TV: Better Call Saul - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Could be the point where the audience completely turns on Saul - similar to Walt.

I go back and forth with that too, but I ALWAYS liked Saul in BB. So maybe he is going to do something to make Kim leave but he feels bad and goes back to lovable sleezy and not this "All about me" Jimmy we are seeing, God I love this show. The way it makes me analyze everything.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jimmy's changing his name for a variety of reasons but I think a small one would be that its hard to use the McGill name. No matter how well he did, he'd always be under of the thumb of his older brother and anyone involved with law in that area would always just say "oh thats Charles' little bother... yea whatever"

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I just binged the first two seasons over the last month or so. Absolutely agree that the pace is too slow yet I am pretty interested in the development.

One thing this series really shows is the quality of actors and characters that Breaking Bad had. All these guys who were secondary characters in BB are really well done and executed in BCS.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I honestly thought Jimmy was being sincere in the final scene. They showed him breaking down in his car right before that, and I honestly thought he was speaking from the heart.

Kim definitely was as surprised as me. I think that was her final wake up call with him.

Also, Jimmy isn’t a psychopath. They lack guilt and empathy, and almost always display violent behavior.

Jimmy certainly isn’t a a violent individual and he’s shown on plenty of occasions he feels guilt for his actions.

He’s just a pathological liar with a poor moral compass that is usually pointing the wrong way, IMHO.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I honestly thought Jimmy was being sincere in the final scene. They showed him breaking down in his car right before that, and I honestly thought he was speaking from the heart.

Kim definitely was as surprised as me. I think that was her final wake up call with him.

Also, Jimmy isn’t a psychopath. They lack guilt and empathy, and almost always display violent behavior.

Jimmy certainly isn’t a a violent individual and he’s shown on plenty of occasions he feels guilt for his actions.

He’s just a pathological liar with a poor moral compass that is usually pointing the wrong way, IMHO.

That he is developing a Borderline Anti-Social Personality Disorder could be argued. He definitely had a conduct disorder as a child.

ASPD:

• Glibness and Superficial Charm

• Manipulative and Conning
    They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Profile of the Sociopath

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That he is developing a Borderline Anti-Social Personality Disorder could be argued. He definitely had a conduct disorder as a child.

ASPD:

• Glibness and Superficial Charm

• Manipulative and Conning
    They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Profile of the Sociopath

I think he definitely has shown the capacity to love and feels guilt and remorse.

There are people who have done a lot worse than him that aren’t psychopaths.

Being a con man and a liar doesn’t necessarily make you a psychopath.

I think if you want to identify a ASPD on the show, it’s Gus. Whether we are talking about a psychopath or a sociopath, key traits are usually the inability to feel remorse and being prone to violence. Jimmy definitely doesn’t fit that criteria IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I think he definitely has shown the capacity to love and feels guilt and remorse.

There are people who have done a lot worse than him that aren’t psychopaths.

Being a con man and a liar doesn’t necessarily make you a psychopath.

I think if you want to identify a ASPD on the show, it’s Gus. Whether we are talking about a psychopath or a sociopath, key traits are usually the inability to feel remorse and being prone to violence. Jimmy definitely doesn’t fit that criteria IMHO.

ASPD is not a psychopath.

That is why I say developing as he is still borderline.

The only one he has shown any affection for, or has not shown violent tendencies toward, is Kim. Even her relationship is more about who she is and what she gives him as was evident by when she did not do what Jimmy wanted he pulled away to hurt her.

Not all ASPD's are overtly abusive toward their spouses.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Psychopaths aren't always violent. The ones who get caught and diagnosed are by definition the bottom of the class. There's an entire business class of our society that lauds and richly rewards the traits of a psychopath. That's what Jimmy is getting into. I mean, he gave his speech to the little girl to forgive himself for what he's about to do. "No one's going to give me a chance, they're all against me, I have no choice but to go against the rules, boo hoo hoo..." That's all that was.

Jimmy broke down because of what was done to him. His needs. His career. His future.

It's funny, looking back at this thread how so many people considered Chuck the bad guy for blocking Jimmy to get hired by HHM, but what did Jimmy do to f*** over Chuck? He lied, fabricated evidence, tried to coerce a witness to it, continued to gaslight Chuck all to call his judgement into question for a fraud Jimmy committed as an officer of the court. And then Chuck killed himself. For which Jimmy clearly feels nothing.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
out of the new seasons of Westworld, Ozark and BCS the only one I've made time for was BCS. Quit the others 1 episode in

only halfway through this season but I hope there's a next season

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
ASPD is not a psychopath.

That is why I say developing as he is still borderline.

The only one he has shown any affection for, or has not shown violent tendencies toward, is Kim. Even her relationship is more about who she is and what she gives him as was evident by when she did not do what Jimmy wanted he pulled away to hurt her.

Not all ASPD's are overtly abusive toward their spouses.

Psychopaths aren't always violent. The ones who get caught and diagnosed are by definition the bottom of the class. There's an entire business class of our society that lauds and richly rewards the traits of a psychopath. That's what Jimmy is getting into. I mean, he gave his speech to the little girl to forgive himself for what he's about to do. "No one's going to give me a chance, they're all against me, I have no choice but to go against the rules, boo hoo hoo..." That's all that was.

Jimmy broke down because of what was done to him. His needs. His career. His future.

It's funny, looking back at this thread how so many people considered Chuck the bad guy for blocking Jimmy to get hired by HHM, but what did Jimmy do to **** over Chuck? He lied, fabricated evidence, tried to coerce a witness to it, continued to gaslight Chuck all to call his judgement into question for a fraud Jimmy committed as an officer of the court. And then Chuck killed himself. For which Jimmy clearly feels nothing.

Jimmy was taking care of Chuck when he got “sick” and seemed to genuinely care for him.

He also went way out of his way to help Huel stay out of jail.

He felt guilty about getting that old lady in trouble at the nursing home and went back and got himself in trouble so her friends would stop shunning her.

He screwed over Chuck trying to help Kim, and while it was a really bad decision, he believed he was doing it to help her.

Everything I’ve been told about psychopaths from people who are experts, is that they have zero empathy and see other people as objects. They have zero remorse for their actions.

Jimmy has definitely shown empathy and remorse many times. So just not sure how he would be labeled a psychopath. The writers have kind of gone out of their way to show us Jimmy is a conflicted guy about his devious actions.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
out of the new seasons of Westworld, Ozark and BCS the only one I've made time for was BCS. Quit the others 1 episode in

only halfway through this season but I hope there's a next season

Ozark was ok season 2. Not really that exciting.

Westworld had HUGE potential. It became a mess of not knowing what the hell is going on. Just not enjoyable to watch

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Was a slow season but the last 2 episodes were phenomenal and set up season 5 to have more action.

The acting, writing and cinematography are fantastic. The shot of Mike killing Werner was beautiful, in a twisted way.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
What should a newbie do? First watch BB and then Better call Saul? Or first BCS and then BB?

I'd have to say BB then BCS. Without "knowing what we know", the gravity of most everything which happens in BCS isn't there.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
You're not comparing apples and oranges, your doing apples and prime rib. Comparing a show hardly mentioned to a global phenom, sure that'll work.

It's all subjective on what appeals to that person. Doesn't matter how popular it is... I hate TWD but it's more popular than most of the shows I watch. I can argue the quality of many of the shows I watch is better than TWD

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It's all subjective on what appeals to that person. Doesn't matter how popular it is... I hate TWD but it's more popular than most of the shows I watch. I can argue the quality of many of the shows I watch is better than TWD
100% agree with you. Zombies can all die. Wait, they can't, or can they? Personal tastes are non-negotiable, but between you and me, GoT is in another league compared to BCS. It's a good spin-off, that's all it is. But that's justme.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
100% agree with you. Zombies can all die. Wait, they can't, or can they? Personal tastes are non-negotiable, but between you and me, GoT is in another league compared to BCS. It's a good spin-off, that's all it is. But that's justme.

GOT is the most enjoyable series I have ever watched, but I’ve always loved that type of genre since I was little.

My wife isn’t in to that kind of stuff and she watches BCS with me and would probably prefer it to GOT. She’s never seen Star Wars or anything like that, and thinks it’s all silly.

However, she got into TWD with me around season two and never in a million year would I have thought she would enjoy a show like that. She just kind of sat down one day when I had it on and started asking me questions about what was going on and now she’s followed it every season since then.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
finished the show, I'm guessing season 5 will be the final one

GoT's peak is higher but BCS is consistent. GoT like TWD are supposed to succeed because they have a lot to work with. I would argue that TWD failed but then again it's probably the most popular show (undeserved). Meanwhile compared to the 2 BCS.. is a prequel and a drama that was not even conceived during Breaking Bad. That is impressive.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I'd have to say BB then BCS. Without "knowing what we know", the gravity of most everything which happens in BCS isn't there.
Nah...you don't have to watch BB to understand BCS. It definitely helps make some connections though

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Nah...you don't have to watch BB to understand BCS. It definitely helps make some connections though

I didn't say you *have* to, I said that having BB knowledge adds to BCS. This show is fine on its own, and I love it, but a lot of things are directly tied to it in a sense to make have a much more important point of being there.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
So if that prosecutor who was overseeing Huell's case would have had known, she would have known that Jimmy was faking being a baptist pastor when he was yelling at his non-existent assistant to put down those robes.

Baptists don't use robes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad