Best/worst minor pro rinks

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A great arena that is no more was the Toledo Sports Arena. Only about 40 feet tall so the noise level was unreal. ... A place to watch a hockey game where everyone was into the game and close to the ice and players. ...
If the bold portions above were all true, I reckon the 5,000+ hockey fans must've been sitting on (or maybe lying across) one another's laps in the first five rows of seats. :huh:

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
If the bold portions above were all true, I reckon the 5,000+ hockey fans must've been sitting on (or maybe lying across) one another's laps in the first five rows of seats. :huh:

It's pretty spot on. The press box was no more than 35 feet above the ice. There were, tops, 10 rows of seats on the sides and 20 at the ends, and the bowl rose pretty steeply. The glass was three feet high on the sides of the rink and maybe 10 feet at the ends of the rink. The rink itself was "180x80" in the media guide, though a beat writer of some renown once told me he walked it with a distance wheel and it was more like 170x70.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's pretty spot on. The press box was no more than 35 feet above the ice. There were, tops, 10 rows of seats on the sides and 20 at the ends, and the bowl rose pretty steeply. The glass was three feet high on the sides of the rink and maybe 10 feet at the ends of the rink. The rink itself was "180x80" in the media guide, though a beat writer of some renown once told me he walked it with a distance wheel and it was more like 170x70.
I'm looking at photos from the Google Search link provided by @Cyclones Rock, and I count 12 or 13 rows of fixed stadium seats & 3 ice-level rows of folding chairs on the sides. End sections were raised & might have had 8-10 rows of fixed seats. More to my point, the interior bowl space ice-to-ceiling was relatively short but it was not "40 feet" in any dimension. And the necessarily sloping seating geometry & capacity of over 5,000 didn't meet my idea of "close to the ice" throughout, but I guess it's all in what you're used to.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm looking at photos from the Google Search link provided by @Cyclones Rock, and I count 12 or 13 rows of fixed stadium seats & 3 ice-level rows of folding chairs on the sides. End sections were raised & might have had 8-10 rows of fixed seats. More to my point, the interior bowl space ice-to-ceiling was relatively short but it was not "40 feet" in any dimension. And the necessarily sloping seating geometry & capacity of over 5,000 didn't meet my idea of "close to the ice" throughout, but I guess it's all in what you're used to.

Were you ever there? It was a 5,000 seat arena and people were close to the ice. Anyone who ever there would confirm that.

Maybe it was 50 feet high. So what? What's your point?

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fc/28/01/fc28010be106aae80c2ffbe0aacfa76a.jpg

Ground level (outside) to the base roof is not more than 30-35 feet. Add 10 or so for the peak of the roof and for whatever the "dip" was-if any- to the ice.

What is your estimate since your being so anal about it?:laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Dayton had 3 arenas that hosted pro hockey plus a rec rink for the FHL team for a few games. I'll feature the least well known of the three.

Hobart Arena hosted quite a few Bombers games was an interesting facility. Sat around 3,500 or so but still had obstructed views due to the roof supports which were in the stands. So despite its size there were plenty of bad seats in the house. The ice surface was very small-185' x 85' according to its website, but I'd bet dimensions weren't that big. The neutral zones seemed almost non existent. No way does my memory recall NHL size width. Perhaps I'm wrong. The AAHL Troy Sabres played there in the 80s along with an IHL team before my time.

It had cozy concourses with very cheap concessions and a few neat display cases featuring the Hobart Brothers, Hobart Industries and some event memorability IIRC. I don't believe that they sold beer which was a big negative for the Bombers. The Bombers used the facility to try to draw people further to the North Side of Dayton-closer to Hara Arena where they played prior to moving to the Nutter Center. One or two games were due to scheduling conflicts at Nutter. Crowds at Hobart were mediocre. I think they drew close to 3,000 a couple of times at Hobart, but its been awhile since these events took place.

I scored a hat trick while very hung over (possibly still drunk) during a tournament my senior high school year so I had some great memories in that building:laugh:

I won't estimate roof height as that seems to be source of contention among some. :rolleyes:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/rf/...Images/newsEngin.18911726_060817nrhobart1.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x883f76de6ec7d8a5:0xef8365e77c9cb25!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipN4LzWKe4k2HxMgT078dbtCdytk1ojfMUAtHm-c=w213-h160-k-no!5shobart arena - Google Search!15sCAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipN4LzWKe4k2HxMgT078dbtCdytk1ojfMUAtHm-c&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwiexpT8-obpAhXXc94KHZ3BDsMQoiowFnoECBcQBg

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'll reply here, so your efforts weren't wasted. ;)

No, I was never at Toledo Sports Arena. But I doubt you ever carried a tape measure with you while you were there, so all either of us have to go on are anecdotal data. In your defense, there's a Wiki page that reports the TSA was 33-2/3 feet tall (I presume you didn't write it or you would've cited that number). From exterior photos available, I could believe that height for the ground base of the exterior concrete structure to its top. Add to that the arched roof structure, and I'd estimate total exterior building height as a minimum of 50 feet (still a pretty dang short structure, for sure). Moving inside, I see evidence of a ground-level concourse with direct access to the top row of bowl seating. So presuming standard 48-inch tall dashes topped by the 3-foot glass height reported by CrazyEddie (proportions look about right), I gauged the height above the glass up to the last rows as approx. another 3 times the board/glass combo. That makes 28 feet from ice level to concourse level. 28 feet + 50 feet > 40 feet. Anal enough for you?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'll reply here, so your efforts weren't wasted. ;)

No, I was never at Toledo Sports Arena. But I doubt you ever carried a tape measure with you while you were there, so all either of us have to go on are anecdotal data. In your defense, there's a Wiki page that reports the TSA was 33-2/3 feet tall (I presume you didn't write it or you would've cited that number). From exterior photos available, I could believe that height for the ground base of the exterior concrete structure to its top. Add to that the arched roof structure, and I'd estimate total exterior building height as a minimum of 50 feet (still a pretty dang short structure, for sure). Moving inside, I see evidence of a ground-level concourse with direct access to the top row of bowl seating. So presuming standard 48-inch tall dashes topped by the 3-foot glass height reported by CrazyEddie (proportions look about right), I gauged the height above the glass up to the last rows as approx. another 3 times the board/glass combo. That makes 28 feet from ice level to concourse level. 28 feet + 50 feet > 40 feet. Anal enough for you?

Whatever. Enjoy your assumptions. The height of the arched roof is not more than 10 feet higher than the main structure. You have no basis for your assumption that the floor of the building was lower than the entrance to the concourse. So your 28'+50' was essentially pulled out of-I'll be nice-thin air.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Whatever. Enjoy your assumptions. The height of the arched roof is not more than 10 feet higher than the main structure. You have no basis for your assumption that the floor of the building was lower than the entrance to the concourse. So your 28'+50' was essentially pulled out of-I'll be nice-thin air.
No thin air (nor dark cavities) were involved, but your matching persistence made me dig further. This better photo of the TSA interior with ushers at their stations indicates that the side access tunnels to the arena bowl actually came in at just about the height of the short side glass, removing 21 feet from my total interior height estimate; and if those tunnels had stairwells leading up to that part of the bowl, then I'd conclude that the ice surface was at outside ground level elevation. I will always admit when I'm proven wrong (which I was about the concourse-to-bowl entry points), but looking at the latest interior photo and the arc of the roof line above the supporting trusses & outerwalls still leaves me questioning the basis of your 40 feet assertion.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No thin air (nor dark cavities) were involved, but your matching persistence made me dig further. This better photo of the TSA interior with ushers at their stations indicates that the side access tunnels to the arena bowl actually came in at just about the height of the short side glass, removing 21 feet from my total interior height estimate; and if those tunnels had stairwells leading up to that part of the bowl, then I'd conclude that the ice surface was at outside ground level elevation. I will always admit when I'm proven wrong (which I was about the concourse-to-bowl entry points), but looking at the latest interior photo and the arc of the roof line above the supporting trusses & outerwalls still leaves me questioning the basis of your 40 feet assertion.

Maybe it's 50. I mean, so what. It is about experience with arenas not about arena dimensions. That is a great pic of the arena.

Reactions: JMCx4

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
A crying shame it's gone.

Time marches on, I suppose but the demolition pictures are tough to look at.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
A crying shame it's gone.

Time marches on, I suppose but the demolition pictures are tough to look at.

It was a unique place to watch a game, to be sure.

It was a dump, but it was a dump with character.

Newer rinks are cleaner, bigger, and better lit, but they have all the atmosphere of a hospital waiting room.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Maybe it's 50. I mean, so what. It is about experience with arenas not about arena dimensions. That is a great pic of the arena.

I'm pretty sure that is a cropped version of a picture I took. I used to travel to a lot of Royals games, and experimented with panoramic images of arenas for a while - using 2007ish technolgy. Here is a link to my collection of images. Includes Hobart arena too. Panoramic views of arenas - RichsHockeyPics

Both the sports arena and Hobart were cool old buildings. I loved going to Toledo for games. We would drive 10 hours out and back for a Saturday night game there. I even had a couple seats from Toledo in my house. A friend who lives there picked them up for me when they tore the old building down.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure that is a cropped version of a picture I took. I used to travel to a lot of Royals games, and experimented with panoramic images of arenas for a while - using 2007ish technolgy. Here is a link to my collection of images. Includes Hobart arena too. Panoramic views of arenas - RichsHockeyPics

Both the sports arena and Hobart were cool old buildings. I loved going to Toledo for games. We would drive 10 hours out and back for a Saturday night game there. I even had a couple seats from Toledo in my house. A friend who lives there picked them up for me when they tore the old building down.

What outstanding pics! Thanks.

Your picture of US Bank Arena appear to have the old Cyclones logo on the ice. Do you remember when you shot this?

Everyone should check these out.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
What outstanding pics! Thanks.

Your picture of US Bank Arena appear to have the old Cyclones logo on the ice. Do you remember when you shot this?

Everyone should check these out.
Thanks. The metadata on the images says it was last modified 4-8-2007. I assume that is when I did the photoshop to combine the images, so the picture would have been some time before that, probably within a few weeks prior, if I had to guess.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MinorHockeyFan

Jan 9, 2020
I would say the CAA Centre in Brampton is quite poor when it comes to arena quality. The inside is just so dreary and looks like it hasn't been renovated in decades. Lighting is pretty dull and it has ugly purple seats.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I would say the CAA Centre in Brampton is quite poor when it comes to arena quality. The inside is just so dreary and looks like it hasn't been renovated in decades. Lighting is pretty dull and it has ugly purple seats.
To be fair, the CAA relocated and renovated its Brampton retail store in 2018 before the renaming of Powerade Centre. But, yeah, those purple seats. :shakehead

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
See now I always thought the purple seats in Elmira's arena looked okay. Then again I haven't been in the building since it was the Coach USA Center when the Jackals played the Knoxville Speed in the United Hockey League. I had a great time there.

Reactions: JMCx4

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Lots of people talking about bad places, so let me toss out one I love to watch games at: Cool Insuring Arena in Glens Falls. Great sightlines, even when it's packed the beer lines aren't terribly long, the home crowd (except for behind the visitor's bench) have been excellent to talk to, and there are some really fine restaurants/pubs and easy walk away.

Reactions: sabremike and JMCx4

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Lots of people talking about bad places, so let me toss out one I love to watch games at: Cool Insuring Arena in Glens Falls. Great sightlines, even when it's packed the beer lines aren't terribly long, the home crowd (except for behind the visitor's bench) have been excellent to talk to, and there are some really fine restaurants/pubs and easy walk away.

I just absolutely dislike the corporate name of Cool Insuring Arena, to me its just the Glens Falls Civic Center lol but get why they do it and it's why the arena financially survives and owns its on ECHL franchise. Great sightlines for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad