Best Young Goalie Trio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Interesting to see that our Blues' board resident adversaries are in agreement on this one...

The Blues, with Schwarz, Bacashihua and Barulin, are clearly deserving of mention in this poll. Sanford, Nissinen, and Beckford-Tseu are decent prospects as well.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Why is it no one ever considers Jason LaBarbera one of the NYR's prospects for goalie? Blackburn is an unknown because of his injury, Lundqvist hasn't played over here, and Montoya (as someone mentioned) has played well in one tournament and is unproven otherwise. Laberbara went out and set the AHL record for shutouts, was a 1rst team end of the season all star, won the Bastien award as best AHL goalie, and won the Cunningham award for MVP. Labarbera has faced North American talent, talent that will some day be in the NHL, and come away with some pretty impressive stats (1.60 GAA and .936 save %, that along with 13 shutouts and 32 wins). So why isn't Labarbera considered one the NYR's top goalie prospects?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Whawks33 said:
Why is it no one ever considers Jason LaBarbera one of the NYR's prospects for goalie? Blackburn is an unknown because of his injury, Lundqvist hasn't played over here, and Montoya (as someone mentioned) has played well in one tournament and is unproven otherwise. Laberbara went out and set the AHL record for shutouts, was a 1rst team end of the season all star, won the Bastien award as best AHL goalie, and won the Cunningham award for MVP. Labarbera has faced North American talent, talent that will some day be in the NHL, and come away with some pretty impressive stats (1.60 GAA and .936 save %, that along with 13 shutouts and 32 wins). So why isn't Labarbera considered one the NYR's top goalie prospects?

Because he's a career back up or AHL starter. He doesnt' have the speed or lateral movement to make it in the game as shown by his performance in the NHL this year.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Brian Weidler said:
Interesting to see that our Blues' board resident adversaries are in agreement on this one...

The Blues, with Schwarz, Bacashihua and Barulin, are clearly deserving of mention in this poll. Sanford, Nissinen, and Beckford-Tseu are decent prospects as well.

Agreed, thats a pretty good trio. I'm suprised that no one came up with that. But I do think that there was no reason to trade Belle for Bacashihua though.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Zherdev said:
Agreed, thats a pretty good trio. I'm suprised that no one came up with that. But I do think that there was no reason to trade Belle for Bacashihua though.
Sure there was. NOBODY thought that Schwarz would fall to us at 17 and we needed a goalie who was closer to the NHL than Barulin(since we were unable to bring him to America this season) and still had number 1 potential. IF we hadn't gotten Schwarz, Cash would be our top goalie prosect right now. With all the drawbacks on Belle we thought we would get an equal replacement with our top pick this year(probably Mike Green). We needed a goalie so we went and got one. It is very easy to follow that logic.

eaglesfan29

Jul 29, 2004
Cape Breton, NS
Kritty said:
I don't see how anyone can take someone besides Buffalo here. 3 young goalies not even in their prime yet who could all be starting for a team in the NHL very shortly compared to team's with "potential" goalies. There's that word that gets used way too often around here. There is no way you can compare any other teams young goalies to the Sabres.

Pittsburgh - Fleury is unproven and was worn out by NHL shooters last year. Caron is a backup in my books, he was only all rookie goalie because there was no one else. Chiodo has proven diddly. He hasn't even proven he can handle being a #1 in the AHL yet.

Atlanta - Lehtonen is the real deal, but after that, I don't see much. Hurme is overrated in my books and isn't even young anymore. Nurminen is a 2nd tier starter and is also not that young anymore. After that, there is little.

Rangers - Montoya is totally unproven outside of 1 tournament that seems to have everyone pegging him as a franchise goalie now which I don't understand. Blackburn has taken a step back and Lundqvist has never played a game of north american pro hockey.

I just don't see how any comparisons can be made.

I know that was a couple pages ago but I have to disagree about what was said about the Penguins' goalies. First off, Fleury has proven something, but very little in the NHL at this point. We will see how he does later on. But what he has proven is that he is capable of playing at the NHL level, and at a very young age. He was just a little too young at 18 to handle a whole season by himself, especially with a team like the Pittsburgh Penguins. Trust me, I have seen this guy play, he will prove himself one of these days.

What I do agree with you is about Caron. He picked up his game near the end of the season, just like the rest of the team. But I don't know if he is capable of being a #1 Goalie for the Pens right now. He seemed to go downhill when he was in Wilkes-Barre for the playoffs.

And lastly, I disagree with you about Chiodo. He has proved he is a #1 Goalie in the AHL. Did you pay attention to the Baby Pens playoffs? He is definitely capable of taking care of #1 spot. Remember, he did break the Pens huge loosing streak. He will probably be in Pittburgh this season, if there is one.

capman29

bruins8152 said:
lol are u serious?!?!? Of all them only one will be a #1. And thats Ouellet. But thats not even a 100% You need to get ur facts straight and stop gettting caught up in the scouting reports you read, cuase you are obviously misinformed if u feel that at least 3 of those goaltenders will be #1's. I say Ouellet has a chance and thats all
:teach:

Did not say they would be #1 in washington did I ???? At least three will be traded to fill other need and the remaining will fight it out in washington . So quick you are to be a smart a $$ insted of using you head for something other than resting your hat on . :yo:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
this might as well be a "call your teams goalie prospects the best in the NHL" thread :shakehead

as for the original question...buffalo definatly gets the nod at this point cuz all three of their goalies have played in the NHL and look to be at least decent (i'm not really sold on biron as being a great goalie consistantly...)

but it's not a great comparison...the rangers have 3 good prospects that aren't as developed as a whole than buffalos prospects.

montoya is a real good prospect...not the most extremely talented guy but he still has a lot of talent and a "big game" mentality...one reason the rangers liked him so much, he seems to have NY written all over him. (hello next mike richter?) and that could set him apart from other goalie prospects...you can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the head for the game it doesn't do you any good.

blackburn is still a good prospect though he's obviously had issues...honestly he looked about like fleury did in the NHL when you compare their play as 18 year olds. he did great in some games, bad in others, showed some issues he has to work on...the usual. needs time in the AHL desperatly now and his shoulder injury last year didn't help, but he's still got a lot of skill and again he's another goalie who is/was said to have a "big game" mentality...hard to rattle, keeps his focus...etc

lundqivst...probably the best young goalie in sweden and one of the best in europe...after his world championship performance he was ranked by one place as the best swedish prospect, including forwards and defensemen. also keep in mind he stoned a lot of NHL caliber players in that tournament in breakaways and such...very good showing despite the teamwide collapse against canada in the championship game. not bad for a late round pick...

dunno if these guys are the best young goalie prospect group overall but they do have a ton of potential and i think at least one is likely to be a great NHL #1 in the future

capman29

And all of buffalo and rangers goalies are second teir only. Any of washingtons first three are way better than anything buffalo or the rangers have . You will see that soon so hold onto you seats .

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Kritty said:
Oh ya, I know absolutely nothing at all. I like to just shoot from the hip all the time. It gets a rise out of people like you.

1) What has Chiodo proven aside from one playoff run? Exactly. Nothing at all. He could very well fall right back down to earth and disappear like many a goalie has, or he could continue to develop as he has. My point was that he hasn't proven a single thing to me. One playoff run doesn't cement his place as a top notch goalie.

2) Every account I've heard is that Bernier is still not in proper playing shape. He's better than he was but still has some ways to go.

Some of your statments are very stupid

First of all

What has Mikka K proven aside from a good playoff run?

Aside from the fact that he had the worst save pct in the league the year before nothing!!

You coments on Bernier are way too pre mature
He will be at mini camp on tuesday when it is open to public and I will see him first hand

I think your coments on Toskala are way off. Vesa Toskala is a starting Goelie in the NHL. Infact he is the main reasone the Sharks had a great year this year. Early in the year Nabby went down w/a injury and missed 10 games. It was then that they took off and never looked back.

infinitesadd

May 15, 2004
Pittsburgh
capman29 said:
And all of buffalo and rangers goalies are second teir only. Any of washingtons first three are way better than anything buffalo or the rangers have . You will see that soon so hold onto you seats .

Wow. That is a great homer statement. So all of washington's goalies are better than Biron? A guy who has done a decent job as a starter? How many years has Ouellet been starting? Maybe you should wait until we all see Ouellet for a full season before saying what you just said.

X-SHARKIE

Kritty, Sorry man but your being a hipocrit sp?

Well first, I never said you don't know anything at all, in fact I like reading your stuff, just that day you made two comments that irked me.

You can say Steve is lazy on some nights in the Q, but he isn't fat or out of game shape.

You're saying Chiodo hasn't proved anything but a playoff run and a great year in the AHL. You have a point, but you also are going back on your coments for Ryan Miller then.

If your basically only going to by the #'s and the players stats, then yes it looks like Miller is a more proven player. But it all comes down to wins, and when Chiodo shown he can steal game after game, and cary a team on his back threw the playoffs in the AHL, witch is arguably the 2nd best hockey in the world, that has to say somthing, He showed me alot and he proved me alot.

By no means is this a shot at Ryan Miller who should be better then Chiodo, but in your terms, saying Chiodo hasn't shown anything yet saying Miller has, makes little sense.

Sorry you took my first post the wrong way, since I Can see why it was easy to, I dont want to make this a personal thing, I just think you need to seriosly look at how hard a playoff run is, especially on a starting goalie, and realize Chido has acomplished ALOT!

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
Sharks goaltending coach ---> Warren Strelow aka "The Goalie Guru"

From an MSNBC article:

"Strelow coaches Evgeni Nabokov and Vesa Toskala and coached Miikka Kiprusoff, Johan Hedberg and Sean Burke. Robert Esche attended one of Strelow's camps. Strelow coached Craig Billington, who now coaches David Aebischer, and he coached Roland Melanson, who now coaches Jose Theodore. Even Martin Brodeur -- Strelow was the Devils' goalie coach in Brodeur's first season in the AHL."

"Warren is a unique guy in the sense that he's got a feel for goalies and their emotional state and can do a lot along those lines," the late coach Herb Brooks said before the 2002 Olympics, Strelow's second Games with Brooks.

Yes, second. Strelow coached some guy named Jim Craig -- did pretty well, too -- in 1980 in Lake Placid.

Point is...IMO, the SJ system works quite well - & therefore, I'd give much credit to future Team Teal netminders - because they were chosen for having that certain something, which Strelow likes & can work with to develop a successful NHL caliber goaltender....note:

1995 draft:
4th round, pick 90 - Vesa Toskala, Ilves Jrs (Finalnd) G
5th round, pick 116 - Miikka Kiprusoff, TPS Jrs (Finland) G

1994 draft:
9th round, pick 219 - Evgeni Nabokov, Torpedo UST Kamenogorsk (CIS) G

Strelow's current crop of youngsters - not including the 2004 draft:

1. 2000 draft:
5th round, pick 166 - Nolan Schaefer, Providence College (Hockey East) G

2. 2001 draft:
4th round, pick 107 - Dimitri Patzold, Erding (German Jr) G

3. 2003 draft:
5th round, pick 139 - Patrick Ehelechner, Hannover (GER) G

little a from da bx

Jun 18, 2004
pittengineer said:
Pens Organization:

Notables:

Fleury -- (#1 overall pick in 03', without a doubt one of the top two goalie prospects in the nhl)

Caron -- (former Memorial Cup winner, voted best goalie in tournament, NHL all-rookie team at goalie)

Chiodo -- (Former OHL all-star, played exceptionally in the AHL this past season/post-season)

Geopfert -- (Player of the Year, Goalie of the Year, and All-Rookie team in the USHL, starter at providence)

Brown -- (CCHA All-Rookie Team, At Notre Dame)

Crawford-West -- (21-8-3 in his first year in the CCHA)

Duba -- (2-time Under-20 World Championship goalie)
im very high on caron for some reason, if though nyr got some prospects in golal wouldnt mind them getting caron, think he will be a great # 1 some day

capman29

infinitesadd said:
Wow. That is a great homer statement. So all of washington's goalies are better than Biron? A guy who has done a decent job as a starter? How many years has Ouellet been starting? Maybe you should wait until we all see Ouellet for a full season before saying what you just said.

No a homer statement at all just the correct evaluation of talent. Biron just as you stated has JUST DONE A DECENT job as starter and that is his problem. He will forever be a decent starter ( otherwise known as a backup ) and cannot lead his team anywhere. Do not have to see a ful season just like Idinot have to se wayne to know what a special player he was going to be . Talent speak you just have to listen . So open your ears and the words wil fill you mind .

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
capman29 said:

wow...I know it's best not to respond to rediculus bating like this, but wow.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->