Best waiver pick-up in HFNHL history?

Discussion in 'HFNHL Talk' started by Ohio Jones, Mar 18, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. Ohio Jones

Ohio Jones Game on...

Martin Gerber has the Phoenix Coyotes on a - count 'em - 9 game winning streak... :amazed:

2. Sure ... rub it in. He shut the Wings out 1-0 the other day :cry:

As for the best one in history, I'll put my pickup of Martin St. Louis, before he broke out, in for that crown ;)

3. Ohio Jones

Ohio Jones Game on...

Doesn't count if you then trade him away before he breaks out... ;)

4. kasper11

kasper11 Registered User

Home Page:
    Well, somebody got Brian Gionta in the waiver draft my first year in the league....some new moron GM of the Devils forgot to protect him

Luck I didn't get fired for that one :dunce:

5. That was one of the many forced waiver draft trades I had to do over the years unfortunately. He was definitely on the 'uptick' at the time and while I would have liked to have held on to him, that was back when we still had waiver drafts and I wasn't going to be able to protect him.

Shawn Horcoff was another example of a guy I had to trade, not b/c I didn't believe in him, but b/c he was avictim of the numbers game when you could only protect 12 forwards.

Prospecting was so much harder back then with the waiver draft forcing you to either protect a starting roster player or one of your up and comers.

6. Ohio Jones

Ohio Jones Game on...

Well, I at least traded him away (for what? Probably the provernial bag o'pucks...), but he exploded pretty much the next season, so I feel your pain.

The waiver draft was indeed a p.i.t.a., but it was also one of the more interesting days in the GM calendar, when struggling teams could remake a portion of their roster on journeymen, long-shots and gambles and hope they panned out. I miss it (probably because I never had enough veteran depth for it to be a real issue for me... ) :D