Jacob Trouba
Seth Jones
Hampus Lindholm

The rest

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Slavin/Jones (elite top-tier)
Trouba (close to top)
Parayko/Werenski (tier with potential to join top)
Lindholm/Ristolainen/Ekblad/Klefbom (solid top-pair)
Rielly/Klingberg (just below to group above)

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Jones
Slavin
Lindholm
Werenski
Provorov (not listed)
Hanifin (not listed) this is potential, he belongs here
Rielly
Klefbom
Trouba
Ristolainen
Parayko
Larsson (not listed)
Hamilton (not listed)
Ekblad
Klingberg

and I didn't even put in any rookies

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Potential is different from current ability in a few cases. I think Risto is the worst currently by a large margin but still has very good potential.

Werenski

Jones
Ristolainen
Parayko

Lindholm
Slavin
Trouba

Ekblad
Klefbom
Rielly
Klingberg

If Provorov was included I'd put him next to Risto and Parayko. Werenski is off the charts.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Probably Jones or Lindholm.

Ristolainen is not a top pairing defencemen. Not even close.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This happens a lot with these polls. The title is "best" but the OP says "potential". What you end up with is half the people voting on best and half voting on potential. That's what the polling looks like to me.

In the future we should keep the important stuff in the title.

Probably Jones or Lindholm.

Ristolainen is not a top pairing defencemen. Not even close.

He has a lot of potential still. He should never have been pressed into duty so young but now that Housley is there he will hopefully teach Ristolainen about the little things. Risto has all the raw physical attributes and we shouldn't completely ignore his PP skills.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Reilly, Klefbom, Klingberg shouldn't be on this list.

Klingberg is overrated by Stars fans, but otherwise your comment and many others prove how overall he's a very underrated D. Most people don't even consider him a 1D, which he is, just more of a lowend one despite great production and underlying numbers (Due to extreme sheltering and high quality of team mates).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Klingberg is overrated by Stars fans, but otherwise your comment and many others prove how overall he's a very underrated D. Most people don't even consider him a 1D, which he is, just more of a lowend one despite great production and underlying numbers (Due to extreme sheltering and high quality of team mates).

In a "potential thread" Klingberg is a bit out of place, being 25 and several years older than most of the other D.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Ekblad falling this much because of concussion concerns and a bad 2016-17 season? The guy is about a season removed from "this is a future Norris winner" talk.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

I agree Klingberg doesnt belong here because he is 25 and this is a potential thread but how do you think he gets extreme sheltering? He plays against top competition and has pretty even zone starts. In fact his past year he had more defensive starts than offensive ones

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I agree Klingberg doesnt belong here because he is 25 and this is a potential thread but how do you think he gets extreme sheltering? He plays against top competition and has pretty even zone starts. In fact his past year he had more defensive starts than offensive ones

In his first two seasons, last season Klingberg was not very good overall in every metric. The first two seasons Klingberg had fantastic metrics, but it was due to playing a lot of Ozone starts with Goligoski and Seguin and Benn. Even this season he mostly played with Seguin and Benn. Also there's relative Dzone starts, since Dallas started a lot of Dzone starts, naturally everyone will. Klingberg isn't Barrie bad and in need of sheltering, but he's not the best player to face super tough competition. He's still a top 25 D in my books though, I'd say he's roughly 22nd best defenseman in the league if you were to ask me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Ekblad has one off year and everyone thinks hes done

HF.

He wasn't great any of the last couple years, and the year before that very sheltered. If he has one on year where he's used like a top pair d-man then I'll be happy to put him up with the top dogs. He's slower than all the D in my top group as well so I don't see his potential quite as high.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He wasn't great any of the last couple years, and the year before that very sheltered. If he has one on year where he's used like a top pair d-man then I'll be happy to put him up with the top dogs. He's slower than all the D in my top group as well so I don't see his potential quite as high.

Agreed.

Jones
Slavin
Lindholm
Werenski
Provorov (not listed)
Hanifin (not listed) this is potential, he belongs here
Rielly
Klefbom
Trouba
Ristolainen
Parayko
Larsson (not listed)
Hamilton (not listed)
Ekblad
Klingberg

and I didn't even put in any rookies

Nice to see someone noticed.

Crazy that someone who actually PLAYED as a #1 Dman AND played well, gets passed over by guys who played sheltered 2nd pairing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad