Better GM - Bergevin or Bowman

Bergevin or Bowman

• Total voters

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
There have been plenty of flukey cinderella runs in the playoffs, mostly on the back of PDO binges.

In the last 10 years or so alone we've seen:

Ottawa in 2017
Phoenix in 2012
Montreal in 2010

You could even make arguments for Dallas in 2020 and Vegas in 2018, as both significantly over-performed on the basis of unsustainable goaltending and shooting percentage before house of cards fell.

Before that you had the likes of Washington going to the Final in 1998, and many many more before that.

It's kind of hilarious to suggest Bergevin is a genius for taking a team that finished 24th in the league, turned it into a team that finished 18th in the league, fired the coach midway through the season cause the team was struggling so bad, the team only makes the playoffs cause Calgary is somehow even worse and Vancouver gets the plague, and then each round of the playoffs their opponent loses a top 6 center. That's some 5D chess right there if you want to pretend this path was the plan all along. :laugh:

Forgot LA's 2012 Cinderella run.:sarcasm:

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Brad Aldrich debacle makes this Bergevin by a mile. Bowman didn't really add any core pieces to the Hawks and the only elite player he that brought in he traded away for Brandon Saad.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Brad Aldrich debacle makes this Bergevin by a mile. Bowman didn't really add any core pieces to the Hawks and the only elite player he that brought in he traded away for Brandon Saad.

That has nothing to do with the teams actual performance, so I disagree. We aren't debating who the better person is. & Bergevin as a higher up with the Hawks at the time.....

Bowman actually made some real good moves. We had constant cap issues and he was still able to produce two more cups, sure the core pieces were already there but he added key depth ones like Handzus, Oduya, Rozsival, Richards and made some really good late picks like Shaw & Saad.

Now, giving Bickell 16 million was a disaster and cost us TT but you aren't going to be perfect.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The Brad Aldrich debacle makes this Bergevin by a mile.
If anything, Bergevin was more at fault for it.
Bergevin was the Director of Player Personnel and he just lied he didn't know about his players getting harrassed.

So either he is superbly incompetent, or a liar. Everybody in the organisation knew. Players, coaches, trainers...

Reactions: Crow

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Cant believe twig bowman is winning this

Unreal
There was literally a poll on the Habs board where 50% of Habs fans wanted to lose to Toronto to have Ducharme/Bergevin fired rather than win. It's pretty bold for Habs fans to turn around en masse and act like they suddenly love him as a GM.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Is this a joke?

Bowman has his name on the Cup three times as a GM.
Bergevin has his name on the Cup once, while serving as director of player personnel under Bowman in 2010.

And he's won nothing since (10 years.)

Reactions: jetsforever

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I have been really hard on Bergevin in the last few years. I said multiple time I would like to replace him, because he was only average, or even slightly bellow average. But now, I have to admit I was most definitly wrong. Building a team is so much more than ''you just have to tank, draft some stars, then get any goalie for cheap, that will do the job''. He was able to build a team that plays way better than the sum of it's part. He was also able to look at what he had under his hand, and to build a team with what he had, instead of just hoping to get a franchise player via the lottery.

And, most importantly, since I watch hockey, it looks like habs always have a great RS team that does not perform in the PO. He was able to build a team that would be able to perform when it matters the most. Is it sustainable? I honestly don't know. Let's hope he will continue his good work and that next year edition of the team will be even better.

Let's not be victims of the moment. As Montreal fans, we've been thinking Bergevin is a bad GM for years. Now that we have one good playoff run, he's suddenly a good GM? I don't think so. Unfortunately for us, he's probably bought himself a few more years at the helm with this playoff run.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Let's not be victims of the moment. As Montreal fans, we've been thinking Bergevin is a bad GM for years. Now that we have one good playoff run, he's suddenly a good GM? I don't think so. Unfortunately for us, he's probably bought himself a few more years at the helm with this playoff run.
The Kevin Lowe special. Get ready for a bunch of very stupid “win now” moves while Bergevin tells the media how close they are and the team tailspins in Price’s twilight years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->