Better AHL Playoffs: Foote vs Liljegren vs Vaakanainen

Which 1st round pick D will have the best points per game in round one of the AHL playoffs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
Who will be better in the 2019 AHL playoffs (as measured by points/game) between these three mid-1st round pick defencemen from the 2017 draft?

I find it hard to compare AHL regular seasons between the three, as Vaakainen had a small sample size due to world juniors/NHL/injuries, Liljegren recovered from and played through a bad injury, and only Foote played a full season. I expect these guys to be at their best after a week of rest heading into the playoffs on Friday.

Update after 4 AHL playoff games:

Player NameGPGAPtsPts/GP+/-
Timothy Liljegren40110.25+1
Urho Vaakanainen40000.00+1
Cal Foote40000.00-4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Since Foote and Vaakanainen have been eliminated after going scoreless in 4 games, Liljegren ends up ahead.

By most accounts all 3 of these guys have been given increased responsibilities and done well on the defensive side of the puck.

Last edited:

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Smart money's probably with Foote. He's got the easiest opponent on paper and is the only one here with home ice advantage. That said, tempted to go with Liljegren due to his talent.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I’ll pick Liljegren to win this, though I’m still not convinced he’s fully recovered from his two ankle sprains this year. If he gets his speed back up to 100% it’ll likely be him. Super close though.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Vaakanainen.
Liljegren has not showed much offensive ability at all in his 2 years as a Marlie. Don't know why people think that's about to change now.... remember he got benched a lot during the playoffs last season.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
From what I've seen...

Liljegren has been the best two-way D of the three in these playoffs. Vaakanainen has neither wowed me, nor made me regret my faith in him this year. A solid player who needs a little more confidence with the puck and quicker reactions when games tighten up for the playoffs. Foote, who I thought had a good regular season, could have had a better playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad