Best young Canadian talent for 2010

turnbuckle*

Considering the list of players who turned down a chance to play in the worlds and the youth of the team, the Canadians did quite well, and were only a couple of goals from the gold medal game. Carter, Bergeron and Crosby were strong for most of the tournament, and represent part of a strong up-and-coming base for future international competitions like the World Cup and Olympics.

Here are some of the players 25 and under that will be in their primes or early primes in 2010.

I listed 55 forwards.

Nash
Brule
Picard
Getzlaf
Lupul
Perry
Richards
Carter
Downie
Bergeron
Boyes
Spezza
Heatley
Fisher
Staal
Williams
Ladd
Torres
Stoll
MA Pouliot
Cogliano
Hartnell
Upshall
Bernier
Cheechoo
Setoguchi
PM Bouchard
B Pouliot
Bolland
Blunden
Tambellini
Comeau
O'Marra
Weiss
Horton
Wolski
Richardson
Kobasew
Boyd
Chipchura
Latendresse
Stajan
Crosby
Roy
Comrie
Zajac
Bourret
J Staal
Toews
Brassard
Esposito
Little
Tavares
Sheppard
C. Stewart
Cammellari

There will likely be nine or ten players from the above list with a solid chance of making the Olympic team, along with vets like Thornton, Iginla, Marleau, Smyth, Gagne, Tanguay, etc.

Here's a list of 20 defencemen 25 and under with the best chance of making the Canadian blueline in 2010. Out of this group, it would be realistic to be looking at 4 blueliners to join the likes of Regehr, Redden, Neidermayer, Jovanovski, etc.

Jackman
Phaneuf
Schultz
Boynton
Hamhuis
Morrisonn
Bouwmeester
Eminger
Daley
Coburn
Seabrook
Weber
Barker
Green
Staal
Bourdon
Sanguinetti
Wishart
Parent
Foster

Out of the 14 goalies, one and perhaps two (doubtful) will stand a chance of breaking Canada's top three for the Olympics. I suspect Brodeur will stioll be at the top of his game, and Luongo will be in his goaltending prime. So we need to pick two goalies from this list:

Auld
Danis
Leclaire
Emery
Ward
Pogge
Price
LeNeveu
Fleury
Crawford
Dubnyk
Plante
Vincent
Schaefer

10 forwards
Four defencemen
two goaltenders

forwards

Bergeron
Spezza
Heatley
Nash
Crosby
Getzlaf
Carter
Richards
Staal
Horton

defence

Phaneuf
Jackman
Hamhuis
Seabrook

goalies

Ward
fleury

I suspect the likes of Toews, Tavares, Brule and Brassard will be knocking hard on the door, and perhaps one of them will make the grade, most likely Toews if the team is looking for a solid all-around center for the team.

I'm interested in seeing other people's projections on who they think are the 15 best young players with a shot of making the 2010 Canadian Olympic squad.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
Nash Thornton Bernier
Heatley Spezza Marleau
Tanguay E.Staal Crosby
Ladd M.Richards Horton
Bergeron

Phaneuf Redden
Bouwmeester Jackman
Staal Regehr
Barker

Ward
Fleury

It's really hard to pick them even now.
Those guys are great.

High flyin' Habs*

Spetzky said:
Nash Thornton Bernier
Heatley Spezza Marleau
Tanguay E.Staal Crosby
Ladd M.Richards Horton
Bergeron

Phaneuf Redden
Bouwmeester Jackman
Staal Regehr
Barker

Ward
Fleury

Those guys are great.
What? Crosby on the third line in 5 years? You kidding me?

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Spetzky said:
Nash Thornton Bernier
Heatley Spezza Marleau
Tanguay E.Staal Crosby
Ladd M.Richards Horton
Bergeron

Phaneuf Redden
Bouwmeester Jackman
Staal Regehr
Barker

Ward
Fleury

Those guys are great.

Bergeron will be ahead of Mike Richards and Bernier! In 2010 crosby will be by far the best player for Canada and on the top line getting the most minutes!

turnbuckle*

Nielson81 said:
Luongo should still be able to play in 2010.

I agree, and so should Brodeur. I also suspect that there might not be 10 of those forwards playing at the Olympics either when you consider some of the players they'll have to outplay, like Lecavalier, Richards, Thornton, Iginla, Gagne, Smyth, Marleau Tanguay, Kariya, Madden, Briere, Morrow, Doan, perhaps even St. Louis and Sakic.

Likely goalies in Vancouver
Brodeur
Luongo
?

Perhaps Ward? Time will tell; I'm hoping it will be Price by then. ;)

Up front.... Lecavalier, Richards, Thornton, Iginla, Gagne, Smyth, Marleau and Sakic....I could see all of them still being under heavy consideration in three years time when the team is being picked.

Veteran 7:

Lecavalier
Richards
Thornton
Iginla
Gagne
Smyth
Sakic/Marleau (If Sakic says no)

Sure bets:

Staal
Nash
Crosby

4 spots left:

Spezza
Heatley
Bergeron
Getzlaf
Carter
Richards
Horton

which four do you take? Time will tell; one thing is for sure, there will be plenty of tough decisions once again.

I could see Heatley and Spezza having a shot at it along with Horton and Bergeron, leaving Carter, Richards, and Getzlaf to battle for spots in 2014. Tough choices to make, especially leaving off Carter and Richards. Given the national team's tendency to pick players with lnegthy Team Canada resumes, it wouldn't suprise me to see a Carter taken over a Horton if if Nathan is playing better at the time of the final selections.

turnbuckle*

inferno98 said:
Not Canadian

Good point, wasn't under major consideration anyways. Anything else to add, or are you just in corrective mode?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
1badbruin said:
Bergeron will be ahead of Mike Richards and Bernier! In 2010 crosby will be by far the best player for Canada and on the top line getting the most minutes!

And Tanguay, Ladd and Horton.

I wonder if Thornton hasnt improved his big game ability he will be on the next Olympic team. Certainly last year's Olympics wasnt a great first impression.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
I doubt you'll see anyone drafted this year or later on Team Canada 2010. No one appears to have the superstar ability that could push him onto the roster in their first or second season (which is liukely where they will be in terms of experience.)

The team will be led by Crosby and Phaneuf will probably be the key defender.

I expect Luongo to be the goalie. Of the people who were on this years team I expect Gagne, Iginla, Lecavalier, Richards, Nash, Heatley, Thornton and probably Smyth to be back. Joe Sakic will be 40 then and I could see him being on the team as well especially if Gretzky is in charge.

I see there being 4-5 spots open for forwards. Staal will probably be there and Spezza might as well. I think the last spots will be filled by some combination of Lupul, Carter, Mike Richards, marleau and Bergeron.

On defence I think:

Phaneuf, Pronger, Niedermayer, Jovanovski, Bouwmeester, Redden, Regehr

This team isn't as different as some other people think it will be but I can't justify saying that the team will be full of players who are current prospects or rookies this season. Team Canada will still favoour international experience and many of the yoounger members of this years Olympic team will still be prominent.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
turnbuckle said:
Good point, wasn't under major consideration anyways. Anything else to add, or are you just in corrective mode?

i agree with your post about the 7 veterans then the other 4 or so spots, i do believe carter could be in there probably not richards, not sure though i cant wait for it though

USA has a lot of young talent in the past couple drafts and this one comming up, lots of defense, EJ, JJ, Sanguinetti, Brian Lee, Nigel Williams and others

Rolexmaster

Aug 3, 2005
Iginla-Crosby-Gagne
Nash-Brad Richards-Lecavalier
Bergeron-Staal-Heatley
Carter-Speeza-Marleau
Thornton

Phaneuf-Niedermayer
Bouwmeester-Regher
Brewer-Pronger
Bourdon

Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

I know most people would argue with putting Bergeron ahead of guys like Cheechoo, Lupul, Getzlaf, Bernier, Horton......but he's a proven performer on the international stage......

These lines don't necessarily reflect the players' talent.....Marleau and Speeza being on the 3rd-4th line doesn't mean they're worst players than Heatley, Gagne or Bergeron.....it's all a question of balance and chemistry......

It's hard to get on that team if you're a center.......so you gotta be ready to play on the wing (just like Lecavalier always does on the international level).....Crosby, Brad Richards and Staal have to get the automatic top 3 center positions.....we won't make the same mistake 2 Olympics in a row....Speeza might not be there if guys like Tanguay, Thornton or others have better seasons that year.....

Brad Richards should have the C on his jersey....Gretzky pretty much hinted to the fact that in the future, they might turn to him for leadership role......Gretzky nevers says something unless there's something to it......
Other possibilities: Niedermayer

The problem with this team is that a lot of these players have awesome regular seasons but DON'T SHOW UP during these international tournaments.....Thornton, Marleau, Heatley.....

As for goalies, if Brodeur steps down, Luongo gets the starting job....he's been there as part of the Team for a while now, even if other goalies have better seasons that year, he'll still get the starting job (like Brodeur this year, even though he had a bad first part of the season)....

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Cheechoo anyone?

I don't know how a guy who just wins the Rocket Richard Trophy with 56 goals, doesn't even make the list of anyone yet?

I know it's 4 years from now, but if Joe Thornton is named to any Team Canada, I would guess Jonathan Cheechoo would also be named. Alot of things can change from now until 2010, but speaking as of today, Thornton and Cheechoo would be no brainers!

I also like guys like, Briere, Savard, Stoll, etc. There are just so many guys available when looking 4 years down the road, it's impossible to put together a team right now!

da_pope*

Iggy will captian Team Canada in 2010.
He'll only be 30 what... 32?

Rolexmaster

Aug 3, 2005
I can't see Iggy passing Richards for Captain spot.......Richards will get it if it's not Niedermayer.....Richards has leadership/captain written all over him....

Plus, someone has to say it: Iggy has done sh*t for Canada since winning gold in 2002.....and unlike playing for Calgary, when he plays for Canada, we can't blame his poor play on his poor quality linemates.....

Don't get me wrong, Iggy is one of the most complete and one of the best player on this planet......but in 4 years I see Richards as having a bigger role in terms of leadership....

Iggy however will still be the go-to-guy on offense......let's hope him, Thornton, and Healtey finally decide to show up this time.... :teach:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Brodeur will step down imo...

Luongo
Fleury

The better goalie wins the number 1 spot obviously. I wouldn't mind Heatley playing along side Crosby, that will be too dangerous to handle...add in Bergeron if he can play RW and that line will dominate the scoring. If Cheechoo and Thornton still have the same chemistry last season till the olympics they can make up second line for sure.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
And Tanguay, Ladd and Horton.

I wonder if Thornton hasnt improved his big game ability he will be on the next Olympic team. Certainly last year's Olympics wasnt a great first impression.
But he was good in last year`s world championship.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Wisent said:
But he was good in last year`s world championship.

You mean the World Cup on the checking line? Yea, he played very well. To me though, he was one of the reasons Team Canada underperformed in the Olympics. I thought he was pretty bad overall and it will be interesting to see if Canada relies on the old boy network in 2010 or if they really select the best players....I think we can agree they certainly didnt do that last year.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Bruwinz37 said:
You mean the World Cup on the checking line? Yea, he played very well. To me though, he was one of the reasons Team Canada underperformed in the Olympics. I thought he was pretty bad overall and it will be interesting to see if Canada relies on the old boy network in 2010 or if they really select the best players....I think we can agree they certainly didnt do that last year.
it's pretty crazy that they left off three 100 pt caliber players in crosby, staal, and spezza.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
HabLover said:
Cheechoo anyone?

I don't know how a guy who just wins the Rocket Richard Trophy with 56 goals, doesn't even make the list of anyone yet?

I know it's 4 years from now, but if Joe Thornton is named to any Team Canada, I would guess Jonathan Cheechoo would also be named. Alot of things can change from now until 2010, but speaking as of today, Thornton and Cheechoo would be no brainers!

I also like guys like, Briere, Savard, Stoll, etc. There are just so many guys available when looking 4 years down the road, it's impossible to put together a team right now!

Good point. I forgot about Cheechoo. I think it would be wise to look at including the Thornton/Cheechoo tandem on Team Canada.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
scoutman1 said:
doesn't matter though, Crosby would not be on line 3, 1st line yes, not line 3
All these lines are basically 1st lines. At tourneys like these it's better not even to give them 1st, 2nd etc line titles because it's really not the case.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Spetzky said:
Nash Thornton Bernier
Heatley Spezza Marleau
Tanguay E.Staal Crosby
Ladd M.Richards Horton
Bergeron

Phaneuf Redden
Bouwmeester Jackman
Staal Regehr
Barker

Ward
Fleury

Those guys are great.

I think a guy like Fisher would be a great fit as well! The guy just plays hard all the time, can skate, plays physical, excellent defensively and can also bury the biscuit when he gets a chance!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad