"Best trade is that, that never hapen" examples

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
some GM said something like this - "Best trade is that, that never hapen" .
can you give me some examles of that?

Ahh...Orr not traded as a rookie for a bag of pucks?

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yzerman to Ottawa for whatever. Bowman has more recently stated that he never would have traded him, not to mention that Ilitch never would have allowed it, but either way, that's the one for me. Wings were also rumored to be in the running for Lindros and that would have been a trainwreck.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
In 2003, the Devils were set to trade Scott Gomez to San Jose for Teemu Selanne. Selanne used his no-trade clause to veto the trade. The Devils went on to win the Stanley Cup that year.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash for Lindros......wait a minute...

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
For the Habs:

Pretty sure there was some talk of a Doug Harvey for Terry Sawchuk trade. Would have made the Wings unbeatable since they had Glenn Hall coming up. They would have had the best forward line in league history with the production line and by FAR the best top 3 on defense ever in Harvey-Kelly-Pronovost. Makes the Robinson-Savard-Lapointe trio look pretty silly in comparison. Funny thing is, I think Montreal was set to do it and it was Jack Adams who pulled the plug. Detroit may have won 7 or 8 cups that decade. Possibly in a row...

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
For the Habs:

Pretty sure there was some talk of a Doug Harvey for Terry Sawchuk trade. Would have made the Wings unbeatable since they had Glenn Hall coming up. They would have had the best forward line in league history with the production line and by FAR the best top 3 on defense ever in Harvey-Kelly-Pronovost. Makes the Robinson-Savard-Lapointe trio look pretty silly in comparison. Funny thing is, I think Montreal was set to do it and it was Jack Adams who pulled the plug. Detroit may have won 7 or 8 cups that decade. Possibly in a row...

WOW. that would have been an incredible team.

but instead of that, adams traded hall and lindsay for nothing and sawchuk for nothing, and then traded bucyk to re-acquire sawchuk. :help:

but that team would have been broken up b/c lindsay and harvey were leaders of the union.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
When the Stars traded Iginla I heard they were asked for Todd Harvey but refused to trade him and traded Iginla instead. I don't even want to think about how awful Calgary would have been without getting Iginla.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
For the Habs:

There was also talk in the early 40's of sending a young injury prone forward, Maurice Richard, to the Rangers for a nobody. How history would have been different if that deal had gone down.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
Last year Tomas Kaberle invoked his no trade clause, blocking a trade to Philadelphia for Jeff Carter and potential picks. Think the Flyers are happy about that non-deal now?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
For the Habs:

I think it was Ted Lindsay that said if the Wings had Harvey they'd have easily won the 5 in a row that the Habs won in the 50s. Taking the best player off the second best team and putting him on the best team would certain skew things for a bit.

GNick42

Serge Savard had Patrick Roy almost traded to Colorado for Owen Nolan and Fiset. Colorado called back to finalize the trade and found out Savard had just been canned. In Roy's book, it had Savard in his office cleaning out his desk when LaCroix called back. It was only a matter of minutes.

Ironic how a few minutes could have changed history in Montreal. Habs would have got a good player for Roy instead of junk, the Tremblay feud would never have happened

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY
When the rangers traded for Eric Lindros in 1991 but it was ruled that he was traded to the flyers first. The rangers than went on to trade for Messier

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
For the Habs:

On paper that Detroit team would've looked unbeatable. But I'm not sure how well Harvey and Adams would've meshed personality-wise. While strict, Toe Blake treated the players like adults and gave them some leeway, while Adams had a reputation of being a tyrant. Harvey was a free spirit and likely wouldn't take any crap from Adams.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
When the rangers traded for Eric Lindros in 1991 but it was ruled that he was traded to the flyers first. The rangers than went on to trade for Messier

The Rangers already had Messier when they tried to trade for Lindros. Messier was traded in October, 1991 and the Lindros trades were in June, 1992.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
During Keenan's tenure in Vancouver, he was unimpressed with young Markus Naslund's uninspired play and tried to trade him twice to Ottawa for Stan Neckar (or not even that but rather only a 4th rounder). Right before the trade, Alex Mogilny went down with an injury so Naslund ended up getting some scoring lines duties so Keenan decided to keep him for a bit longer. Naslund ended up scoring 500+ points for Vancouver after the trade - so I guess it was nice that Keenan didn't get his wish.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
During Keenan's tenure in Vancouver, he was unimpressed with young Markus Naslund's uninspired play and tried to trade him twice to Ottawa for Stan Neckar (or not even that but rather only a 4th rounder). Right before the trade, Alex Mogilny went down with an injury so Naslund ended up getting some scoring lines duties so Keenan decided to keep him for a bit longer. Naslund ended up scoring 500+ points for Vancouver after the trade - so I guess it was nice that Keenan didn't get his wish.

To add to this. Naslund requested a trade while Keenan was around. Didn't like getting 4th line minutes while nothing better was happening on the top 3 lines. The one player Keenan doesn't trade while with the Canucks happens to be one of the only decent players left on the team.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Not a trade but speaking of Doug Harvey and the 1950s Red Wings, there was an article a while back in the Canadiens team program about Frank Selke. It said that just prior to Gordie Howe's rookie season, the Wings left him unprotected, so any team could claim him. But Selke called the Wings GM and told him he had a player (who he didn't name) that was very talented and that he'd give him 24hrs to protect him or he'd take him. Imagine Gordie as a Hab! And imagine a GM today giving another a courtesy heads-up like that!

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
I am sure the Leafs are happy in retrospect that they didn't trade Antropov, Kaberle, and a 1st for Lindros in 2001.

Originally it was Markov instead of Karberle, and Quinn didn't want to part with Kabs. Apparently at the same time he was working on a Rob Blake for Sundin straight up but it was nixed because Blake's wife didn't want to go to TO.

But if that trade did happen, perhaps he never would've had the final concussion that Stevens gave him that more than any other single hit finished his career as a first line player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad