Best Young Goalie Trio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This one shouldn't even be close. Every one of Buffalo's goalies has played at the NHL level with varying degrees of success. All have also been very successful at the AHL level. I'll take pro success over potential. Plus the fact that the Rangers have an awful track record of developing young players. I've never been big on Montoya and Blackburn looks to be in limbo right now. Lundqvist I like but until he comes over and shows he can play the NA game, I'm not sold. Buffalo in a heartbeat.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
other: penguins' trio of fleury, chiodo, caron. homer pick, but i think all three can end up being good goalies in the nhl, with fleury and chiodo being very good.

thestonedkoala

Other:

Lehtonen, Nurminen, Hurme (if he returns), and Garnett

SwOOsh*

Washington's isn't bad but I wouldn't say the best

Oulette, Stana, Daigneault

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
definately. Sigalet is a much better goalie than Kaltainen. Mike Brown could suprise but right now the Bruins IMO HAVE the top goaltending youngsters in the game. Raycroft- a proven NHLer who is a Top starter at age 24 and can only get better. Toivonen- a World class goalie potential and possibly franchise goalie. Sigalet who has suprised everyone is looking more and more like a future starter. Not to many teams can compete with that

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Pens Organization:

Notables:

Fleury -- (#1 overall pick in 03', without a doubt one of the top two goalie prospects in the nhl)

Caron -- (former Memorial Cup winner, voted best goalie in tournament, NHL all-rookie team at goalie)

Chiodo -- (Former OHL all-star, played exceptionally in the AHL this past season/post-season)

Geopfert -- (Player of the Year, Goalie of the Year, and All-Rookie team in the USHL, starter at providence)

Brown -- (CCHA All-Rookie Team, At Notre Dame)

Crawford-West -- (21-8-3 in his first year in the CCHA)

Duba -- (2-time Under-20 World Championship goalie)

Last edited:

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't see how anyone can take someone besides Buffalo here. 3 young goalies not even in their prime yet who could all be starting for a team in the NHL very shortly compared to team's with "potential" goalies. There's that word that gets used way too often around here. There is no way you can compare any other teams young goalies to the Sabres.

Pittsburgh - Fleury is unproven and was worn out by NHL shooters last year. Caron is a backup in my books, he was only all rookie goalie because there was no one else. Chiodo has proven diddly. He hasn't even proven he can handle being a #1 in the AHL yet.

Atlanta - Lehtonen is the real deal, but after that, I don't see much. Hurme is overrated in my books and isn't even young anymore. Nurminen is a 2nd tier starter and is also not that young anymore. After that, there is little.

Rangers - Montoya is totally unproven outside of 1 tournament that seems to have everyone pegging him as a franchise goalie now which I don't understand. Blackburn has taken a step back and Lundqvist has never played a game of north american pro hockey.

I just don't see how any comparisons can be made.

guitaraholic*

eddy said:
NYR,Buffalo's,atlanta's and Pen's are all very good, close but i personnly like NYR's the best.

With the question marks surrounding Blackburn's health and ability to continue to develop despite obviously being rushed to the NHL, if you base your reasoning for the Rags having among the best goaltending prospects on the presence of guys like Montoya then you pretty much have to include a team like the St.Louis Blues who have Lalime to hold down the fort while any of Scharz, Barulin, Nissinen, Bacashua or Sanford develop. As for sheer depth and potential the Blues have as much goaltending prospects as *any* team in the NHL. They're all very young prospects though and none except Sanford have even come close to the NHL. Still, neither has Montoya and you use him to justify the Rangers inclusion.
Other teams on my list would be: Pens, Buffalo, Boston, Dallas and Washington. Lots of legit upper tier goalie prospects floating around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Kritty said:
Plus the fact that the Rangers have an awful track record of developing young players.

Right now: Buffalo.

Btw, Rangers have a nice track record in deleloping goalies: Vanbiesbrouck, Richter, Cloutier, Blackburn... More to follow! :)

guitaraholic*

Franz said:
Right now: Buffalo.

Btw, Rangers have a nice track record in deleloping goalies: Vanbiesbrouck, Richter, Cloutier, Blackburn... More to follow! :)

it's been so long ago that Beezer and Richter were 'developed' by the Rangers that it might as well be a different organization altogether. Also you'll get some debate as to whether or not Cloutier was 'developed' by the Rangers. Finally Blackburn remains a huge question mark and was hardly "developed" by the Rangers at all. Matter of fact their complete and total lack of developing him is coming back to haunt them. So, no, I don't think it's safe to say the Rangers have/can "develop" goalies.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
Biron is overrated. Norronen and Miller are Buffalo's future.

My pick is San Jose:
Nabokov, Toskala, Ehelechner

NHL Starter for anyteam: Nabokov, Toskala
Upcoming NHL Starters: Ehelechner, Pätzold, Churchill
Sleepers: Schaefer, Greiss, Derek MacIntyre, Brian Mahoney-Wilson

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
dumpnchase said:
Biron is overrated. Norronen and Miller are Buffalo's future.

My pick is San Jose:
Nabokov, Toskala, Ehelechner

NHL Starter for anyteam: Nabokov, Toskala
Upcoming NHL Starters: Ehelechner, Pätzold, Churchill
Sleepers: Schaefer, Greiss, Derek MacIntyre, Brian Mahoney-Wilson

Toskala could be an NHL starter for any team? You have to be kidding. There are maybe a handful of teams that he could start for. He's a solid goalie but has to do alot more before a comment like that can be true.

You seem awful high on alot of these Sharks goalies that don't seem to be that great of prospects to be. Ehelechner and Patzold have to do alot of growing before they're NHL starter material. Good potential but nothing proven yet. Who is this Churchill? I've never even heard of the guy. As for the sleepers, they are just that, sleepers. I would be quite surprised if any panned out to be anything more than backups.

Bure9*

Kritty said:
Rangers - Montoya is totally unproven outside of 1 tournament that seems to have everyone pegging him as a franchise goalie now which I don't understand. Blackburn has taken a step back and Lundqvist has never played a game of north american pro hockey.

I guess you've never seen him play for Michigan :banghead:

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
Kritty said:
Toskala could be an NHL starter for any team? You have to be kidding. There are maybe a handful of teams that he could start for. He's a solid goalie but has to do alot more before a comment like that can be true.

You seem awful high on alot of these Sharks goalies that don't seem to be that great of prospects to be. Ehelechner and Patzold have to do alot of growing before they're NHL starter material. Good potential but nothing proven yet. Who is this Churchill? I've never even heard of the guy. As for the sleepers, they are just that, sleepers. I would be quite surprised if any panned out to be anything more than backups.

Toskala is the best goalie that has come through the Sharks, better than Kipper and Nabokov. Nabokov has an edge over him only because Toskala doesn't have as much NHL experince as Nabokov otherwise Toskala would be playing.

Ehelechner and Patzold both are highly touted prospects by Strelow and Thomas, both have carried their respective teams farther than they deserved to go and that is one of the most important signs of a good goalie. Plus they are technically sound just need to work on a few things.

Chruchill was picked up this year and supposed to be the type of goalie who will get to the NHL if you just let me refine his game. He was considered one of the better goalies in this years draft.

The sleepers were just that sleepers I just put them in the list so people would notice them and pay attention to some of these guys.

A lot of Sharks prospect are underrated because they aren't popular picks almost all these guys are playing for unknown teams so people just assume that they aren't any good. Why was Kipper a highly touted from within the org while everyone considered him a Euro league guy at best? Why was Morris a surprise pick? Because the Sharks scouts do their homework and pick players by what they should be able to provide and not by what the most popular rankings service recommends.

I am not saying that the Sharks prospects are perfect or the scouting staff is perfect, just that they are underrated because of which people don't view Sharks prospects the same as other more popular choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad