• Led the league in points
  • 1st in assists
  • Won Ted Lindsay
  • 1.56 PPG

Last edited:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Malkin. Relative to league scoring and the rest of the field, coupled with the fact Crosby missed 60 games that year and Malkin truly was the engine driving the Pens' offense, I'd say he gets the nod.
That's where I think he could win this argument because the Pens that year minus Crosby were mediocre in my opinion (actually for that entire span of no titles from 10-15. depth was an afterthought). So everything did fall on Malkin's shoulders.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Malkin was the clear better player in my mind when you consider scoring pace relative to other top players/the league, teammates, linemates, goals, secondary assists, underlying numbers and the eye test. If you want to hold his missed 7 games against him though I could see maybe arguing Kucherov for value.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's where I think he could win this argument because the Pens that year minus Crosby were mediocre in my opinion (actually for that entire span of no titles from 10-15. depth was an afterthought). So everything did fall on Malkin's shoulders.

Aside from Crosby's missed games, the Pens were also without their #1D (Letang) for 30 games as well. Plus their 2C in Crosby's absence (J. Staal) missed 20 games. The second line for most of the year was Staal between an ancient Steve Sullivan and Pascal Dupuis. And the Pens still managed to finish with over 50 wins that season.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Aside from Crosby's missed games, the Pens were also without their #1D (Letang) for 30 games as well. Plus their 2C in Crosby's absence (J. Staal) missed 20 games. The second line for most of the year was Staal between an ancient Steve Sullivan and Pascal Dupuis. And the Pens still managed to finish with over 50 wins that season.

As an aside, it's crazy to think Crosby missed 54% of the games over a 3 year period and came back with a hart win.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Kucherov had Crosby levels of secondary assists whereas Malkin was actually doing the heavy lifting for his team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Malkin’s 2012 is the most impressive individual season we have seen since Lemieux when you factor in what he did in the playoffs. I’ve literally never seen a player outside of Gretzky and Lemieux do what Malkin did to the Canes.

...what? That was 2009. The thread is about his 2012 MVP award.

Reactions: varank

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As an aside, it's crazy to think Crosby missed 54% of the games over a 3 year period and came back with a hart win.

Not really. He was the best player in the world over that stretch - possibly by quite a bit. He would have easily won it in 2011, and in 2013. Even in 2012 - Malkin's great year - considering Crosby's pace when he did play, and how great he was the year before and after - it's very plausible to suggest he might have done even better. Don't think it's all that crazy that he came back with a hart win in 2014.

Consider McDavid. Let's say he missed 60% of the season last year. And does so again next year. He's still the best in the world. Assuming there are no lingering injury issues - he'd be the favorite for the hart in his return.

Impressive and all - but it's almost expected, not that extraordinary.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t understand why you guys didn’t make any sort of changes during that span. Keeping old veterans and a terrible bottom 6 with no speed and limited production isn’t something I expected considering the last time you won the cup, Crosby and Malkin literally did everything. The signs of failure were there yet your GM did nothing about it until he realized his 2 stars were getting older. Practically wasted the peak years of 87/71. Annoys me. Obviously you guys benefited after wth Kessel and a faster bottom 6 (2 cups), but it makes you think of what could’ve been. How many more titles lead by a great team top to bottom with 2 peak superstars. Could’ve been known as the greatest team ever imo. But I digress.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t understand why you guys didn’t make any sort of changes during that span. Keeping old veterans and a terrible bottom 6 with no speed and limited production isn’t something I expected considering the last time you won the cup, Crosby and Malkin literally did everything. The signs of failure were there yet your GM did nothing about it until he realized his 2 stars were getting older. Practically wasted the peak years of 87/71. Annoys me. Obviously you guys benefited after wth Kessel and a faster bottom 6 (2 cups), but it makes you think of what could’ve been. How many more titles lead by a great team top to bottom with 2 peak superstars. Could’ve been known as the greatest team ever imo. But I digress.

Ray Shero lost the plot after the 2009 Cup win. That, and his undying loyalty to Dan Bylsma hurt the Pens' window for about a 5 year stretch.

There's a reason I'm still bitter toward Shero even after all these years.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Ray Shero lost the plot after the 2009 Cup win. That, and his undying loyalty to Dan Bylsma hurt the Pens' window for about a 5 year stretch.

There's a reason I'm still bitter toward Shero even after all these years.
I didn’t really put blame on Dan during those years as much as others do. It was a top-to-bottom issue with the team from management to players.

I remember DB getting lots of heat during the years after the turnaround cup win. I thought it was uncalled for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad