Best use of cap and picks

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
yeah I saw that thread, I would absolutely love to have Carlo

would give up 18 + another nice piece if Boston wanted, but I can't see how they would trade him especially with Chara likely on his way out
Agreed on all of this
Yeah Id give up like that 18th pick + mcleod + something else to get Carlo. He is perfect for what we need
He first plus would have to be more than McLeod. I'd imagine it starts with Foote or Boqvist.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I can’t why Boston would trade Carlo though. He’s due for a raise after this season but in the end you get paid for offensive production so will it won’t be huge and he would be tough for them to replace. Going low rent on defense is how they stuck themselves with 3 more years of John Moore’s contract and Carlo at 23 is a controlled asset. They can trade him next off-season if the salary increase really is an issue and that would give them time see if any of their young depth defensemen can contribute more, this is a win now team and his trade value will still be there.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I hear ya but Sven is buried in Bing or even bought out (hes no worse than Rooney). Loui plays (switch to Sutter 1x4.3?), Lind and Woo are in Bing
Lind and Woo are the prizes here

My ideal offseason:

Trade Mike McLeod to Edmonton for James Neal + 14th overall.

Trade PK Subban (50% retained) to Nashville for 11th overall + Kyle Turris.

I believe there is one problem with these however. In the newly signed CBA agreement, all previously voided No Trade Clauses have been reinstated.

CBA §11.8 amended to provide that No-Trade and No-Move clauses shall always travel with the Player in the event of an Assignment (by Trade or Waivers) of the SPC.

So players like Subban, Stepan, Bjugstad, etc all may have their NTC protection reinstated.

Here is how Frank Seravalli laid it out --

> No-trade/no-move clauses: All no-trade and no-move clauses will travel with the player in a trade, even if the player is traded before the clause kicks in.

Example: The Montreal Canadiens traded defenceman
days before his no-move clause kicked in. The Nashville Predators, the team that acquired Subban, subsequently voided Subban’s no-move clause, then making him susceptible later to a trade to New Jersey.

I have seen questions about whether these changes apply going forward or to all contracts and beat reporters for Arizona and Pittsburgh seemed to think they apply going back (in their cases for Stepan and Bjugstad).

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Turris has FOUR more years at 6m on that deal so I don’t see anything good about this. Nashville would be super excited since Turris has been unproductive and if not outright bad there since the trade.

I've not watched Nashville much at all but analytics guys were arguing that Turris was playing far better than he got credit for. Could be good value.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
i thought about Turris. and i thought it could be a move, especially if they transfer a pick.

Statistically he hasn't been great. And that's a long contract. His career high was 64 points in a full season. If that contract was cheaper I'd be interested. But... doesn't seem like a good move

Reactions: Guttersniped

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Really hoping that Vancouver is sold on Demko and willing to move on from Markstrom.

Maybe we can try to get them to take Schneider for Eriksson. A lot easier to hide a forward and Ericsson could just be our veteran fourth line forward for next season.

Defenders like Sergachev or Dunn might be attainable depending on how those teams approach the off-season. If Pietrangelo hits UFA, Devils should try a big pitch for him as well, he would fill a much needed void.

Other than that, I would look to target a veteran two-way forward who can move up and down the line-up for cheap. Bozak or Killorn are the first names to mind.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Trade market options for our needs. Some UFA options to fill the same voids but just for discussion.

Solid Veteran Forwards that may come as "Cap dumps" but are still quality options:

Alex Killorn/Tyler Johnson
Tyler Bozak
Derek Stepan
Michael Ferland
Carl Hagelin/Richard Panik
Nick Bjugstad
Ryan Dzingel
Gustav Nyquist/Boone Jenner
Dustin Brown/Jeff Carter
Bobby Ryan/Artem Anisimov

Washed up fourth liners as cap dumps:

Louie Eriksson
Alexander Steen

Defenders to target:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Alex Goligoski/Niklas Hjalmarsson/Jason Demers (if they come cheap as one-year cap dumps)
Hampus Lindholm/Cam Fowler
Shayne Gostisbehere
Keith Yandle (depends how much salary Florida is planning to cut but a little too old)
Michael Matheson (that term is worrisome though)
Rasmus Ristolainen/Colin Miller/Jake McCabe
Vince Dunn
Mikhail Sergachev
Jonas Brodin (with extension preferably)
Ryan Murray/David Savard/Markus Nutivaara (as one-year trial with possible extensions)
Nikita Zadorov (might go UFA as Colorado may not want to qualify that 3.1 million AAV)

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Trade market options for our needs. Some UFA options to fill the same voids but just for discussion.

Solid Veteran Forwards that may come as "Cap dumps" but are still quality options:

Alex Killorn/Tyler Johnson
Tyler Bozak
Derek Stepan
Michael Ferland
Carl Hagelin/Richard Panik
Nick Bjugstad
Ryan Dzingel
Gustav Nyquist/Boone Jenner
Dustin Brown/Jeff Carter
Bobby Ryan/Artem Anisimov

Washed up fourth liners as cap dumps:

Louie Eriksson
Alexander Steen

Defenders to target:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Alex Goligoski/Niklas Hjalmarsson/Jason Demers (if they come cheap as one-year cap dumps)
Hampus Lindholm/Cam Fowler
Shayne Gostisbehere
Keith Yandle (depends how much salary Florida is planning to cut but a little too old)
Rasmus Ristolainen/Colin Miller/Jake McCabe
Vince Dunn
Mikhail Sergachev
Jonas Brodin (with extension preferably)
Ryan Murray/David Savard/Markus Nutivaara (as one-year trial with possible extensions)
Nikita Zadorov (might go UFA as Colorado may not want to qualify that 3.1 million AAV)
According to CapFriendly:

FORWARDS:
Alex Killorn (modified NTC w/ 16 team list)
Tyler Johnson (full NTC)
Tyler Bozak (modified NTC w/ 10 team list)
Derek Stepan (nothing)
Micheal Ferland (full NMC)
Carl Hagelin (nothing but he has 3 years left & not sure the Caps are interested in moving him on his cheap deal.)
Richard Panik (ditto)
Nick Bjugstad (Nothing, I’d consider him a straight up cap dump after his year plus his contract is back loaded so while his cap hit is 4.1m he makes 5.25m)
Ryan Dzingel (nothing)
Gustav Nyquist (nothing but it’s a big contract that Columbus doesn’t need to move, and they might not want to at all, so not sure what the play is here.)
Boone Jenner (nothing but I can only see him moving because the Blue Jackets are selling high when teams are looking to get physical for the playoff and we aren’t at that stage.)
Dustin Brown (modified NTC with a 7 team list)
Jeff Carter (Nothing, but his deal was back loaded so he only makes 2m, he wears an “A” and LA has tons of cap space so they won’t move him unless they get a great return and why would we give up a lot for Carter?)
Bobby Ryan (modified NTC with a 10 team list)
Artem Anisimov (nothing)
Loui Eriksson (modified NTC w/ 15 team list)

DEFENSE:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson (NMC)
Alex Goligoski (modified NTC w/ 8 team list)
Niklas Hjalmarsson (NMC)
Jason Demers (nothing)
Hampus Lindholm (nothing)
Cam Fowler (modified NTC w/ 4 team list)
Ghost Bear (nothing)
Keith Yandle (NMC)
Micheal Matheson (nothing)
Rasmus Ristolainen (nothing)
Colin Miller (nothing)
Jake McCabe (nothing)
Vince Dunn (nothing)
Mikhail Sergachev (nothing)
Jonas Brodin (nothing)
Ryan Murray (nothing)
David Savard (nothing)
Markus Nutivaara (nothing)
Nikita Zadorov (nothing)

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Seeing that Florida has the 11th overall pick for this draft reminded me of a couple of instances:

- At the 2014 Draft, allegedly the Coyotes and Flames agreed to a trade which would have sent the 12th overall pick and Mike Ribeiro to Calgary. According to Darren Dreger, Ribeiro used his NTC to block the trade. Phoenix bought Ribeiro out a couple days later. He had three years left on his contract at 5.5 AAV, the buyout cost them 12 million over six years.

- A little over a year after being the 11th overall pick, the Panthers dealt Lawson Crouse to dump the remaining three years of Dave Bolland's deal (5.5 AAV). Here's a quote from their GM at the time:

“We got criticized for giving up on a great young prospect but we had to,” (GM Tom) Rowe said. “That contract was strangling us, cap-wise

- Matheson has a rough deal with 6 years at 4.875 AAV, but 32 mil in remaining cash. Is it plausible that they could sell of their pick to try to get out of that deal? Is that contract simply too expensive and the pick wouldn't be enough? Florida has plenty of cap space, so maybe they can handle being stuck with Matheson's deal for the time being.

- Matheson has 9 points in 11 career games against the Devils (two coming in that game last season when he was demoted to being a 4th line winger). He reminds me of Dave Tanabe back in the day who just seemed to have our number for no good reason.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If Matheson is a promising reclamation project then his age helps because he’ll be 32 when his deal ends in six years. That said, he’s been a mess in Florida and no draft pick alone is worth taking a bad multi-year deal like that on. We don’t have a bad contract to swap either, unlike Nashville with Turris and on the trade board fans from both teams agree that a Turris-Matheson deal makes sense for both sides.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'll take Matheson if we can upgrade Pick 20 to Pick 12.

Maybe a deal that involves Butcher.

If we were taking the contract, I'd want pick #12 outright without giving up pick #20. Dumping Ribeiro would have cost the Coyotes pick #12 (in a weaker draft) and he was only due half of what Matheson has remaining. But as Guttersniped mentioned, Florida might have other options like the proposed Turris swap that both fan bases seem to be okay with.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
FWIW, Crouse was dealt with Bolland for a 3rd round pick and a conditional 2nd which was realized. Not quite the haul it appears to be. That said, I don't think we have much historical precedent for the coming trade market. We've no idea how much teams are valuing dollars versus picks. Pittsburgh appeared to view dollars much higher than it would have normally but we can't be sure of that.

Reactions: My3Sons

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
How about this for a scenario.
Vegas is close to re-signing Robin Lehner. Devils acquire Marc-Andre Fleury with Vegas first round pick for the full cap hit.

Then we immediately flip Fleury at 50% retention to another team that needs a starter for two second round picks.

Devils walk away with a late 1st and two 2nds for a $3.5m cap hit on the books for two years.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
With all the assets the devils have (picks/ cap room / prospects ) , I can see a significant improvement of their overall franchise after this offseason .
I hope we get a top paring D , goalie to split with MB , a winger for Hughes and good defensive d all through trade and drafting and UFA

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Vegas is close to re-signing Robin Lehner. Devils acquire Marc-Andre Fleury with Vegas first round pick for the full cap hit.

Then we immediately flip Fleury at 50% retention to another team that needs a starter for two second round picks.

Devils walk away with a late 1st and two 2nds for a $3.5m cap hit on the books for two years.

I mean sure but what are we doing with Schneider?

if we keep him, we have Schneider's full hit, MAF's $3.5 and then Blackwood's new contract for $2-3 million

plus I doubt any team would give two 2nds for MAF

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I mean sure but what are we doing with Schneider?

if we keep him, we have Schneider's full hit, MAF's $3.5 and then Blackwood's new contract for $2-3 million

plus I doubt any team would give two 2nds for MAF
Some teams have over 10mil spent on two goalies . For a year or two it would be fine to carry MB , Schneider (in the minors ) and someone like Fleury (2 years left )
Devils HAVE to get a goalie that can be the #1 or at the very least split with MB . No way the devils can ride MB as much as they were this season and if they want to make an honest playoff wild card push , Schneider splitting games will not get them there .
Another capable goalie is a need . I can’t see anyone taking Schneider off our hands nor the devils using assets to dump him.
Fleury would be perfect to mentor MB and is only signed for two more years.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't see any way the Devils keep Schneider on the roster (even in the minors) and also pay MAF for 2 years, even at 50%

not something I see the owners doing unfortunately. I am hoping Schneider is bought out or moved somehow and then we get a real backup goalie like Khudobin

Reactions: Darkauron

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I can see the devils add one or more of :(Some are very very unlikely but still possible in my opinion )
M.A Fleury
OEL
Vertanen
Gaudreau
Zadorov
Dunn
Killorn
Letang
M Murray
Demko
T Johnson
Hoffman
Dadonov
Krug

Any of those plus whoever we draft (assuming the 3 first round picks are not traded )

pils many more options that may pop up with teams looking to free up money and have the devils take on cap.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I wouldn't mind a lot of those guys but the problem is what does it cost to attain them?

OEL for example is not something I am super interested in paying a premium for given his contract and decline in play

I think Torey Krug is a really nice player, but not really the type of player we need unless we are shipping Butcher out

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Vegas could just trade him with 50% retention. They don't have major cap issues this year because just about everyone is under contract (they have 11 forwards, 6 dmen and a goalie under contract). Even clearing off 3.5 from MAF gives them pretty much enough to have ELC replacements for their departing vets. If they need a little more cap space, it will be nominal, and you'll likely see them trade someone like Nick Holden for a late round pick

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Vegas will have takers for Fleury without having to add a first or any top tier prospects. He is still a very capable goalie and only has two years left. I see them retaining salary vs. adding an asset along with Fleury

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Vegas will have takers for Fleury without having to add a first or any top tier prospects. He is still a very capable goalie and only has two years left. I see them retaining salary vs. adding an asset along with Fleury

Same here. Retaining isn't ideal, but at least he has value at 3.5 - 4.5 in cap hit. They can work around that for the next two years as well. Someone will give a mid round pick for him if he's being retained

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Vegas could just trade him with 50% retention. They don't have major cap issues this year because just about everyone is under contract (they have 11 forwards, 6 dmen and a goalie under contract). Even clearing off 3.5 from MAF gives them pretty much enough to have ELC replacements for their departing vets. If they need a little more cap space, it will be nominal, and you'll likely see them trade someone like Nick Holden for a late round pick
Maybe MAF is a bad example, but I think being a middleman is the right idea. It's very possible we can broker a deal with our cap space and accru some draft picks in the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad