Status
Not open for further replies.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I picked 1990 because that is when I became a diehard fan

No particular order in my case

Wendel Clark-A true Crusher who took on all comers and could also score threw one of the best bodychecks I have ever seen when he nailed Bruce Bell behind the net in STL. A cult hero in Toronto for good reason.

Cam Neely-Should make the HOF probably wont was the pattern for the modern Power forward. Only saying that because most of us on this site never saw Gordie play.

Rick Tocchet-True Warrior who I saw score two goals for Pittsburgh while he had a broken jaw and in Warrior fashion he didnt wear a full shield he only had a football like faceguard protecting the Jaw. A ferocious fighter who had a great battle wit Bob Probert that featured plenty of punches and headbutts from both guys.

Gary Roberts- Still playing and still playing old school

Ken Daneyko-When I think about Old School D men who play the game rough and are a pain in the ass to play against Daneyko is one of the first guys to come to mind.

Scott Stevens-Only got to enjoy him in STL for one season but he is still one of my favorite players. Most peop;e know him for his famous open ice hits that could cover a whole thread of there own, but he could also throe em pretty good and did so early in his career. Also he scored a lot of points played solid D and should have won a Norris trophy in my opinion.

Brendan Shanahan-Ironically getting Shanahan cost the Blues Stevens. Shanny is still a Power Forward that is feared when the game gets Physical even though he plays for the hated Wings. His fight card includes the likes of McSorley and Probert so he is legit tough with the mitts off. While he played with the Blues he had some goot tilts with Derian Hatcher who is now his teammate with the hated Wings.

Mark Tinordi-A hard nosed D-man who could take care of the physical stuff, when he was with the Stars he had some great bouts with Robert Dirk and Sergio Momesso who were Blues players at the time.

Kevin Stevens-I dont know much about him but I do know that he had some yearws with awesome stats 50 plus goals 100 points and 200 PIM's I am looking forward to input from Penguin fans.

Dale Hunter- I know that I am going to take some heat for this one but the 1000 points and either 2000 or 3000 PIM's (no stat book in front of me) tells me that Dale needs to be on this list.

Dave Manson-The young dave Manson that played in Chicago definatly needs to be on this list he scored enough points to make an all star team or two would throw visious body checks and would hold his own in the fight dept as well. He and Scott Stevens had a famous scrap in the Old Chicago stadium in 1990-91 when they ent to center ice during a line brawl and manson got the better of Stevens cutting him pretty good.

The list I am sure is far from complete I left off a lot of old guys and have non of the current guys like Iginla who truly seems to be a throwback. This should lead to some interesting and fun discussion during this regretfully dead time for us Hocke fans.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
c-carp said:
Kevin Stevens-I dont know much about him but I do know that he had some yearws with awesome stats 50 plus goals 100 points and 200 PIM's I am looking forward to input from Penguin fans.

Stevens was a notch below Tocchet in termes of toughness/fighting IMO, but had a bit more skill. He was talented, but his numbers were obviously helped along by playing with Mario and the rest of the highly skilled Pens.

He was never the same player after he essentially broke his face, which I think was during the 94 playoffs.

Others to add to the list:

Eric Lindros, when healthy the best power forward. Period.

Keith Tkachuk, more known for his stickwork than his fists, but still a big time power forward.

Gary Roberts, hasn't fought much since the neck problems, but still tough as nails, and a big time playoff performer.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
Nobody is tougher, if tough means willing to get beat up, than my hero, Kelly Buchberger.

Buchberger is brave I'll give him that. He took one of the all-time beatings I've witnessed from Donald Brashear about two years ago. Must have taken about 15 consecutive shots to the face from Brashear before he finally slumped to the ice.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Stevens was a notch below Tocchet in termes of toughness/fighting IMO, but had a bit more skill. He was talented, but his numbers were obviously helped along by playing with Mario and the rest of the highly skilled Pens.

He was never the same player after he essentially broke his face, which I think was during the 94 playoffs.

Others to add to the list:

Eric Lindros, when healthy the best power forward. Period.

Keith Tkachuk, more known for his stickwork than his fists, but still a big time power forward.

Gary Roberts, hasn't fought much since the neck problems, but still tough as nails, and a big time playoff performer.

I think it was Rich Pilon who hit Kevin Stevens.

Couldnt agree more about Tkachuk, the fact that he is a stickman pisses me off big time.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
Nobody is tougher, if tough means willing to get beat up, than my hero, Kelly Buchberger.

Also tough are Michael Nylander and Mike Modano's fabulous rock em sock em poodle Anastasia. ;)
I also am a huge buchberger fan. I thnk the fact tht he is getting older leads to a lot of these beatings that he takes nowadays. When he was younge he hld his own more often then not.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Buchberger is brave I'll give him that. He took one of the all-time beatings I've witnessed from Donald Brashear about two years ago. Must have taken about 15 consecutive shots to the face from Brashear before he finally slumped to the ice.
Gotta give him big points just for going with a guy like Brashear. Where the hell were the other Penguin tough guys at.

Superfluous U

Jan 15, 2004
At a Stone Prison on a Hill
c-carp said:
I also am a huge buchberger fan. I thnk the fact tht he is getting older leads to a lot of these beatings that he takes nowadays. When he was younge he hld his own more often then not.

I don't really remember him ever holding his own that well, but he was always willing to get the crap kicked out of him.

Edit: Don't take that to mean I didn't love the guy. I did. He was great. A real warrior.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Flame_Star_Devil said:
How about Randy McKay? Not the greatest player, but he was a solid Devil for a long time.
Very good player, I just consider him to be much like Probert Or Domi an enforcer that can play. I guess a better title for the thread would have been skilled players with legit toughness.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
c-carp said:
I think it was Rich Pilon who hit Kevin Stevens.

Couldnt agree more about Tkachuk, the fact that he is a stickman pisses me off big time.
Yeah it was Pilon in '93. It was a race to the puck on an icing call. Stevens face hit Pilons helmet and he was KOed before he hit the ice. I remember doctors saying that the bones in his forhead looked like a broken potato chip. :eek:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Gerard Gallant is probably better than most on that list.Terry O'Reilly was earlier
but he would also fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->