the question "If Howe had played in 1989, or 1993, and had his best year then, what would his point and PPG total have looked like vs Lemieux's, with all appropriate adjustments". And Vice Versa.

There's a ton of context that needs to be considered.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
60 games 69-91-160
76 games 85-114-199
No one in NHL history besides Gretzky has beaten those numbers enough said.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I wasn't saying Toews is to Crosby what Howe is to Lemieux. I was saying if people can find a way to justify Toews above Crosby for being better "all around", the gap between Howe and Lemieux is much less than that so of course it can be done there too.

Context. Offensive peak. Basically boils down to, in a vacuum, would Howe have topped 199 points in 1989 with proper era adjustments, or Lemieux have topped 95 in 1953? It's too lazy to just look at domination over #2 and draw an immediate conclusion. To me 199 in 1989 is much more impressive and unattainable than 95 in 1953.

Competition. Richard 61 points. He had .87 PPG that year. That's his 2nd lowest in his career to date. He was also 31, 1953 was out of his peak. Howe benefited from weak competition (as Crosby in 14)
Yzerman 1989. 155 points. Career year, both in points, and PPG. Anomaly, much greater than anything else he's come close to.
Bernie Nichols? Again - career year. Anomaly. Howe's 1953 season is missing any anomalies.

Is Sidney Crosby's 2014 season pretty great? What if Kane had peaked in 2014 instead of 2016 - does it make Crosby's season suckier? I think scoring 104 points in 2014 should be evaluated based on how much we decide 104 points in 2014 should be, and not draw drastically different conclusions based on 1 or 2 player's career season occurring at the same time. Is 95 points in 1953 = to 199 points in 1989? What if Beliveau plays in 1953 and has his 1956 season then, do you change your answer?

In 1956 Beliveau scored 88 points. If Beliveau had been 3 years younger and had had his 56 season in 53 - do you think he scores 88 points? More? Less? Less than Richard's 61? Would Howe's peak have all of a sudden been that much weaker without changing a single thing to his own resume? You need proper context.

when I ask whose offensive peak was better - I try to answer the question "If Howe had played in 1989, or 1993, and had his best year then, what would his point and PPG total have looked like vs Lemieux's, with all appropriate adjustments". And Vice Versa.

There's a ton of context that needs to be considered.

Looks like your idea of context is a bunch of what ifs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad