Better All-Time Roster: Montreal Canadiens Or Pittsburgh Penguins

Which franchise has the better all-time roster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In these polls, I'm including only players who spent at least two seasons with a franchise on their all-time rosters.

For relocated franchises, I am including worthy players who played for the franchises prior to relocation(s).

Consider how good a player was when he played for the franchise whose roster he's included on. For example: If Fedorov is part of Team Columbus, don't think of him as the 1994 version of the player.

Montreal Canadiens defeated Detroit Red Wings 51 votes to 31 (62.2%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Detroit Red Wings Or Montreal Canadiens? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com) and defeated Boston Bruins 67 votes to 5 (93.1%) in round two: Better All-Time Roster: Boston Bruins Or Montreal Canadiens

Pittsburgh Penguins defeated Edmonton Oilers 48 votes to 39 (55.2%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Edmonton Oilers Or Pittsburgh Penguins | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com) and defeated Colorado Avalanche 90 votes to 41 (68.7%) in round two: Better All-Time Roster: Colorado Avalanche Or Pittsburgh Penguins

Montreal Canadiens:

Toe Blake - Jean Beliveau - Maurice Richard
Dickie Moore - Howie Morenz - Guy Lafleur
Jacques Lemaire - Henri Richard - Bernie Geoffrion
Elmer Lach - Newsy Lalonde - Yvon Cournoyer

Larry Robinson - Guy Lapointe
Doug Harvey -Serge Savard
Sprague Cleghorn - Chris Chelios

Patrick Roy
Jacques Plante

Pittsburgh Penguins:

Kevin Stevens - Mario Lemieux - Jaromir Jagr
Evgeni Malkin - Sidney Crosby - Alex Kovalev
James Neal - Ron Francis - Rick Tocchet
Syl Apps Jr. - Petr Nedved - Mark Recchi

Paul Coffey - Larry Murphy
Randy Carlyle - Kris Letang
Sergei Gonchar - Ron Stackhouse

Tom Barrasso
Marc-Andre Fleury​

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I feel Montreal has the depth and D advantage but I went Penguins because Mario, Jagr, and Crosby

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Habs quite easily

Mario, Crosby, Jagr, Malkin vs Beliveau, Richard, Morenz, Lafleur is somewhat close

Habs forward depth >> Pens forward depth

Habs D >> Pens D

Roy and Plante >>> FLeury, Barrasso

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If this was starting top 5 lineup it would be close. Full roster - no contention it's Montreal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pittsburgh could try playing Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby and Malkin huge minutes to try to keep a small forward advantage in the majority of the game despite worse depth, but Montreal would still have a much bigger gap on defense and in net. They’re just too good and too deep.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Montreal.

This is one of the few times that you can make a case against them. But it's still Montreal.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure how you compare all time roster’s between two teams when one team has a significantly longer history & thus a much bigger pool of players to choose from. Seems very flawed IMO

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think the only reason it's at all close is because of recency bias. A lot of voters are too young to have seen many of the Habs in action, let alone at their peak, while the Pens are all fresh.

Not sure, beyond recency, why the second best defenceman of all time is on their second pairing, but it's still easily Montreal.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Not sure how you compare all time roster’s between two teams when one team has a significantly longer history & thus a much bigger pool of players to choose from. Seems very flawed IMO
Pens fan?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think the only reason it's at all close is because of recency bias. A lot of voters are too young to have seen many of the Habs in action, let alone at their peak, while the Pens are all fresh.

Not sure, beyond recency, why the second best defenceman of all time is on their second pairing, but it's still easily Montreal.

If our great great grandfathers were still alive this poll would be locked up already.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pens fan?

Nope, not even a little check my post history. Simply when one team has been around much longer they have a much bigger pool of players to choose from & so that’s a big advantage.

Truer test would be to limit the Habs selection since the Pens been around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plural
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad