Best undrafted goalies avialable?

tarrin8

May 3, 2011
Canada BC
who are the best undrafted goalies avialable right now ?
is there anyone available right now or thats just been signed that could make an impact in the NHL right way like gustavsson or Bobrovsky?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
As a Slovak, i have to mention Julis Hudacek.
He was the best golie in Slovak league for 3 years, won 3 titles, his statistics are far above the Slovak league level. And he is only 22.

He said, he has some offers from NHL clubs.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Petri Vehanen from finland. He's most likely the best goalie at europe right now. but hes 33 years old.

Last edited:

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Goalies are pretty hard to judge, but Finnish SM-Liiga has many good goalies who could make impact like Bäckström or Niemi has done.

Ducks also signed Iiro Tarkki couple days ago, so it seems that I'm not the only one who does think this way.

Here are some top UFA goalies from Europe:
Petri Vehanen, AK Bars Kazan (KHL)
Konstantin Barulin, Atlant Moscow Oblast (KHL)
Jakub Stepanek, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Viktor Fasth, AIK (SWE)
Niko Hovinen, Pelicans (FIN)
Teemu Lassila, HPK (FIN) (Just signed with KHL team)

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Goalies are pretty hard to judge, but Finnish SM-Liiga has many good goalies who could make impact like Bäckström or Niemi has done.

Ducks also signed Iiro Tarkki couple days ago, so it seems that I'm not the only one who does think this way.

Here are some top UFA goalies from Europe:
Petri Vehanen, AK Bars Kazan (KHL)
Konstantin Barulin, Atlant Moscow Oblast (KHL)
Jakub Stepanek, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
Viktor Fasth, AIK (SWE)
Niko Hovinen, Pelicans (FIN)
Teemu Lassila, HPK (FIN) (Just signed with KHL team)
Not to derail this thread, but I found this guy a couple months ago and was intrigued..
Do you know (or anyone else who may know) if Minnesota still holds his rights?

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Not to derail this thread, but I found this guy a couple months ago and was intrigued..
Do you know (or anyone else who may know) if Minnesota still holds his rights?

No, Minnesota decided to give up his rights, which was really stupid move in my opinion. Hovinen really has huge potential, and now when former NHL goalie Pasi Nurminen is coaching him, he's starting to reach that potential.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I think OP meant undrafted goalie prospects in Europe who could step in immediately. Petri Vehanen is good, but hes also 33

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I think OP meant undrafted goalie prospects in Europe who could step in immediately. Petri Vehanen is good, but hes also 33

Martin Brodeur and Tim Thomas, both top 10 goalies in the world, are 39 and 37, so I don't think that Vehanen would be too old to step in immediately, because he could probably be a starter right away.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
No, Minnesota decided to give up his rights, which was really stupid move in my opinion. Hovinen really has huge potential, and now when former NHL goalie Pasi Nurminen is coaching him, he's starting to reach that potential.
Thanks for the quick answer.
It will be interesting to see what happens with him.
Who would you say he's most similar to in terms of style?

Also, to contribute to the topic, I might as well add the obvious and currently hyped Leonardo Genoni.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
I hope some NHL club picks up Victor Fasth. He has been a stud in SEL this season, and two clean sheets so far in his WC debut tournament obviously doesn't hurt his chances

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Who would you say he's most similar to in terms of style?

Hovinen is big goalie (6'5/196cm - 6'7/201cm, depending on the source), and uses his size effectively. Covers the net really well. He has good, calm butterfly technique. Maybe this isn't the most flattering comparison, but he's similar to Alex Auld.

Hovinen's biggest problem is his mental side; his self-confidence is low so if he lets in couple easy goals in the beginning, he should be taken off the crease immediately. Also don't know how he can handle the pressure, but he was considered as a 1st round pick in autumn 2005, but had an awful season and fell to 5th round (drafted in 2006), so it doesn't look so good either.

If Hovinen can put his head together, he has all the tools to play in the NHL in future.

HalbertGil*

Lars Haugen (Could get signed because of his WC performance)
Andrei Mezin
Cristopher Nihlstorp
Dmitrij Kotschnew

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Lars Haugen (Could get signed because of his WC performance)
Andrei Mezin
Cristopher Nihlstorp
Dmitrij Kotschnew

I highly doubt it. He's been great in the world championships, but he's clearly on the hottest streak of his career right now. We're seeing the very best of him in this tournament, but he can also look very bad at times.

He's 24 and still not an established #1 goalie in the Norwegian league, so I doubt NHL teams will be looking at him as an option.. He still has a lot to prove..

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
Eero Kilpeläinen from Finland. He was one of the best in the Finnish elite league last year. There's so much potential that I would be surprised if he doesn't get NHL contract. He's got drafted by Dallas Stars but they dont own his rights anymore so he's free to sign where ever he want.

Iiro Tarkki already made a contract with Ducks and I dont think that he's that better than Kilpeläinen.

tarrin8

May 3, 2011
Canada BC
Eero Kilpeläinen from Finland. He was one of the best in the Finnish elite league last year. There's so much potential that I would be surprised if he doesn't get NHL contract. He's got drafted by Dallas Stars but they dont own his rights anymore so he's free to sign where ever he want.

Iiro Tarkki already made a contract with Ducks and I dont think that he's that better than Kilpeläinen.

i seem to like Iiro Tarkki chances of playing in the NHL next year , with Hiller having some head problems and emery has hip problems plus he UFA again, so i like his chances at playing in the NHL.

Does Dallas still own Eero Kilpelainen rights? i looked him up and he was drafted by dallas, but he did have a very good year in SM-liiga 933 sv% 2.05 GAA 24w 12l 17t ....

i like the chances of both these guys playing in the NHL next year just need to wait and see if Kilpelainen gets signed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->