Better All-Time Roster: Calgary Flames Or New Jersey Devils

Which franchise has the better all-time roster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In these polls, I'm including only players who spent at least two seasons with a franchise on their all-time rosters.
For relocated franchises, I am including worthy players who played for the franchises prior to relocation(s).

Consider how good a player was when he played for the franchise whose roster he's included on. For example: If Fedorov is part of Team Columbus, don't think of him as the 1994 version of the player.

Calgary Flames defeated Tampa Bay Lightning 48 votes to 43 (52.7%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Calgary Flames Or Tampa Bay Lightning? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com), defeated Buffalo Sabres 32 votes to 22 (59.3%) in round two: Better All-Time Roster: Buffalo Sabres Or Calgary Flames? and lost to Washington Capitals 18 votes to 14 (56.3%) in round three: Better All-Time Roster: Calgary Flames Or Washington Capitals

New Jersey Devils defeated Dallas Stars 49 votes to 12 (80.3%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Dallas Stars Or New Jersey Devils?, defeated Ottawa Senators 53 votes to 14 (79.1%) in round two: Better All-Time Roster: New Jersey Devils Or Ottawa Senators and lost to New York Rangers 20 votes to 12 (62.5%) in round three: Better All-Time Roster: New Jersey Devils Or New York Rangers

Calgary Flames:

Johnny Gaudreau - Kent Nilsson - Jarome Iginla
Hakan Loob - Joe Nieuwendyk - Lanny McDonald
Gary Roberts - Doug Gilmour - Theo Fleury
Sergei Makarov - Guy Chouinard - Joe Mullen

Gary Suter - Al MacInnis
Mark Giordano - Robyn Regehr
Paul Reinhart - Dougie Hamilton

Miikka Kiprusoff
Mike Vernon

New Jersey Devils:

Ilya Kovalchuk - Scott Gomez - Patrick Elias
Taylor Hall - Jason Arnott - Alexander Mogilny
Kirk Muller - Bobby Holik - Zach Parise
John MacLean - Patrik Sundstrom - Lanny McDonald

Scott Stevens - Brian Rafalski
Scott Niedermayer - Viacheslav Fetisov
Ken Daneyko - Bruce Driver

Martin Brodeur
Cory Schneider​

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Guy Chouinard and Makarov should be off the Flames and put in Lindholm and Tkachuk.

Also Calgary's defense needs Andersson or Tanev on the back end.

Fetisov shouldn't be on the dEvils back end as he wasn't that great as a Devil.

Either way this is the Flames.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The Devils D-core and goalies make it close but I think the Flames would just have such an advantage on forward it has to be them.

I don’t even think the Devils defense is better. MacInnis/Gio and Stevens/Niedermayer are close and the Flames have better depth. If you’re getting ‘04 Kipper, the goaltending is also pretty close.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Crazy how much of the Devils roster is from a single era. Flames, but I would bet the best single season Devils team is better than the single best season of the Flames.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Crazy how much of the Devils roster is from a single era. Flames, but I would bet the best single season Devils team is better than the single best season of the Flames.

I don’t know. That ‘89 Flames team was pretty awesome. 54 wins in an 80 game season, before 3v3 OT and the shootout. +128 goal differential. 16-5 in the playoffs.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
14 of the Devils top 20 all time scores are not on this team.

Some notable exclusions are Travis Zajac, Petr Sykora, Stephane Richer, Claude Lemieux, Aaron Broten, Pat Verbeek, John Madden, Brendan Shanahan, Brian Rolston and Brian Gionta
Also no Andy Greene, Paul Martin or Damon Severson
Chris Terreri won more games as a Devil than Cory Schneider and he did it in less games played but I'd still take Cory over him

Reactions: Conbon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad