Best-to-watch Winter classic ever to be played in Tampere

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Ilves - Tappara and Ilves -HIFK games will be played @ sorsapuiston ulkojää (Sorsapuisto outside ice).

The rink will be "glass", so you will see trought the rink. The crowds will be build to host 13 000 fans. The crowds will be just nex to the rink, just like in inside arena, so it wont be hard to follow the game, which is the major problem of winter classics so far.

The venue is in middle of the city in beautiful place, so it'll probably be a beauty of a winter classic games all in all.

map: https://goo.gl/maps/73RYVXzKVzw

328a369.jpg

Sorsapuisto in 60's. Couldn't find newer clear photo that would've agreed to be pasted here as an image.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
http://liiga.fi/uutiset/2016/02/25/liiga-palaa-ulkojaille-tana-vuonna-kaksi-ottelua

interesting points:
when? 16-17.12.
see through rink.
national team also plays at 17th, but the games will not overlap.
SJL is okay with the date.

sadly the games are played in december, so knowing tampere climate there propably wont be any snow and it will be raining.

There is a solid chance to pull some snow, too. I wouldn't bet big money on it but let's hope for the best, it shouldn't be impossible.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'd say this will sum up the location of the rink just about perfectly.

iaWVYhQ.jpg

Right about... guess where.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
I'm guessing this will be an epic failure. Big events are almost always horribly organized in Finland, unless there's a foreign event management company involved.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I'm guessing this will be an epic failure. Big events are almost always horribly organized in Finland, unless there's a foreign event management company involved.

Not true. The WJC was great and... well, I don't need to start, as you can't name a single failed event ouside of lastest skoda cups.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Not true. The WJC was great and... well, I don't need to start, as you can't name a single failed event ouside of lastest skoda cups.

The Sonispheres, the first Weekend-festival etc... The last winter classic in Tampere was a very weak effort too , but maybe some lessons were learned from that ;)

The stand layout looks very good, so maybe the actual match will be pleasant to watch. The crowd is very close to the action, something that's typically missing in outdoor matches.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The Sonispheres, the first Weekend-festival etc... The last winter classic in Tampere was a very weak effort too , but maybe some lessons were learned from that ;)

The stand layout looks very good, so maybe the actual match will be pleasant to watch. The crowd is very close to the action, something that's typically missing in outdoor matches.

Exactly, and the boards will be "see-trough" material. That material and rink being build very close, just for hockey purpose is why I put best-to-watch winter classic. This will be first this type of game that is really done right, crowds built for hockey, close to rink like it should be.

I guess Finland doese't have one or two dominate "tapahtumajärjestäjä", so it varies alot between different events. Events that I have attented (not many), have been good. The only really common problem is too high beer, fan product ect prices and perhaps too high ticket prices.

Petskuta

May 15, 2011

Great examples. Sonisphere is organized by a foreign promotion. Weekend on the other hand is Finnish, but with a lot of foreign influence. The more traditional festivals and big events are organized well. I actually work in event production. I can't see why this event could'nt be successful.

Last edited by a moderator:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Followed this from tv,

They did the best winter classic I have seen. Reason: Crowds were close to ice.

Atmopshere seemed good and really old schoolish, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->