Best type of cardio machine to buy

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
I am going to be buying 1 cardio machine for home with the intention to lose weight and also increase endurance and fitness.

I need it to be effective but also manageable day-to-day where I won't dread doing it! So I don't think I would get a treadmill or stair climber. With those 2 ruled out, what would you buy and why?

Also can you recommend any brands?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am going to be buying 1 cardio machine for home with the intention to lose weight and also increase endurance and fitness.

I need it to be effective but also manageable day-to-day where I won't dread doing it! So I don't think I would get a treadmill or stair climber. With those 2 ruled out, what would you buy and why?

Also can you recommend any brands?

Depends on your

1) Budget
2) Available space to either place it or store it
3) How often you plan on using it

cardo machines(atleast here in the UK) can go anywhere from £250 to £5000 depending on what you need it for.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
First thought was stairclimber or a Jacobs ladder but since you want to be able to function I'd say a row machine

iconoclast22

Mar 25, 2015
A jump rope and go outside and do some sprints of various lengths, flat and on hills if you have them. Throw some box jumps in there. If you wanna get fancy, get a kettle bell and do swings. Make a circuit of these. Omit and include each as you like to switch it up. Seriously, save yourself hundreds if not thousands of dollars. No machine will condition you and, with proper diet, melt the fat away like that combo.

Jump rope
Sprint
Box Jumps
Kettle bell swings

Throw calesthenics into the mix, suddenly you're training like a viking and after some months you've got a cardio capacity and lactic threshold that smokes anyone stuck on their machines training like a rodent in a cage.

Last edited:
Reactions: snakeye

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
A jump rope and go outside and do some sprints of various lengths, flat and on hills if you have them. Throw some box jumps in there. If you wanna get fancy, get a kettle bell and do swings. Make a circuit of these. Omit and include each as you like to switch it up. Seriously, save yourself hundreds if not thousands of dollars. No machine will condition you and, with proper diet, melt the fat away like that combo.

Jump rope
Sprint
Box Jumps
Kettle bell swings

Throw calesthenics into the mix, suddenly you're training like a viking and after some months you've got a cardio capacity and lactic threshold that smokes anyone stuck on their machines training like a rodent in a cage.

This reads like a bad crossfit advertisement, complete with recommending someone to jump right into an advanced fitness program with no background or training. Very few people can do sprinting/box jumps/swings with correct technique and without proper training/instruction. Additionally, the OP's goals didn't state anywhere a desire to pillage and plunder?!?

My recommendation would be an indoor bike trainer or rowing machine. The bike trainer allows the flexibility to have an easier ride where you could watch a TV program or a harder one set to a video where you can do sprinting or intervals. You can alternate between those two general types of workouts and use the device 6 times a week if you like with the added benefit of it being low impact to your joints.

iconoclast22

Mar 25, 2015
This reads like a bad crossfit advertisement, complete with recommending someone to jump right into an advanced fitness program with no background or training. Very few people can do sprinting/box jumps/swings with correct technique and without proper training/instruction. Additionally, the OP's goals didn't state anywhere a desire to pillage and plunder?!?

My recommendation would be an indoor bike trainer or rowing machine. The bike trainer allows the flexibility to have an easier ride where you could watch a TV program or a harder one set to a video where you can do sprinting or intervals. You can alternate between those two general types of workouts and use the device 6 times a week if you like with the added benefit of it being low impact to your joints.

Well of course you have to use your own common sense and start slow and work up just like anything else. As for crossfit, I'm actually anti-crossfit for the most part (crossfitters aren't the only ones who use these tools). I'm listing activities that work better than machines, will give this guy faster results, and save him thousands. None of what I listed requires an advanced trainee, but does take practice and patience just like anything else worthwhile. If he starts with 10 jumps on a rope, 1 box jump 2 feet high, then goes and jogs 400 meters, thats great. He'll get there and if he continues to increase his workload, his fitness will soar as the weeks and months pass. I have nothing to gain by recommending over the internet that someone work into these conditioning methods, but the fitness industry has everything to gain by selling you their machines that quite frankly aren't as optimal in meeting the OP's stated intentions: lose weight, increase endurance and fitness.

Last edited:

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002

Seems like good advice.

Would you recommend any name brands for the bike trainer?

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Depends on your

1) Budget
2) Available space to either place it or store it
3) How often you plan on using it

cardo machines(atleast here in the UK) can go anywhere from £250 to £5000 depending on what you need it for.

1) Budget is probably $2000 CAD max.

2) Space is somewhat limited. I have the corner of my garage. A stairclimber or treadmill would likely be too large. While a bike type machine would be reasonable.

3) Plan is to use it 3-4 times/week.

I am 6'1, 245 lbs., I have a athletic build but not enough to feel comfortable at that weight anymore. I need to drop 30-40 lbs. at least.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Seems like good advice.

Would you recommend any name brands for the bike trainer?

Kurt Kinetic Road Machine seems to be the gold standard. They even offer a lifetime warranty. This is assuming you already own a bike to use on the trainer?

The other thing I would highly advise is to use is to measure and record your power output and use that data with an actual training plan. This is what I use: https://www.trainerroad.com

Before using that program last season I had gotten good results on my trainer, but it was unclear how much progress I was making since I relied on my own perception of progress instead of actual data. With the above program I was able to see exactly what my fitness level was at the beginning of the offseason, select a 6-10 week program based on my schedule and goals, and remeasure at the end. Over 4 months I improved my functional threshold power by 22%.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My choices would be

1. Concept 2 rower.
2. Airdyne/Assault air bike.

I have an Airdyne but kind of wish I got a rower, still might though.

The C2 aggravates my back a bit.

I want to get an Assault Air Bike, but I might get a C2 Rower because of what other members of the family want.

Plus, the rower can get out of the way in the basement when it's not in use.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
1) Budget is probably $2000 CAD max.

2) Space is somewhat limited. I have the corner of my garage. A stairclimber or treadmill would likely be too large. While a bike type machine would be reasonable.

3) Plan is to use it 3-4 times/week.

I am 6'1, 245 lbs., I have a athletic build but not enough to feel comfortable at that weight anymore. I need to drop 30-40 lbs. at least.

A C2 Rower (http://www.roguefitness.com/black-concept-2-model-d-rower-pm5 or http://shop.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/298-model-d-with-pm5.html) is nice in that you can stand it up when it's not being used.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Why not start off with an used stationary bike?

People basically give away old ones.

At least to get started it really doesn't matter what kind of equipment you got. Then you might upgrade later if you find that you are actually using it.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
I have decided to get an upright stationary bike. I don't particularly like rowing, don't have room for a stair climber or treadmill.

So now I have no idea what upright bike would be good for what I need. I want to do interval training but I also want the option to do longer fat burning sessions at a lower intensity. I have heard good things about the Schwinn Airdyne bike but not sure if it's versatile enough or not.

Any suggestions of bikes?

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
My choices would be

2. Airdyne/Assault air bike.

I have an Airdyne but kind of wish I got a rower, still might though.

How do you like the Airdyne? Would it be good for interval training and longer low intensity training as well?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I personally like the jump rope suggestion. You don't need to buy equipment - fitness is something you gotta do. And most of it is diet. I would honestly not bother investing in a machine until you've proven to yourself you can commit to the lifestyle change in terms of diet/activity. Then, once you're sure you're on board, spring for a machine to work out at home.

If you're dead set on buying a machine right out of the gate though, definitely look on craigslist and other secondary markets popular in your area. There are always units sold for pennies on the dollar by people that tried to purchase their fitness goal. An elliptical or rower or even a stationary bike would be decent.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
You've got some pretty good advice so far but I would suggest you buy something you will want to use even if you have to move some stuff around to make it fit. There is no use settling for something you don't really want just because this is all you have room for. You might want to consider an elliptical. There are some with a reasonable footprint. Elliptical machines are usually easier on the joints than a treadmill for example and will work both your legs and upper body to an extent. A recumbent bike may be something to consider as well.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Jump rope
Sprint
Box Jumps
Kettle bell swings

Exactly, no machine is needed. Hard work and consistency is all that is required. There are so many variations of great workouts with no or very minimal equipment. Pistol squats, Bulgarian deadlifts, hindu pushups...you'll never run out of progressively more difficult exercise and the variety is what keeps one engaged. Really want to stick to some $2,000 piece of equipment day after day? That's why Craigslist is loaded with this well intended unnecessary crap.

Example: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-whats-an-effective-bodyweight-workout.html

Just get after it man!

Reactions: snakeye

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
How do you like the Airdyne? Would it be good for interval training and longer low intensity training as well?

I've got one too and love it. Usually do 6 intervals in the morning pre breakfast and sometimes a low speed pedal while watching a game in the evening.

Just buy the brand name version, intervals put a lot of stress on the parts.

Hawks Win

Apr 24, 2015
It'd be nice to try stationary bike but don't take anything besides spinning bike.

Also a great way to perform both cardio and strength exercises is to buy a few kettlebells with different weight. If you buy pairs for double exercises it will be perfect.

Go into kettlebells, it is insane way to keep good shape.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Punching Bag

/ thread.

There's no better cardio that doing 3 3min rounds on a punching bag followed by 3 60 sec punchouts. And just to clarify, you go balls to the wall with 100% effort during those rounds. No half-assing here...you should feel close or you're about to puke after each session.

Do that for a month, and I guarantee that you'll lose a ******** of weight and build muscle.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Punching Bag

/ thread.

There's no better cardio that doing 3 3min rounds on a punching bag followed by 3 60 sec punchouts. And just to clarify, you go balls to the wall with 100% effort during those rounds. No half-assing here...you should feel close or you're about to puke after each session.

Do that for a month, and I guarantee that you'll lose a ******** of weight and build muscle.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad