Speculation: Best Trade Partner?

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
Hey All!

Read a post recently that talked about our lines and how our strengths really aren't being reached. Truth of the matter is we have holes on our 2nd line.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
_____ Kesler _____
Higgins Santorelli Hansen
Weise Richardson Kassian

Santorelli/Higgins/Hansen are all fantastic but they aren't able to play the roles they fill best when they're plugged into the 1st and 2nd lines. Higgins is a fantastic two way player that works hard along the boards, can pot some points, and works wonders on our PK. Santorelli has been awesome as a new 2C allowing Kesler to produce on the wing with the Sedins but we shouldn't expect that his production will continue as the season goes on. It's unfair and it's more realistic to use him best against weaker opposition and really allowing him to win some drops. Whereas Hansen being what he is is a fantastic third line wing that produces when possible but more than anything exhausts the other team and runs circles around defenders.

We need players for Kesler. Booth was an experiment that didn't work. Kassian isn't ready. Higgins/Hansen can work out occasionally but aren't consistently on the same level as Kes. Burrows would work well but that leaves a hole with the Sedins.

Who can we trade with and what would it take?

NYR: Callahan? Hagelin? Dorsett?
NJ: Ryder? Brunner? Jagr?
BUF: Stafford? Kaleta? Moulson?
PHI: Hartnell? Simmonds? Downie? B. Schenn?
WAS: Grabovski? Erat? Brouwer? Ward?
OTT: Bobby Ryan?

Obviously some of those names would cost an arm and a leg - or be near impossible. But who would you part with to have them? Obviously the tangibles are what they are in regards to realistic pieces.

I feel like if we can upgrade our 2nd line to producing levels - we should. We have a good crop of young guns in training but sometimes you gotta sacrifice to win now. With the Sedins our only reliable points and the team struggling when they realistically shut down Henrik - it's going to be tough and we need to give the pieces for Torts to start working the lines to where it makes sense.

Tanev? Kassian? Jensen? Gaunce?

I think we should pay big to either find a first line player for the twins to allow Burr to fall to the 2nd with Kesler, or push for two 2nd line and pay for it if necessary.

If rumours are true and Cammaleri is an 'option' we should only take it if it's cheap and removes Booth. Otherwise we should make the proper play and fill the roles needed.

Any other teams with players that would make a good fit?

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
New Jersey. Brunner - Kesler - Jagr could be a great line, though of course, it might take a lot to acquire both of those players.

A dream scenario for me involves Vancouver acquiring Ryder and one of Brunner and Jagr.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I'm with 0bjective on this one: team shouldn't sacrifice assets to bring in pieces that MAY give the team a better shot at going far in the playoffs. IMO, you only do that if the team is already a contender and wants to get over the top (ie. Boston trying to acquire Iginla last year, etc.).

The Canucks are no longer the powerhouse from 2011 and shouldn't sacrifice the already bare cupboard for players that won't push them over the top. I think this team, if its assets are managed correctly, can undergo a quick retool (nothing like the Oilers) and be back on top within 2 years.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
To be dead honest with you guys, I'd rather sell than buy this year.

For that reason I think our best trade partners are Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Unfortunately we don't have a whole lot to sell due to the NTCs. Our best trade asset might be Tanev and Santorelli as sad as that is. I don't see either of those guys getting a worthwhile return.

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
New Jersey. Brunner - Kesler - Jagr could be a great line, though of course, it might take a lot to acquire both of those players.

A dream scenario for me involves Vancouver acquiring Ryder and one of Brunner and Jagr.

Who'd you give for it?

The all too familiar chip of Tanev always comes up. But would you consider including Kassian to help make it happen with Ryder involved?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Who'd you give for it?

The all too familiar chip of Tanev always comes up. But would you consider including Kassian to help make it happen with Ryder involved?

New Jersey has to forfeit its first-round pick this year, so a trade for those players starts with Vancouver's own first. Tanev for two of them? I'd do it without hesitation. Tanev is the best trade chip Vancouver has right now, and can be replaced by Frank Corrado immediately. As for Kassian, that's hard to say. However, I get the vibe that Hunter Shinkaruk could usurp his position on the depth chart immediately. I could be crazy, but I feel that he could flank Kesler right off the bat next season...

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Best trade partner is anyone who will take Booth for a 7th.

Second best is any team that Edler will waive his NTC to go to.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Those 3 NJ players were all free for the Canucks to sign this past offseason...

NJ might make for a decent trade partner to dump salary to though.

NYR makes for a good partner considering they have good C depth. Beyond them, there's always FLA, PHI for the Cs, and I think CLB could make for a good partner too, depending on who they are willing to move.

Last edited:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
In theory, our best trade partner is Edmonton...

They have good, young forwards at their disposal.
We have a surplus of decent D-men, and we are even deep in young goaltenders.

I mean, RNH REALLY wanted to be drafted by us...

But... it's Edmonton. We're just going to have to wait until these guys' contracts are up and they don't want to play there anymore, because everyone (especially Gillis) is terrified of trading within the division for some stupid reason.

I would be totally fine with helping Edmonton take some points away from the rest of the teams in our division. I don't know about you guys...

Betamax*

Best trade partner is anyone who will take Booth for a 7th.

Second best is any team that Edler will waive his NTC to go to.

Which team do you think is dumb enough to give up an asset (even how little) for Booth? I think if the Canucks were to make a hockey trade for Booth, they would have to give a high draft pick or decent prospect for another team to even considering biting on taking on the financial risk.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Which team do you think is dumb enough to give up an asset (even how little) for Booth? I think if the Canucks were to make a hockey trade for Booth, they would have to give a high draft pick or decent prospect for another team to even considering biting on taking on the financial risk.

I didn't say someone would do it, lol. But dont you agree that if someone were that stupid, they would be the best trade partner ever?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The Canucks have limited trade options because guys do not want to come here. THe NJ guys, for example, could have signed here and chose not to. Why trade for them, now?

Simply adding another winger isn't going to fix anything because if the guy can skate Torts will plunk him on the Sedin line and the second line will still be non functional.

Canucks must have known this roster would not be able to work with Tortorella. Torts must have mentioned it. So, it looks like they didn't bother. That's crazy, though, right? Well, remember Malhotra? He was utterly done, but the Canucks did not axe him because they are all buddies. Okay, now look at the roster again and tell me they did everything they could to prepare the team for Tortorella.

Canucks have to grow some and do the right thing for the team, even if it means somebody gets hurt feelings and his wife cries. Even if it means eating a massive contract that was just a monument to the owner's ego. Instead they are running the team into the ground before our eyes, too timid to change. The Schneider trade cost them any lingering chance at free agents because it proved they are idiots. These same FAs who laughed and went elsewhere for far less money are not going to embrace a trade to Vancouver.

It's over and this is what it looks like.

Betamax*

The Canucks have limited trade options because guys do not want to come here. THe NJ guys, for example, could have signed here and chose not to. Why trade for them, now?

Simply adding another winger isn't going to fix anything because if the guy can skate Torts will plunk him on the Sedin line and the second line will still be non functional.

Canucks must have known this roster would not be able to work with Tortorella. Torts must have mentioned it. So, it looks like they didn't bother. That's crazy, though, right? Well, remember Malhotra? He was utterly done, but the Canucks did not axe him because they are all buddies. Okay, now look at the roster again and tell me they did everything they could to prepare the team for Tortorella.

Canucks have to grow some and do the right thing for the team, even if it means somebody gets hurt feelings and his wife cries. Even if it means eating a massive contract that was just a monument to the owner's ego. Instead they are running the team into the ground before our eyes, too timid to change. The Schneider trade cost them any lingering chance at free agents because it proved they are idiots. These same FAs who laughed and went elsewhere for far less money are not going to embrace a trade to Vancouver.

Uh, I think the main reason why the Canucks weren't really active in the UFA market this season was because of the shrinking cap for this season, therefore they didn't have the cap space to even be in the mix for the upper echelon of UFAs.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC

Also, cap space. Canucks didn't have any.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

What a massive pile of ill-informed vomit. I sincerely do NOT endorse this post.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

I agree in Part. I dont want to see us giving up any assets or futures without the player returning being for a term (I.E 2+ years), Resignable, and perferable cheaper/younger.

I am open to a Hockey Trade. I would love to see an Evander Kane or Schenn added but I am not sure its available.

I think we are in a position to sell a couple parts and make room for some free agents. The question then becomes are they signable at a resonable cost and will they select Vancouver. It is possible in doing so that we will we be blocking spots for guys that could be ready (horvat etc.)

Booth is an obvious move, But if you think young players will be ready and need a couple years, then I would trade Edler, Burrows etc and only keep the true core of the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Garrison and in this context Tanev and Kassian (I would also advocate keeping hanson due to his contract).

I think at this point Management is mulling this very thing over and its hard to peg at this point on how Horvat etc. project to do next year.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada

The only way I'd be willing to buy is if its a real addition to the line up, not a rental, not someone who's done in four years.

So yeah, I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad