Better hockey player: Lindros or Forsberg? [not career accomplishments]

Who was the better hockey player when healthy?

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think they were roughly on par as players. Similar offensively, with Lindros a better goalscorer and Forsberg a better playmaker. Forsberg was better defensively, but both dominated possession time and GF% though. Both were highly physical in different ways. I think I've always ultimately preferred Forsberg because I think he was a bit of a smarter player and seemed better able to adapt to different teams in the playoffs. I do wonder though if Lindros would have been better if he remained healthy, given he was more dominant offensively out of gate.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think they were roughly on par as players. Similar offensively, with Lindros a better goalscorer and Forsberg a better playmaker. Forsberg was better defensively, but both dominated possession time and GF% though. Both were highly physical in different ways. I think I've always ultimately preferred Forsberg because I think he was a bit of a smarter player and seemed better able to adapt to different teams in the playoffs. I do wonder though if Lindros would have been better if he remained healthy, given he was more dominant offensively out of gate.

I honestly wonder if Lindros would have been better if he had gotten to grow with that Nordiques core. He had to really lift the Flyers on his shoulders it felt like.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
lol - he may not even be a top 5 player for his decade, let alone all time

When healthy, Lindros was challenging Jagr for best offensive player in the league (sans Mario) although Jagr took it up a slight higher notch at his peak.

Add in the obvious physicality he brought and, IMO, was arguably the best player (or soon to be crowned) after Mario's retirement in "97. Injuries kept him from taking that title.

Forsberg looked to be on that same level offensively from '02 to '04 but similarly could not take the best player title.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
People are going to talk about how physical Lindros was and just conveniently forget that Foppa is basically the forefather of the reverse check.

They're effectively equal with slightly different MOs.

Reactions: Kurtz and Voight

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
When healthy, Lindros was challenging Jagr for best offensive player in the league (sans Mario) although Jagr took it up a slight higher notch at his peak.

Add in the obvious physicality he brought and, IMO, was arguably the best player (or soon to be crowned) after Mario's retirement in "97. Injuries kept him from taking that title.

Forsberg looked to be on that same level offensively from '02 to '04 but similarly could not take the best player title.

In the 90s you have Lemieux, Jagr, Hasek, Gretzky who all peaked at a higher level than Lindros. I'd probably have Lindros 5th - but guys like Forsberg, Sakic and a few others are in that vicinity too.

I'm not trying to disparage Lindros - he was great, especially at his best - but top 5 all time is such a ridiculous overstatement.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Lindros was the better hockey player.

I can only imagine what kind of juggernaut the Nordiques would have been with Sakic, Sundin, Nolan, and Lindros in the lineup. Not to mention the other good players that would have joined that team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I honestly wonder if Lindros would have been better if he had gotten to grow with that Nordiques core. He had to really lift the Flyers on his shoulders it felt like.

He'd of been more sheltered as well as getting get the #2 minutes behind Sakic. So he may score more in a Malkin-esque way (competition will be focused on Sakics line) but does not get the premium ice time to rack up the points.

Now Forsberg still had some great seasons behind Sakic,. but a couple of those were when he (Sakic) was hurt. So maybe in this fantasy scenario the same thing happens w/ Lindros.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Lindros.. both of these guys had their careers suffer because of injuries but Lindros was a bit of a once in a lifetime combination of brawn and skill.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Forsberg had better awareness and more nuances to his game, and thus could adapt better to different/various situations which made him more valuable in the bigger picture.

He'd of been more sheltered as well as getting get the #2 minutes behind Sakic. So he may score more in a Malkin-esque way (competition will be focused on Sakics line) but does not get the premium ice time to rack up the points.

Now Forsberg still had some great seasons behind Sakic,. but a couple of those were when he (Sakic) was hurt. So maybe in this fantasy scenario the same thing happens w/ Lindros.

You're overrating Sakic retroactively. Lindros was on a best-on-best Canadian national team before Sakic, the 1991 Canada Cup. He would have slotted in in front of Sakic on the Nordiques solely based on hype. You're also overrating Sakic in relation to Forsberg. Forsberg wasn't a 2C behind Sakic except for perhaps one or two seasons early on. Forsberg around the turn of the century was the best allround C in the game and his aura alone scared opponent teams to death, I say that as a fan of a team in the same division as Forsberg for most of the late 90s/early 00s.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Eric Lindros was the better hockey player overall, but Peter Forsberg had more of a higher end technical, finesse skillset. The way Forsberg could hold the puck is still next generation 25 years later.

Reactions: Voight

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Forsberg had better numbers in the regular season and was a monster in the playoffs.

Regular season: 708 Games - 885 points
Playoffs: 151 game - 171 points

I’ll take Foppa all day, everyday.

Lindros was a force of nature, but Forsberg was a physical beast too and had a super versatile offensive game.

Anyone saying it’s Lindros easily doesn’t have near enough respect for what Forsberg did.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Lindros, top 5 player of all time when healthy.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and Orr are top four in no particular order. That cannot be argued.

What is your argument for Lindros over the likes of Bobby Hull, Hasek, or even say ..Jagr? I haven't even gotten to Richard, Beliveau, Harvey, Ovi, or Crosby.

Last edited:

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, and Orr are top four in no particular order. That cannot be argued.

What is your argument for Lindros over the likes of Bobby Hull, Hasek, or even say ..Jagr? I haven't even gotten to Richard, Beliveau, Harvey, Ovi, or Crosby.
top 5 forward* and i think Howe is highly overrated. Healthy Lindros is only clearly behind Mario and Wayne. He was the most dominant thing hockey has ever seen.

Bobby Hull???

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You're overrating Sakic retroactively. Lindros was on a best-on-best Canadian national team before Sakic, the 1991 Canada Cup. He would have slotted in in front of Sakic on the Nordiques solely based on hype. You're also overrating Sakic in relation to Forsberg. Forsberg wasn't a 2C behind Sakic except for perhaps one or two seasons early on. Forsberg around the turn of the century was the best allround C in the game and his aura alone scared opponent teams to death, I say that as a fan of a team in the same division as Forsberg for most of the late 90s/early 00s.

Likewise he made the 1991 more or less based on hype..... (similar to how Laettner made the 92 Dream team).

Sakic had been top 10 in scoring twice before Lindros stepped foot on the ice and had scored 100 points twice already (would have been 3 times had he not missed some time in 92). Even with the hype, I cannot see him starting in the top line role with a guy like Sakic already there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad