Celebrity Death: Beth Howland, Vera from Alice, 74

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Died from lung cancer on December 31, her husband just confirmed it to AP yesterday.

She earned 4 Golden Globe awards for her role as the airheaded waitress in the 70s and 80s. One of those shows I used to watch in syndication every afternoon even while it was still running. It never seems to be on anymore, but it was a good show. Wish they'd bring a lot more of these old sitcoms back to cable channels like TV Land and MeTV.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/beth-howland-dead-alice-vera-1201782963/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Died from lung cancer on December 31, her husband just confirmed it to AP yesterday.

She earned 4 Golden Globe awards for her role as the airheaded waitress in the 70s and 80s. One of those shows I used to watch in syndication every afternoon even while it was still running. It never seems to be on anymore, but it was a good show. Wish they'd bring a lot more of these old sitcoms back to cable channels like TV Land and MeTV.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/beth-howland-dead-alice-vera-1201782963/

grew up watching the show. Kiss my grits needed to be explained to me--but that is beside the point. I saw the show awhile ago and it is a bit dated and why it is not on in reruns that much can be found in Linda Lavin. After it went off the air Lavin went into a dry spell and it was because of how much it was in reruns in the 80's. By the time the show ended she either was executive producer or something and she had the ability to limit the availability of the show in reruns and she did. Nearly all the cast fell into a rut due to the perceived notion of type casting that many actors fall into after being on a popular show.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
I just find it wild she died 6 months ago

It was actually just under 5 months (Dec. 31 - May 25)...her will stipulated her husband not publicize it for 6 months, but he apparently trimmed that by 35 days.

Sounds reasonable on Linda Lavin, but she's been more active in recent years (after barely any roles between 1990-2009). I hope she'll change her mind on that soon.

Does Jane Curtain have the same power over Kate and Allie? What about Bruce Boxleitner or Kate Jackson for The Scarecrow and Mrs. King?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Alice was one of those shows that was really big, like One Day At A Time and people don't realize it now. It was on Sunday nights on CBS for at least part of it's run, which was the most watched night of TV in America for a long time.

I think the last time I saw Alice was on either TNN or E! in the late 90's.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I just find it wild she died 6 months ago

You should check out that story the NYTimes did of writing Donald W Duncan's obit 7 years after he died.

What I didn't know was she was married to Jim from Murphy Brown. I guess you could say, well kiss my grits on that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad