Best WR in the NFL? (Redux)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I would assume Benjamin and Wilson were garbage time numbers

Man that steelers offense is going to be scary if they ever get healthy and/or not suspendsd

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I would assume Benjamin and Wilson were garbage time numbers

Man that steelers offense is going to be scary if they ever get healthy and/or not suspendsd

I'd assume so. Also, it's not like a specific CB ALWAYS covers a specific receiver every play. Some of that yardage could have been racked up vs. lesser DBs. Especially considering Benjamin and Wilson are by no means "must covers", I'd expect that to be the case.

Edit: That was certainly the case vs. Benjamin, anyways:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/19/den-cle-grades-browns-falter-late-broncos-defense-carries-team-to-victory-yet-again/

Cornerbacks Aqib Talib (+1.5) and Chris Harris Jr. (+2.5) were the highlights of a strong performance from the Denver secondary. A missed tackle and offside penalty lowered his overall grade, but Talib was excellent in coverage. He got his hands on two passes, one of them a pick-six, while allowing just two receptions on five targets covering Travis Benjamin. Harris allowed just 11 yards on four targets with a pair of defensive stops.

This is from PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/21/pro-why-the-steelers-could-be-the-afcs-best-team/

Coming into yesterday’s game, Broncos cornerback Chris Harris hadn’t allowed a touchdown in 36 straight games, dating back to Week 12 of the 2013 season. He hadn’t posted a game graded in the “red” (representing a poor game grade) at PFF since the same week, and had never allowed 100-plus receiving yards in a game. He was, and is, one of the league’s best cornerbacks, and he was taken to pieces by Antonio Brown, the NFL’s best receiver.

Denver more or less played one-on-one matchups with the Pittsburgh receivers: Harris covered Brown, Aqib Talib covered Martavis Bryant and Bradley Roby took Markus Wheaton.

Brown saw 15 targets when covered by Harris in this game, and he caught 14 of them for 164 yards and two touchdowns.

They were hammer blows at key times, as well, as the Steelers needed to mount a sizeable comeback in the game.

In truth, none of the Denver matchup master plan worked, it’s just that Harris was the player exposed most obviously and thoroughly.

Talib surrendered eight catches to Bryant on 11 targets for 75 yards. Roby gave up five catches for 48 yards and a touchdown to Wheaton on 10 targets, but also gave up five catches on five targets when he was covering anybody else.

This was arguably the NFL’s strongest trio of cornerbacks, and they were helpless against the league’s best group of receivers. Brown in particular hammered home the point that he is the league’s best wideout, and if you don’t get hands on him to disrupt him at the line, you have no chance. Ben Roethlisberger’s passer rating in this game was 99.8 overall, but it was a nearly perfect 152.2 when targeting Brown, and no higher than 87.5 when throwing in the direction of anybody else.

Brown was our top-rated receiver coming into the game, and only increased the gap over second-place Julio Jones. He is now averaging 113 yards per game this season despite playing with a combination of Michael Vick and Landry Jones for five of them, and the best part about his game from a Pittsburgh perspective is that he is just one option.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think Jones can be underrated at times. Matt Ryan is no slouch, but Jones with a Brady/Rodgers..... ooooof the numbers he'd put up.

Brown is it tho, he's probably the only current WR that i think can reach Megatrons peak. Insane how the Steelers have him, Wheaton and Bryant. That trio will be historic.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I think Jones can be underrated at times. Matt Ryan is no slouch, but Jones with a Brady/Rodgers..... ooooof the numbers he'd put up.

Brown is it tho, he's probably the only current WR that i think can reach Megatrons peak. Insane how the Steelers have him, Wheaton and Bryant. That trio will be historic.
People seriously overestimate the difference between a mid tier quarterback and an elite one like rodgers and brady, at least in terms of what they would do to a receivers numbers. I wouldn't say the numbers would be hugely different.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People seriously overestimate the difference between a mid tier quarterback and an elite one like rodgers and brady, at least in terms of what they would do to a receivers numbers. I wouldn't say the numbers would be hugely different.

What did Wes Welker do without Brady/Manning?

Look at how good Moss was once he got an elite QB in New England. Steve Smith's numbers went up one the Panthers drafted Newton. Fitzgerald's numbers went up with Warner as his QB.

Im not saying he would double his production but it would certainly be a lot bigger and better.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
What did Wes Welker do without Brady/Manning?

Look at how good Moss was once he got an elite QB in New England. Steve Smith's numbers went up one the Panthers drafted Newton. Fitzgerald's numbers went up with Warner as his QB.

Im not saying he would double his production but it would certainly be a lot bigger and better.
Foles is arguably the worst qb in the league so that isnt a great comparison, leinart (and every other cards qb) was terrible too

Moss is a decent comparison though culpepper was a star, he still didn't come close to breaking his own personal yardage totals despite breaking the td record

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad