Best USA hockey States

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I was growing up in Dallas when the North Stars relocated their. Ten years later when I moved hockey had really caught on.

I’ve now have been in Austin, TX for about ten years where the AHL team is and we’ve got plenty of fans as well, nothing compared to northern states of course but still.

25 years ago though; Hockey... in Texas... Ha.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
The Devils have 2 players on the team from Texas. I can see that as being an emerging market for talent.

New Jersey has been growing with hockey talent in the last 20 years but it’s still a bit too new. I think we’ve gone from something like 20 high school programs in 1995 to 161 today, including expanding to a separate girls hockey program. So the talent should follow.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
"Adding "eh" to a sentence can indicate the speaker's willingness to accept dissent or to invite further discussion. Has been referred to as an "articulated question mark."

The interpretation of "eh" as carrying meaning beyond other routine interjections (huh?) is supposed to be uniquely Canadian. "Ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed" is how the Canadian Oxford Dictionary puts it.
"Let's do something, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'do you agree?'
"We could get a pizza, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'if you would like to'
"I don't know about that, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'but perhaps I might be convinced if you explained further'
"What's that, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'I would appreciate, friend of mine, hearing your interpretation'
"The beer's cheap here, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'so what would you like to do about that'
"It's after last call, eh?" -- where 'eh' is 'were you aware'"

"An interjection or prompt spoken by Canadians.
Equivalent to the American "huh?" or "right?"
Usually used to prompt a person to respond to what was said. or to indicate a lack of understanding.
1) Joe: That girl is hot, eh?
Dave: You're damn right.

2) Dave: The dog is red and the sky is grey.
Joe: Eh??"

This is the first lesion in Canadian 101

Reactions: Riddum
Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
I’m surprised how not popular it is here in Vermont, given we’re wedged between the hockey hotbeds of Montreal and Boston. Perhaps it’s because nowhere in the state is flat enough to build a rink.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The Devils have 2 players on the team from Texas. I can see that as being an emerging market for talent.

New Jersey has been growing with hockey talent in the last 20 years but it’s still a bit too new. I think we’ve gone from something like 20 high school programs in 1995 to 161 today, including expanding to a separate girls hockey program. So the talent should follow.

New Jersey's high school hockey programs and youth clubs have effectively *exploded* over the last two decades. Couple that with the fact that the Garden State is effectively home to three NHL fan bases (even though only one matters :naughty:) and New Jersey is supremely underrated as a hockey hotbed.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
It's still Minnesota, New York and Massachusetts (Maine and North Dakota, too - but the population is so sparse) but I'm very encouraged by the expansion in other cities/states - starting to see a lot of kids from non-traditional markets showing up.

Jokerit 16

Feb 8, 2018
Finland
Thanks for answers!

Next question is: What state would be in future uprising by potential.? New markets are key positiong..

California has lot of potential to challenge those main states in future?

I live in Finland and Thanks for advance to everybody

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Minnesota’s gotta be up there. Having moved here earlier this year I can say that it’s pretty comparable to a Canadian city in terms of buzz around hockey. High school hockey is pretty big too across both boys and girls.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Seems pretty clear.

Minnesota: 57,634
New York: 50,103
Michigan: 48,739
Massachusetts: 48,575

And if we go by per capita:

Minnesota: .0103
Massachusetts: .0071
Michigan: .0049
New York: .0025

Keep in mind, in Minnesota the high school hockey players don’t register with USA Hockey, so Minnesota’s participation numbers are actually higher.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I’m surprised how not popular it is here in Vermont, given we’re wedged between the hockey hotbeds of Montreal and Boston. Perhaps it’s because nowhere in the state is flat enough to build a rink.
It has to compete with skiing at the grassroots level.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Minnesota remains the clear top dog of American hockey.

St. Louis is starting to produce some great players. I bet Chicago will eventually...a lot of young kids who grew up watching Kane/Toews will have taken up the sport.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Most people know Western NY is huge on hockey. But Northern NY is hockey crazy as well. St. Lawrence-Clarkson is the super bowl up there.

I’d probably go:

Minny
NY
Michigan
Mass

Reactions: paulmm3

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That’s because Vermont chose to take on Canada in maple syrup production and not hockey players. :ha:

Reactions: Denzil

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Arizona is actually starting to produce some talent. STL and Cali too

A lot of kids of Canadians playing on American team helping you guys eh ;)

In a thread about great hockey states, you mention Arizona??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In terms of talent level of youth programs

1) Minnesota
gap

2) Michigan
3) Massachusetts/Upstate New York/New England area ( I know multiple states, but one region)

Big Gap

Distant 4th is Illinois, and then probably California believe it or not.
The only surprising part is the missing Pennsylvania having two storied NHL franchizes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->