Best video game endings

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What? This is a very strange take. I can't even picture what that would look like.

People spoil things because they're inconsiderate and self-centered, I don't really see how it can be a status/credibility/hipness thing.

Do you mean inadvertently spoiling by trying to explain the meaning of an ending or something?

The only similarity I can see is that hipsters like to brag about finding/enjoying something before it becomes cool. Don't know how that translates to spoiling endings, but I guess the smugness/arrogance of thinking they're superior for enjoying something before everyone else could translate into spoiling things for others.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The only similarity I can see is that hipsters like to brag about finding/enjoying something before it becomes cool. Don't know how that translates to spoiling endings, but I guess the smugness/arrogance of thinking they're superior for enjoying something before everyone else could translate into spoiling things for others.
That doesn't really connect, though-- The idea of a hipster is that they feel superior for enjoying (or appearing as if they enjoy) something that others don't understand and that supposedly requires deeper appreciation, not something that virtually everyone and their mother is guaranteed to experience shortly anyways like an ending.

If anything, that describes the kind of people who post "FIRST!" in comments sections. What the hell kind of hipster would indulge in that?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That doesn't really connect, though-- The idea of a hipster is that they feel superior for enjoying (or appearing as if they enjoy) something that others don't understand and that supposedly requires deeper appreciation, not something that virtually everyone and their mother is guaranteed to experience shortly anyways like an ending.

If anything, that describes the kind of people who post "FIRST!" in comments sections. What the hell kind of hipster would indulge in that?

While you're still correct, a stereotype of hipsters is that they like things before they become mainstream/cool and then stop liking them once that happens. Not sure if that's actually accurate for present-day hipsters, but it was definitely a quality associated with them in the past.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
While you're still correct, a stereotype of hipsters is that they like things before they become mainstream/cool and then stop liking them once that happens. Not sure if that's actually accurate for present-day hipsters, but it was definitely a quality associated with them in the past.
I get that, but it only makes sense if they don't know that it's going to become mainstream/cool and if there's actual complexity implied. If it's clearly inevitable and accessible, that superiority no longer makes any sense (and would make them look simple-minded rather than elite, which is the opposite of their motive).

It's like the difference between feeling superior because you're able to do a math problem others can't (and losing interest if they figure it out) vs. feeling superior because you got to eat dinner early. These are completely different atittudes with very little overlap.

"These goddamn hipsters always bragging about their early dinner like they're better than us!" makes no sense.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I agree that spoilers aren't necessarily hipsters, since lack of consideration for others isn't the same thing as arrogance. That said, those two things are both seem like they're born out of self-centeredness, so I can see why someone would use the term to criticize that attitude and it still gets the point across, even if it's maybe not the most accurate.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I get that, but it only makes sense if they don't know that it's going to become mainstream/cool and if there's actual complexity implied. If it's clearly inevitable and accessible, that superiority no longer makes any sense (and would make them look simple-minded rather than elite, which is the opposite of their motive).

It's like the difference between feeling superior because you're able to do a math problem others can't (and losing interest if they figure it out) vs. feeling superior because you got to eat dinner early. These are completely different atittudes with very little overlap.

"These goddamn hipsters always bragging about their early dinner like they're better than us!" makes no sense.

I think it makes some sense. They have a superiority complex because they jumped on the bandwagon early, in other words - they feel like they found a diamond in the rough that was special to them because it had been largely undiscovered, and now people are ruining it for them. It's kind of the same logic as people looking down on bandwagon jumpers for sports teams once they make the playoffs. Like these hipsters/fans have been supporting the team (or whatever it is) since the beginning, and they feel like they have more loyalty and feel more superior as a result. If that makes sense.

And bragging about early dinner sounds good, you get the food while it's still warm. But I see what you're saying, I'm just screwing around.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Nier Replicant and Nier Automata. Most recently Outer Wilds.

Unfortunately a lot of endings are designed to be unsatisfying because they always have to leave room for a potential sequel (see: The Last of Us.) Nier and Drakengard have always avoided that by only having loose continuity between games.
This being the only post thus far to mention NieR:Automata is a travesty.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think it makes some sense. They have a superiority complex because they jumped on the bandwagon early, in other words - they feel like they found a diamond in the rough that was special to them because it had been largely undiscovered, and now people are ruining it for them. It's kind of the same logic as people looking down on bandwagon jumpers for sports teams once they make the playoffs. Like these hipsters/fans have been supporting the team (or whatever it is) since the beginning, and they feel like they have more loyalty and feel more superior as a result. If that makes sense.

And bragging about early dinner sounds good, you get the food while it's still warm. But I see what you're saying, I'm just screwing around.
Again, I don't really buy that perspective because then there wouldn't be much to differentiate a hipster from man-children who yell "first!" in comments sections (they're pretty clearly wildly different complexes, IMO). I think it's more of a "feeling special/superior because you think you've unlocked something that nobody else has the intelligence to" thing (which being early just happens to be a byproduct of) rather than a simple "satisfaction from being first on the scene and feeling like you own it" thing (which I think a hipster would view as beneath them).

In fact, I don't think there's a shred of loyalty, ownership, or "I'm the real hardcore fan" element to hipsterism at all. Hipsters traditionally have no allegiance to the thing itself and hop off (or worse, deny ever being on in the first place) the moment a bandwagon hops on, whereas "true fan" gatekeepers stay on like it's their birthright and try to push the bandwagon off. They seem to be coming from entirely different and unrelated places, in my view.

But this is a lot of talk about nothing, I guess.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't think we really needed MGS5. I feel like it ruined what was a great end to the franchise. The music changes, then into silence during that final fight is just amazing, really well done.
Thought it didn't actually change anything, since it's just a side story that takes place before the first NES game.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This being the only post thus far to mention NieR:Automata is a travesty.

I liked the ending of Nier Automata, I just disliked having to replay the damn thing like 7 times to get the 'real' ending. If they added more new significant content in each subsequent playthrough, I would have held up that ending a lot higher. As it happened, by the time I got it, I was at the point where I was just happy to move on.

Still one of my favorite games of that year though, behind Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
I liked the ending of Nier Automata, I just disliked having to replay the damn thing like 7 times to get the 'real' ending. If they added more new significant content in each subsequent playthrough, I would have held up that ending a lot higher. As it happened, by the time I got it, I was at the point where I was just happy to move on.

Still one of my favorite games of that year though, behind Breath of the Wild and Horizon: Zero Dawn.
"like 7" is a wild exaggeration. The first route only needs to be replayed once, and is only a couple hours in length anyway, and then the final boss fight only needs to be replayed once, which can be replayed by itself and doesn't require repeating any other part of the game in order to do so, and that's all you need for all plot-relevant endings.

Edit: Incidentally, NieR, Horizon, and BotW were my top 3 of 2017 as well. That was a good year.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Final Fantasy Tactics in general had a wonderful storyline, characters and ending.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Final Fantasy Tactics in general had a wonderful storyline, characters and ending.

Absolutely. Too bad the English translation was among the worst in history.

I had a general sense of what happened, but had to read a re-translation of some of the dialog to get some of the deeper nuances.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The conclusion to Red Dead Redemption I thought was terrific.

It's poetic in a way.

A ruthless outlaw does his best to get away from that life to live with his family, going as far to help the feds bring his former comrades down. His reward? He gets f***ed over and his son resolves this wrong by...essentially becoming a ruthless outlaw.

Great circle of life type storytelling.

Reactions: BruinDust

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yep. I would argue that it visually holds up the best out of all the FFs as well. It does the "evoking power through framing and deceptively simple sprites" thing better than just about anything.

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad