Best teams to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Which international teams do you love watching?

I love Canada for obvious reasons. I'm Canadian, they have great skill and passion and play a really open and exciting style most of the time.

Second I like Slovakia. The skill of their forwards is something to behold and the style they play as a unit is greatly entertaining as well.

I also like Sweden because they are very offensive and sometimes very unpredictable. Plus I love their uniforms and for some phsycological reason I think it's appealing for me to watch them.

I like watching the US too, because it's fun to watch Dipietro play the game and although right now they are in such a player transition that they don't have tremendous skill, they have a lot of bright young players that play a high energy, offensive style.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
One more thread in the series of "Oh Canada is God of Hockey" threads.

Ok, so what's the question again? What team do we love watching?

Of course it's Canada! How could it be otherwise. I mean there's a Maple Leaf on the players' jerseys and there's also guys like Nash who do whatever pleases them with the refs!

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
wilka91 said:

Of course it's Canada! How could it be otherwise. I mean there's a Maple Leaf on the players' jerseys and there's also guys like Nash who do whatever pleases them with the refs!

Honestly, you have some sort of complex. Get over it. It's hockey.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
1. Russia. Whey they play like they can, nothing can match them.

2. Finland. They skate like the wind and works tirelessly. I'll get flamed for this but personally I think there are no players that fight harder than a finnish player on the national team.

3. Latvia. Great fans. Not the best players in the world but they are all very technical and even though they seldom come out victorious, they give 100% and when they occationally score, it's almost always a beauty. And I'm a big fan of any goalie that wears a Jofa helmet with a cage dated in the mid '80s. Irbe is the man.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Well seriously I enjoy watching Sweden a lot : no team can match Sweden's puck movement in the offensive zone, especially when players such as Forsberg, Z or Alfredsson are on the ice.

I like watching the Czechs too, especially when Jagr has the puck.

I can't stand watching Canada or the US simply because it's always the same, like a bad cliché : a player skates into the zone, makes one pass and here goes the one timer, and if it doesn't go in they'll build something from a lucky bounce.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Obviously I prefer watching my home nation play the most... since those games matter the most, but excluding Sweden it goes:

1. Russia (on a good day, it is magic watching the highly-skilled Russian forwards with their technical skills and speed).
2. Canada (I really enjoy physical hockey and it does not get more physical than this)
3. Slovakia (tremendously skilled offensively and although defense and goaltending is still suspect at times, they are always fun to watch)

-------
I am not a big fan of...
.. the Czech Republic and their counter attacks :)
... Ukraine... with what they like to call "hockey", but in reality is "hooking"
.... Finland when they have the a 2-3 goal lead and stop attacking (even though it has worked to Sweden's advantage a couple of times)

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
wilka91 said:

Wow will you ever be mad when Canada beats Russia tomorrow....

just kidding, just kidding :D

If I had to cheer for another team than my country's it would be Slovakia this year and Russia usually but I haven't seen them play this year. I don't like Bure and Yashin but Russia has so much skill, they'll never bore you.
Sweden's good too because you never know if Belarus will beat them :biglaugh: and they have sick skill too.

I just don't like the Czechs ever since 1998, even if Mario owned Hasek in 2002.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
wilka91 said:

Jeez, you are one bitter dude, dude. Sounds like the guy starting the thread was pretty dang open minded to me. Why don't you just go out and kick your dog or something - you'll feel better.

My fav team to watch in this tourney so far (other than the cheerleaders...) has been the Slovaks. If they could ever produce another Dman and a goalie, there would be some damage done. :yo:

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Berkut said:
Why you don't like Bure and Yashin?

I'm a Sens fan I don't think you need to know more as to why I don't like Yashin, and Bure's pretty much in the same group: players with tremendous talent who underachieve/fail to provide effort.
IIRC Bure has never led Team Russia to any gold medal in the WCs same as Yashin though both have enough talent to do so.
IMO Bure is a primadonna while Yashin simply can't seem to raise his game when it counts.

Fedorov, Kovalev, Mogilny and Samsonov though, with Malakhov, A.Markov and Kasparaitis on defence (i know he hasn't always been the best in international play at least he seemed to be emotional about it) and Khabibulin or Nabokov in nets, THAT's a great team. Russia has so much talent beyond Bure and Yashin, they could make a great team without them.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Bure is in a different class than any of the forwards you just named. Although Mogilny is close. (In my opinion)

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Finland.... This is my homer pick lol but still.. they play hard every game (with this year as a exception) and usually don't give up even if they don't have the ability to keep a lead...

It pains me to say this (lol) but Sweden is a good team to watch, usually exciting... especially when playing against Finland

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
wilka91 said:

Nice addition to the thread. I don't care if people don't like watching Canada and I'm sure as hell not looking for everyone to talk about that. If you have nothing to add, stay out of the thread. If you want to talk about which teams you enjoy watching then post something insightful or interesting.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:

Talk about having a huge complex.

Lalonde

Aug 20, 2004
wilka91 said:
I can't stand watching Canada or the US simply because it's always the same, like a bad cliché : a player skates into the zone, makes one pass and here goes the one timer, and if it doesn't go in they'll build something from a lucky bounce.

:biglaugh: Are you Steve Wander or what?

Did you watch Canada's games in Wolrd Cup or WJC U-20?
"one pass and lucky bounce"?! Open your eyes! :shakehead

I like watching North American teams(Canada and U.S). and Russia, of course.Canadians usually play an attacking,aggressive style with a good speed,they skate perfectly and have "staunch steel character".Russians have some unique highly-skilled young talents and they play an attacking style,too , so it's great to watch their play.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Canada, for the emotional aspect. I really get tense during close games, and for me, the tension is what makes me come back time and time again to cheer for this team. Nothing can match the emotion felt during sporting events.

Slovakia, for entertainment. They have awesome forwards, some of my favourite players, and the underdog status. What's not to like?

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Russia by faaaar. Not because I'm a fan of Russia, but because they play beautiful hockey! Speed, more speed, skill and more skill! That's what hockey should be like.
I compare Russian hockey to Brazilian football!

On the other side it's Canada. Everytime Canada plays I hate them, but if I put that hate aside I like their hard-hitting and strong play as well.

Slovaks because they have the closest style of play to the Russians.

Czechs are playing probably the most impressive all-around hockey and when Jagr is on the ice it's beauty to watch.

Don't know what to say about Sweden

Finland's defensive play is boring to watch. I miss Sellane! I'm very curious how this team will play in the next couple of years. Should be very entertaining with Tuomo Ruutu, Lehtonen and some of the young guns.

The US. Haven't seen them much lately, but their play vs. CZE was disgusting to watch! Effective, but so slow and boring. The Czechs were down 2-0 after first probably because they were amazed by their oponent's ugly play. Although they played OK in SLC.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
The Finns high energy and physical play is appealing...

TORRUS said:
Russia by faaaar. Not because I'm a fan of Russia, but because they play beautiful hockey! Speed, more speed, skill and more skill! That's what hockey should be like.
Except Ronaldo and company are great passers too, and few Russians have done much of it in this tourney. It's been like a bunch of Diego Maradona's surging in by themself.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
TORRUS said:
I don't compare it to Brazilian soccer because brazilian soccer means falling all over the place in agony when someone takes a firm glance at you. ;)

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Predatore said:
.... Finland when they have the a 2-3 goal lead and stop attacking (even though it has worked to Sweden's advantage a couple of times)
You know what, we Finns hate that also. Not only because how it looks, but also because it NEVER succeeds. :biglaugh: Problem is, that it is mostly caused by fear of losing that kicks in every time team Finland has lead, tactics are less a problem. :teach:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Wisent said:
I don't compare it to Brazilian soccer because brazilian soccer means falling all over the place in agony when someone takes a firm glance at you. ;)
There's been some diving going on in this tourney, just ask Palffy. ;)

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
For myself:

1. Russia - I just adore the skill possesed by this team... even the worst player on the team can easily accept a pass with his skates. The young Russian generation, much like the previous (but still valid) generation of Federov, Mogilny Yashin, etc. is a pure joy to watch. Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Malkin... oh my.

2. Canada - The combination of skill and physical domination make this team a great deal of fun to view. The high end players (Thornton, Nash, Heatley, Brodeur, etc.) are amongst the best in the game. Only number two for the number of boring grinders they have... you can't tell me you stand up when Draper and Walker are on a 2 on 1.

3. Czech Republic - Always having a great deal of skilled players, it is surprising that they have been unable to ice more winning teams in the past few years. The fun of watching Jagr and Havlat (errrr...) alone are enough to make them great to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->