Best VAN draft picks after Bure, selections 91-120

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It would be interesting to start a new series of threads (one at a time) with a poll where we can vote on the best player we ever drafted (wether they ended up playing for us or not ) at round #9, #8, #7... and so on...

I guess that might be a little time consuming if there isn't a website that lists our draft history organized by rounds. I've been looking, but haven't found one yet.
Now looking at what is today the 4th round – picks 91–120.

Oh wait, this is the Pavel Bure collection? Okay, today we look at everyone else other than him, because duh.

Remember, picks are organized in groups of 30, rather than what round they were at the time (as though the league always had 30 teams).

The selections are color-coded for position, and ordered in descending number of games played.

Picks 91-120 (Current 4th round):

90-120-a_zps1zplaoxb.png

90-120-b_zpsur1e7zzz.png

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Adrian Aucoin gets my vote here - and quite easily.

edit:

oops, for some odd reason, didn't see Edler's name but I'd still rank Aucoin over him because of more consistancy.

Last edited:

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Yeah, Edler will probably take this because he's still currently playing, but Aucoin was a legit top-2 defender for a long time, and was a consistent, dependable player and tough minute eater for pretty much his entire career. Criminally underrated.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yeah, Edler will probably take this because he's still currently playing, but Aucoin was a legit top-2 defender for a long time, and was a consistent, dependable player and tough minute eater for pretty much his entire career. Criminally underrated.

And they traded him for Cloutier :|

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
IMO Edler would be on top if he can extend his career into his mid 30s. To me, Aucoin's level of play and longevity give him the edge.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
TFW we've drafted a Taylor Hall, a Price, a Subban, a Nolan, and a Dubinsky but none were the ones you dream of.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Think this is pretty easily Aucoin. He was a top-20 defender through his peak, arguably top-10 for a decent chunk of it. Edler's never reached those heights.

You can only track Corsi back to 2007, but even from 2007-2012 (at ages 34-38), Aucoin was an outstanding possession player.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
IMO Edler would be on top if he can extend his career into his mid 30s. To me, Aucoin's level of play and longevity give him the edge.

Edler's "valley's" give Aucoin the advantage IMHO. When Edler's been bad, he's been very bad. Course, I'd say the reverse as well (he had some fairly dominant periods in the post-season).

Think this is pretty easily Aucoin. He was a top-20 defender through his peak, arguably top-10 for a decent chunk of it. Edler's never reached those heights.

You can only track Corsi back to 2007, but even from 2007-2012 (at ages 34-38), Aucoin was an outstanding possession player.
I'd say this was Burkie's worst move as the Canucks GM from a hockey standpoint (from a non-hockey standpoint - his treatment of Zezel was essentially Mike Keenan type of levels).

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
TFW we've drafted a Taylor Hall, a Price, a Subban, a Nolan, and a Dubinsky but none were the ones you dream of.
I actually didn't know about this Taylor Hall, even though he played a handful of games for the Canucks (just slightly before I began following the team). It kind of astounds me that there was a guy called "Taylor" born in the mid-'60s.

Brent Tully, Canada World Junior Captain!
There were very high hopes for him; he was certainly more heralded than Aucoin following that draft. And now the poor guy doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry.

I'd say this was Burkie's worst move as the Canucks GM from a hockey standpoint (from a non-hockey standpoint - his treatment of Zezel was essentially Mike Keenan type of levels).
Aucoin was really just dealt because Crawford had (for some reason) put him in his doghouse, so he was an easy piece to move to secure Dan "Is Our Number One Guy" Cloutier. I place the blame on Crawford for that one.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Aucoin was really just dealt because Crawford had (for some reason) put him in his doghouse, so he was an easy piece to move to secure Dan "Is Our Number One Guy" Cloutier. I place the blame on Crawford for that one.
True.

And heh, I give ALL the credit to Crawford for his man crush on Cloutier where we were able to get not just one draft pick but TWO draft picks for dealing Cloutier to the Kings when we Nonis just obtained Luongo (GM's had to know that Nonis was in a bind as he couldn't very well go into the season with something like 10+ million in cap space on goalies - good thing Crawford was the coach of the Kings then).

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Aucoin's career is hilarious because you look back and it's a non-stop sequence of teams getting rid of him, and then missing the playoffs for a while. Hugely underrated guy. Near-elite even strength player IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad