Best teams to never win the Cup

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Did anyone realistically see them as being better than Dallas, Colorado, and Detroit? I know they had a better regular season record, but those other three teams were more proven in the postseason.

I fully expected the Blues to get to the SCF in 2001 when Colorado lost Peter Forsberg due to injury. But Roy was the difference in that series and the Blues opted to go with Brent Johnson after Roman Turek faltered. In the four games that Turek started, St. Louis outshot Colorado 152-109 but the Avs had the 3-1 series lead (if I'm counting correctly, Turek had a .872 sv% in his games while Roy countered at .937). St. Louis swept Dallas in round 2 as well, so they looked pretty dangerous. I suppose three of the WCF games went to OT, so it might have been closer than it looks in retrospect.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I fully expected the Blues to get to the SCF in 2001 when Colorado lost Peter Forsberg due to injury. But Roy was the difference in that series and the Blues opted to go with Brent Johnson after Roman Turek faltered. In the four games that Turek started, St. Louis outshot Colorado 152-109 but the Avs had the 3-1 series lead (if I'm counting correctly, Turek had a .872 sv% in his games while Roy countered at .937). St. Louis swept Dallas in round 2 as well, so they looked pretty dangerous. I suppose three of the WCF games went to OT, so it might have been closer than it looks in retrospect.
Now I'm sorry I mentioned the Blues in this thread. I'm getting that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach again, the one I get every year when playoff time rolls around. :oops:

Reactions: Tarantula

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
pittsburgh penguins 2000-01 season!!.Mario came back and team had Mario,Jagr,Straka,Kovalev,Lang....

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
1) 2004 Flyers
2) 2002 Maple Leafs
3) 1999 Maple Leafs
4) 1999 Sabres
5) 1985-1988 Flyers

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
1) 2004 Flyers
2) 2002 Maple Leafs
3) 1999 Maple Leafs
4) 1999 Sabres
5) 1985-1988 Flyers

I’ll give you the 1999 Sabres and 1987 Flyers as being very, very good teams that could/should have won the Stanley Cup in those years. But I’m going to argue that the 1993 Maple Leafs were superior to the ‘99 and ‘02 Toronto squads.

The ‘85, ‘86, ‘88, and ‘04 Flyers - in my opinion - don’t belong on this list, either.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
I’ll give you the 1999 Sabres and 1987 Flyers as being very, very good teams that could/should have won the Stanley Cup in those years. But I’m going to argue that the 1993 Maple Leafs were superior to the ‘99 and ‘02 Toronto squads.

The ‘85, ‘86, ‘88, and ‘04 Flyers - in my opinion - don’t belong on this list, either.

The 2002 Maple Leafs should have gone to the finals. Who can argue against a team with Mats Sundin, Curtis Joseph, Bryan McCabe, Alex Mogilny, Gary Roberts, and Darcy Tucker?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
The (4) Ranger teams from 70 to 74. A Cup Finals and (3) Semi-Final defeats. Brad Park, the GAG line, Eddie Giacomin, a lot of talent on those teams. They deserved 1 Cup out of that.

How bout the 74-75 French Connection Buffalo Sabres?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
The 2002 Maple Leafs should have gone to the finals. Who can argue against a team with Mats Sundin, Curtis Joseph, Bryan McCabe, Alex Mogilny, Gary Roberts, and Darcy Tucker?

They would of been eaten by the wings anyways in 4 games.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
1985-1988 Flyers

The 1988 Flyers were not even close to winning a Cup. They finished 38-33-9 for 3rd in the Patrick. In the playoffs, they blew a 3 games to 1 lead to Washington in the Patrick semi-finals. There was discord on the team, along with injuries to Tim Kerr, and subpar seasons from Pelle Eklund, Ilikka Sinisalo, Ron Sutter and Brad Marsh. Combine this with the team revolting against the soon to be fired Mike Keenan, the seeds were sown for the Flyers downturn of the late 80's and early 90's

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

There’s a reason why the Leafs never won a series after beating the Sens.

Those were old school playoff rivalry series.

If the Sens had won any of them, I suspect the same thing would have happened to them.

The sweep is the exception and just an overall choke.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
1. 1975 Buffalo Sabres - So much talent, French Connection in their prime, solid defense led by Korab, Guevremont, Fogolin and Schoenfeld. If they only had goaltending. -- or maybe if Roger Crozier could have played all the games. Gerry Desjardins was the worst.

2. 1938 New York Americans -- The Amerks finally beat their arch rival Rangers in the 1st round only to narrowly lose to Chicago in the next. The Blackhawks finished the year with a dismal 14-25-9 record and went on to win the Cup. The Amerks were coached by Red Dutton led by "Sweeney" Schriner, Nels Stewart, Loren Carr and Tommy Anderson.

normal.jpeg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers have a few teams on this list. The 79-80 team that had the 35 game unbeaten streak but lsot to the Islanders thanks to an offsides goal earlier in the deciding game and the 86-87 team that went 7 games with the powerhouse Oilers despite missing their best goal scorer (Tim Kerr).

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The 1986-87 were the greatest "team" to never win a Cup IMO. They took the Oilers (at their peak) to Game 7 without Kerr and with Howe and McCrimmon playing severely injured. Not to mention, rookie Hextall won the Vezina.

Here's two fun facts from that series that most fans are not aware of...

1. After game 7, Wayne Gretzky asked Bob Clarke if he could come into the Flyers room and talk to the players. Gretzky told the Flyers to hold their heads up high because they were the greatest team he had ever faced in his life (his words).

2. Paul Coffey, who became a Flyer at the end of his career, became good friends with Flyers equipment manager Turk Evers. Coffey told him that going into Game 7, the Oilers were scared to death of the Flyers, because they have no off button and were relentless.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
1. 1975 Buffalo Sabres - So much talent, French Connection in their prime, solid defense led by Korab, Guevremont, Fogolin and Schoenfeld. If they only had goaltending. -- or maybe if Roger Crozier could have played all the games. Gerry Desjardins was the worst.

2. 1938 New York Americans -- The Amerks finally beat their arch rival Rangers in the 1st round only to narrowly lose to Chicago in the next. The Blackhawks finished the year with a dismal 14-25-9 record and went on to win the Cup. The Amerks were coached by Red Dutton led by "Sweeney" Schriner, Nels Stewart, Loren Carr and Tommy Anderson.

normal.jpeg

Interesting choice with the Americans. They were only a .500 team, but had a surprising number of Hall of Famers that you don't typically associate with them. I actually had no idea that Hap Day and Hooley Smith played for the Amerks until I looked it up. Also had long time Ranger Ching Johnson in his final season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
2009-2010 San Jose Sharks

It's not so unbelievable they lost to Chicago but they picked a bad year to be good. An offense with Heatley, Paveslki, Marleau, Thornton a defense with MEV, Boyle and even Rob Blake. And of course Nabokov being his usual ridiculous self all year. If there was any team talented enough to knock off the Hawks in their prime I always thought this one was the best as opposed to that stiff playing Kings team.

There's probably a few I can spit ball but this post is long enough. Your thoughts?

Mods delete if this is a duplicate thread.

I will never understand people constantly crapping on the 2014 Kings. It's truly bizarre. It seems like the only franchise's fans that give that team respect is Chicago. Kings were basically the only thing that stopped the 'dynasty' talk. Otherwise, you're looking at a Hawks team with 4 Stanley Cups in 6 years including a threepeat.

So, my nominee would be the 2014 Hawks. That team was a 2010s woodchipper.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
I will never understand people constantly crapping on the 2014 Kings. It's truly bizarre. It seems like the only franchise's fans that give that team respect is Chicago. Kings were basically the only thing that stopped the 'dynasty' talk. Otherwise, you're looking at a Hawks team with 4 Stanley Cups in 6 years including a threepeat.

So, my nominee would be the 2014 Hawks. That team was a 2010s woodchipper.

Outside of that one comment about the 2014 Kings being stiff playing, I've never heard anyone really crap on them. In my mind, they were a great team who put the Hawks' dynasty on hold.

Not to really disrespect to the New York Rangers, but for many league observers the 2014 Stanley Cup Final was the Western Conference Final. I mean, yes, the Rangers had a chance in the Final, but the Kings seemed heavily favoured in my opinion at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad