Best U-25 Groups In the Nhl - 1

Best u-25

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
HF might be the most pedantic place in the whole interwebz when it comes to casual discussions about "__ & under" rankings. OP gave a clear cutoff point, so who cares how it's labeled?

Reactions: Mitch nylander

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I assumed u25 would include 25 year olds. So really this is u24
No, u24 is 23 & under as of whatever cutoff date set for that event/season etc. This measure is pretty universal across all sports.

Why would 25 year olds be included in a group called specifically under 25?

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why would 25 year olds be included in a group called specifically under 25? This measure seems pretty universal across all sports?

No, u24 is 23 & under as of whatever cutoff date set for that event/season etc.

Yeah but in other sports the cutoff date is often whenever the qualifying cycle kicks up, not when the tourney starts. So you will have 23 year olds who will be eligible for the U21 World Cup or European Championships in football. That’s why where that cutoff is, matters far more than the label used.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah but in other sports the cutoff date is often whenever the qualifying cycle kicks up, not when the tourney starts. So you will have 23 year olds who will be eligible for the U21 World Cup or European Championships in football. That’s why where that cutoff is, matters far more than the label used.
Fair enough. I don’t follow European football but it’s pretty standard in NA that the U means under as of x date. You’ll sometimes have players turn the age right before or during, but they were under as of x date.

I can’t imagine a scenario where there’d be 23 year olds playing in U21 which, by definition, should be 20 year olds.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Fair enough. I don’t follow European football but it’s pretty standard in NA that the U means under as of x date. You’ll sometimes have players turn the age right before or during, but they were under as of x date.

I can’t imagine a scenario where there’d be 23 year olds playing in U21 which, by definition, should be 20 year olds.

Yeah, I’ve also noticed that NAs tend to read that as “under-X” more, while Europeans often read it as “X-and-under”. So kids who were 21 when the cutoff date for qualifying started, can play in the 21-and-under EC a year & a half later.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, I’ve also noticed that NAs tend to read that as “under-X” more, while Europeans often read it as “X-and-under”. So kids who were 21 when the cutoff date for qualifying started, can play in the 21-and-under EC a year & a half later.
Oh ok, I had no idea there was so much time between those qualifiers and the actual tournament.

My experiences are mostly growing up playing hockey and basketball - you’d find the odd early/late birthday that might creep in, but for the most part, the team was under their titled number.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh ok, I had no idea there was so much time between those qualifiers and the actual tournament.

My experiences are mostly growing up playing hockey and basketball - you’d find the odd early/late birthday that might creep in, but for the most part, the team was under their titled number.

At the younger levels qualifying is shorter & less spread out...although there too, qualifying has two stages which take the full season to complete; even if each stage actually plays out in less than two weeks of action. There’s just so many more nations competing & levels can change so rapidly amongst the B & C tier nations that you couldn’t break up the competition based on success over the years, like youth hockey does. So even the A-tier nations’ youth teams have to play through a qualifying cycle with minnows before entering the elite-round of qualifying to see who will actually make the tourney.

And because qualifiers are generally played over the course of a few “International breaks” at the professional level, older kids qualifyiers are even more of a logistical nightmare...as clubs are much less willing to let their senior team players leave for youth NT-duty during the season, than their academy members. And at the U21 level almost all of the kids are already playing pro, while at the u19s a significant chunk of the top talents will already be playing pro as well.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
U25 is players up to and including 24 years old. It's simple. Don't know why some are confused

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Usually it'a the age and under. It's like that in hockey too

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Didn't realize Trouba was still U25.

Toronto, Winnipeg, Colorado top 3 IMO.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
MTL/TOR/CGY are top 3. Best group does not mean "1 superstar and 2 great players" = better than "5-6 great players". The 3 teams (MTL/TOR/CGY) all have at least 5+ great players (or great players in the making). WPG and COL also has 5 great players U-25.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Bowers is a more important piece than all of Kerfoot, Kamenev and Jost. We look good on paper, especially with the team holding the Sens pick and trending for a top 5 pick with their own pick as well. We could add two of Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Cozens, Dach ... Still won't mean jack shit without a single decent goalie prospect with a viable NHL future.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
MTL are top 5 no doubt in my mind, i'm maybe bias, but Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi are going to be amazing player. Add player like Poehling, Suzuki, Ylonen, Romanov (who is looks like a steal), Brook, Mete, Primeau (he is going to be a great goalie in the future).

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto.

Also, the top NHL prospect’s first name is Igor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad