Best ways to get over the plateau where gains aren't gaining as fast as you want them to?

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I'm literally feeling like I'm even maybe taking a step or two backwards instead of towards my goals and I wanted to ask some of the experts here what you may have done or recommend doing when your gains are feeling like they are not gaining as fast or as much?

I'm literally eating just as much if not moreso, I'm in the gym 10 or more hours/per week on a daily basis except of course the Lord's day (Sunday, day off rest) and for some reasons I'm feeling stronger but not looking bigger and literally measured and lost a halve inch in my biceps since the measurement last month (I used the same measuring tape and was flat/cold/fist-flexed)

I think it might be that I'm taking too much fiber and it's pooping out the protein before my body is utilizing it into my muscular structural building?

Then,

There's a guy at my fitnesse centre who was telling me that the only way to get more swoller faster at a point like this (he called it a "swole slump" wt*?) He says to me that you have to drop the heavy bells and pick up lighter ones and just don't even count reps and don't even do sets just pump them until you can't pump and then take a small break and eat a snack and then get back to pumping.

Is this a thing?

Another guy hears him say that and says no, he says to me you get the heavier bells and pump less but pump in sets and count your pumps and do as many sets up to FIVE sets, and then pick up the even heavier bells and pump them 5 times max and then go home, eat a huge meal and go straight to bed.

Which one works better?

Also, anyone into x-fitness? Like the one where you throw tires around and run from dobermans and do stuff that you would do in real life like if you had a tough lunchpail blue-collared type of job?

Thanks.

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Have you had any bloodwork done? You could have hyperthyroidism which means your thyroid gland is working extra fast. That can contribute.

Otherwise it is likely just your metabolism. Which means you have to eat a lot all of the time and schedule a daily calorie intake to gain.

The things you are doing will work even crossfit if you stick with them.

Beyond that, maybe work on accepting your body type and your main goal should be fitness and strength and not being jacked.

Definitely don't let anyone talk you into taking steroids because they can be hard on your long term health. Had a friend basically die because of and enlarged heart due long term steroid use combined with drugs and alcohol. Others got addicted to heroin eventually because the drug you take to mitigate roidrage is a tranqualizer and for them it led to that.

Be smart and stay safe.

Reactions: VickAshley

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Have you had any bloodwork done? You could have hyperthyroidism which means your thyroid gland is working extra fast. That can contribute.

Otherwise it is likely just your metabolism. Which means you have to eat a lot all of the time and schedule a daily calorie intake to gain.

The things you are doing will work even crossfit if you stick with them.

Beyond that, maybe work on accepting your body type and your main goal should be fitness and strength and not being jacked.

Definitely don't let anyone talk you into taking steroids because they can be hard on your long term health. Had a friend basically die because of and enlarged heart due long term steroid use combined with drugs and alcohol. Others got addicted to heroin eventually because the drug you take to mitigate roidrage is a tranqualizer and for them it led to that.

Be smart and stay safe.
Thank you so much.

Reactions: Legionnaire

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Lmao this is a troll post but just for the off chance someone actually is looking for advice on this, depending on how long you lift you will eventually plateau as a natural lifter. You will make 80-85% of your gains in your first two years your "noob gains." After that you'll make fractions of gains especially as you get into 5-10 years of lifting. If you're eating in a surplus and hitting progressive overload then you should see results, even if the results aren't as great as they once were.

-Eat enough
-Sleep enough
-Lift heavy

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Lmao this is a troll post but just for the off chance someone actually is looking for advice on this, depending on how long you lift you will eventually plateau as a natural lifter. You will make 80-85% of your gains in your first two years your "noob gains." After that you'll make fractions of gains especially as you get into 5-10 years of lifting. If you're eating in a surplus and hitting progressive overload then you should see results, even if the results aren't as great as they once were.

-Eat enough
-Sleep enough
-Lift heavy
Not at all a troll post or I would not have made it so thank you for your input, are you sure lifting heavy is ideal for ideal swolling or higher reps lower weights? I have conflicting viewpoints coming at me inside of the gym.

Reactions: Legionnaire

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Not at all a troll post or I would not have made it so thank you for your input, are you sure lifting heavy is ideal for ideal swolling or higher reps lower weights? I have conflicting viewpoints coming at me inside of the gym.

High volume (reps of 5) on heavy compounds are the best way to build muscle as a natural. Rep ranges of 8-12 are best for isolation movements, which should be done after your heavy compounds. Squat, deadlift, row, press and bench (not even that important but no bro can go without bench). Heavy chin-ups, dips and rows are better than bench, tbh fam.

You can get big arms just from chins/pull-ups, you don't ever really need to do curls but who doesn't love doing curls.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
High volume (reps of 5) on heavy compounds are the best way to build muscle as a natural. Rep ranges of 8-12 are best for isolation movements, which should be done after your heavy compounds. Squat, deadlift, row, press and bench (not even that important but no bro can go without bench). Heavy chin-ups, dips and rows are better than bench, tbh fam.

You can get big arms just from chins/pull-ups, you don't ever really need to do curls but who doesn't love doing curls.
LOVE doing curls. LOVE rows. Hate bench because it's literally a short manlet man's lift and I'm grown with literally monkey-esque arms that go almost to my kneeballs.

Thanks for the tips I think you are fair balanced and not like the gymdorklords I was getting unsolicitated advisements from at the centre.

Thanks again, literally thanks for all of it and so much.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
LOVE doing curls. LOVE rows. Hate bench because it's literally a short manlet man's lift and I'm grown with literally monkey-esque arms that go almost to my kneeballs.

Thanks for the tips I think you are fair balanced and not like the gymdorklords I was getting unsolicitated advisements from at the centre.

There is one reeeeeaaaallly strong guy on here that is stronger than hell that isn't all that tall.

You've got to conquer your fears and do it. If you're there, at the gym, you'll make friends. They'll spot you.

If you can't do that then as I said then you need to work on your self-confidence.

If you can do that the world will open up to you regardless of your motivations.

And if you're being bullied go get some training instead. You will f*** them up if you get some training. Wrestle. Box. Jui Jitsu. Whatever. You may lose but after that they will respect you as long as you don't back down because you will hurt them. And they won't any.

If is about finding confidence with your sexual preference, I'd do both. Train and read.

Last edited:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

You are very welcome, kind sir. I lovehate rows. They grow your lats but they're sometimes annoying cause I always do them after squats/bench/DL and then it's like more heavy shit.

@irunthepeg What is your opinion on dropsets? I've heard and read many differing but I've found they work for me.

I've done them before. Haven't regularly. The biggest thing for me that I'm doing right now for curls or lateral raises is 1.5 reps. So for a curl, you go all the way up, then half way down, then back up, then all the way down. And that's 1 rep.

I sometimes do some drop sets with curls too but not at all regular enough to see any benefit. They're good for getting that last bit until exhaustion out.

The big thing is it's not about going til failure and getting DOMS the next day. It's about a good volume at a good weight (have you read much on RPE, that's sort of what I subscribe to these days... lifting at an RPE 8-10 at all times).

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
There is one reeeeeaaaallly strong guy on here that is stronger than hell that isn't all that tall.

You've got to conquer your fears and do it. If you're there, at the gym, you'll make friends. They'll spot you.

If you can't do that then as I said then you need to work on your self-confidence.

If you can do that the world will open up to you regardless of your motivations.

And if you're being bullied go get some training instead. You will **** them up if you get some training. Wrestle. Box. Jui Jitsu. Whatever. You may lose but after that they will respect you as long as you don't back down because you will hurt them. And they won't any.

If is about finding confidence with your sexual preference, I'd do both. Train and read.
This post has somethings that i can gravitate inwards towards because its very psychological it appears to seem but simultaneously at the same time i am inclined to be a little freaked out by the bullying and even as it used to be true what is with the sexualization of anything im talking about? Makes zero sense because if i was going to be a homo i would have zero problems with that. I just want to gain muscle mass and i have zero problems if men like my abs or my biceps or ass.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
This post has somethings that i can gravitate inwards towards because its very psychological it appears to seem but simultaneously at the same time i am inclined to be a little freaked out by the bullying and even as it used to be true what is with the sexualization of anything im talking about? Makes zero sense because if i was going to be a homo i would have zero problems with that. I just want to gain muscle mass and i have zero problems if men like my abs or my bicepsothers.

Be cool. Be confident. Love yourself but more importantly love and respect others. IRL. The Internet is just a game.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
If

By Rudyard Kipling
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"