The Players' Tribune: "Beta" by Adam Oates

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Well if a lot of what he says here goes against what he did in Washington, it's possible that he has just learned from his mistakes. People evolve. Sometimes.

My thinking on this. Almost like a veiled apology.

He probably does know things about the game that the Mike Yeos of the world don't. And I fully agree with him on studying true excellence and not catering to mediocrity. That's how you dilute the game and limit its heights.

But it is weird how much his actual coaching history in WAS contradicts what he's saying here.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Truly a fascinating read. That being said, does anyone think that Oates will be better if he gets a 2nd chance to be a head coach in the NHL? It's funny reading the article and thinking that a lot of what he was preaching was the exact opposite of what he did while in DC.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Don't forget Ovi went from 32, and 38 goal seasons to 32 (in 48 games) and 51. So I would say he helped Ovechkin.

And this article is not about him being a HC but a skills coach. And I think he makes a terrific point about players needing positional/skills coaches. Why not? Look at the advancement in goaltending? Why not a coach for centres? Why not a coach for a goal scoring winger?

I like him talking about the skill needed to play on the 1/2 wall. To me, that's where you can see true skill, guys working the half wall on the PP. I love watching the little misdirection plays made by guys like Drouin, Galchenyuk, Crosby, Kane, etc where they draw a defender (or defenders) towards them and make a little saucer pass to someone wide open. It requires so much skill to make those little plays in tight but you can miss it if you're not paying close enough attention.

Great article.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
You know what's the best part about this? Since he was fired from his coaching job with the Caps, he is now a so-called "specialized skill coach". He's lobbying for himself.

I don't see anything wrong with this. He's gotten himself into a niche he believes to be important to the future of hockey's development. If it works out for him, all the best. If it doesn't take off, maybe he at least has a Gary Roberts type of thing going on where he stays busy with helping today's players on an individual level.

Is there something wrong with my browser or are people's quotes disappearing randomly for others as well? Edit~
e1f6c1bf24995f8990636e8fa2ea734a.png

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't see anything wrong with this. He's gotten himself into a niche he believes to be important to the future of hockey's development. If it works out for him, all the best. If it doesn't take off, maybe he at least has a Gary Roberts type of thing going on where he stays busy with helping today's players on an individual level.

Is there something wrong with my browser or are people's quotes disappearing randomly for others as well? Edit~
e1f6c1bf24995f8990636e8fa2ea734a.png

I never said it was wrong, but he is very subtle about it. If it works, good for him. Being a head coach of a team clearly isn't for him.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I think you're the only Bob Hartley fan left in Calgary. A few buddies I have that are Flames fans would happily tar and feather him if it got them a new coach.

Seems more like your buddies are in the minority. On Calgary's other site, he is still very much supported. All of my Flames' fan buddies here in Calgary all still think he is the right fit at least until someone unquestionably better (like a D. Sutter, Babcock or Quenneville) magically become available.

There are a few loud dissenting voices to be sure, but it seems to me he is still very much a popular coach among Flames fans.

Ogopogo*

Great stuff from Mr. Oates - the second greatest playmaker in NHL history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad